"Hard Work"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Hard Work"

I thought it was just me, but I just went through a transcript and counted... President Bush mentioned ELEVEN times in the debate the phrase "hard work".

Did anyone here think that being President of the United States Of America was easy? Because unless the general public carried that conception, that's quite the concept to be driving home.
    [volun2]
    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Re: &quot;Hard Work&quot;

Originally posted by Pokerface
    I thought it was just me, but I just went through a transcript and counted... President Bush mentioned ELEVEN times in the debate the phrase "hard work".

Did anyone here think that being President of the United States Of America was easy? Because unless the general public carried that conception, that's quite the concept to be driving home.
    I noticed that the first time I saw the transcript... It was strange for him to focus in on that phrase. Wonder if it was intentional? Anyway, the phrase wasn't always directed at him or his office.
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
      I noticed that the first time I saw the transcript... It was strange for him to focus in on that phrase. Wonder if it was intentional? Anyway, the phrase wasn't always directed at him or his office.
      It was either the office or the rebuilding of Iraq. Roughly the same amount to both.

Hearing a one-term incumbant talk about the difficulties of the office is a pretty silly concept, I think. "You couldn't possibly understand the rigors of this office which you do not hold" says the man who didn't hold the office four years ago, and who must necessarily give it up in four more years if re-elected anyway.

And as to the rebuilding of Iraq... I think that's probably another issue where the voters have a fair amount of clarity regarding the difficulty of the work (at the very least, the DANGER of the work is in the news often enough).
      [volun2]
      Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.

Comment

I interpreted it as a reminder to the American people that what is happening there is'nt easy and won't be accomplished overnight. Kerry's position seems to be that since things are peachy in Iraq it's a disaster, and Bush's position is that the work we're doing in Iraq is dirty, messy, difficult, and won't be accomplished overnight.

Bush has never failed to mention difficult days ahead when describing Iraq.

edit: From President Bush's speech aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln (http://www.milparts.net/bush-on-uss-lincoln.html):

"We have difficult work to do in Iraq."
        Last edited by leejo; 10-04-2004, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface
          It was either the office or the rebuilding of Iraq. Roughly the same amount to both.

Hearing a one-term incumbant talk about the difficulties of the office is a pretty silly concept, I think. "You couldn't possibly understand the rigors of this office which you do not hold" says the man who didn't hold the office four years ago, and who must necessarily give it up in four more years if re-elected anyway.

And as to the rebuilding of Iraq... I think that's probably another issue where the voters have a fair amount of clarity regarding the difficulty of the work (at the very least, the DANGER of the work is in the news often enough).
          Yeah, I mean he's had it pretty easy if you think about it. Stock market crash and recessioin, attack on our country and two ousted regimes. What the hell is he compaining about? Besides, he says that because he's just a simpleton and can't come up with anything else to say.
          New to TG?

Comment

Originally posted by USN_Squid
            Yeah, I mean he's had it pretty easy if you think about it. Stock market crash and recessioin, attack on our country and two ousted regimes. What the hell is he compaining about?
            I'm not trying to say that he isn't allowed to say that it's hard work. What I'm trying to point out is that saying that the work is so hard that only an incumbant is qualified for the job is relatively preposterous.

Besides, he says that because he's just a simpleton and can't come up with anything else to say.
            THIS much, we both agree on. :)
            It doesn't say much for someone's policies when they spend an entire evening of debate harping on alleged character flaws instead of talking about the issues. The debate would have been a WONDERFUL time to lay out the plan for Iraq, and least say more than "Elections in January, and train the police." He seemed to run out of things to say 30 minutes in.
            [volun2]

Comment

Besides, he says that because he's just a simpleton and can't come up with anything else to say.
              I know you were just trying to exercise a bit of sarcasm but that's one of the few accurate statements you've ever made concerning your president, what's gotten into you? I liked the time he just literally stared into the camera with that blank, dumbfounded look on his face for a full 4-5 seconds only to come up with a single syllable word (folks, I think...) to begin what he thought was a sentence. :icon_lol:

Oh, but you can't read this because I'm in your "ignore list"... :icon_lol:
              Last edited by DeRanger; 10-04-2004, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerface
                THIS much, we both agree on. :)
                It doesn't say much for someone's policies when they spend an entire evening of debate harping on alleged character flaws instead of talking about the issues. The debate would have been a WONDERFUL time to lay out the plan for Iraq, and least say more than "Elections in January, and train the police." He seemed to run out of things to say 30 minutes in.
                I'm sorry- were you referring to Bush or Kerry above? It's so hard to tell the difference sometimes.

Comment

Bush. Kerry attacked Bush's choices on the war, not his character.
                  [volun2]

Comment

Are you kidding me? In between reminding us that he was in Vietnam, Kerry said that Bush was dishonest. Now, he is outright calling the guy a liar. How do you figure Kerry wasn't attacking Bush's character?

Comment

Originally posted by =luna=
                      Are you kidding me? In between reminding us that he was in Vietnam, Kerry said that Bush was dishonest. Now, he is outright calling the guy a liar. How do you figure Kerry wasn't attacking Bush's character?
                      Well, saying that Bush misled America into war COULD be construed as calling him a liar, I suppose. I saw it as more of an attack on the choices that the president has made with regards to the war. But to each her own, I suppose. I can cede that point.

As to Kerry's reminding us about his war experience, he made reference to it precisely twice that I can find in the transcript, both of which appear below. Twice in 90 minutes ain't so bad compared to the hammered talking-points of Bush: some variant of "wrong war in the wrong place at the wrong time" happened no less than seven times in the debate, and THREE times in between these two Vietnam references.

--------------
                      "I believe that when you know something's going wrong, you make it right. That's what I learned in Vietnam. When I came back from that war I saw that it was wrong. Some people don't like the fact that I stood up to say no, but I did. And that's what I did with that vote. And I'm going to lead those troops to victory. "
                      "I understand what the president is talking about, because I know what it means to lose people in combat. And the question, is it worth the cost, reminds me of my own thinking when I came back from fighting in that war.
                      And it reminds me that it is vital for us not to confuse the war, ever, with the warriors. That happened before. "
                      ---------------
                      [volun2]

Comment

Reading one of Bush's speaches, it's easy to get caught up in what's being said. He has EXCELLENT writers and what they put on paper for him to read is something I can agree with.

What I cannot do is support someone who can't think quickly enough to handle himself well in a debate. I know public speaking isn't easy for most but I expect more from someone who's the leader of our country, we all should. Bush, IMHO, did a miserable job during the debate. Kerry wasn't much better, mind you, but at least I don't feel embarrased for him when he speaks. Bush is Lester without Willie Tyler when he doesn't have something someone else wrote for him in front of him. (some of you young pups may have to look that reference up) :icon_cool

Comment

I think Bush's strategy was to not screw up. Bush was getting well ahead of Kerry in the polls before the debate, and Kerry has had quite a few gaffs that could be called flip-flops or Teresea moments, or just bad PR (bunny suit). So, I think they just wanted to avoid saying anything new or controversial and let Kerry open his yap and get caught.

The problem is that that plan backfired. Kerry was a champion debator in HS and College and spent 20 years in the Senate the largest debating club in the world. Bush can't compete against that, and their plan to just stick to a simple issue and not risk anything in the debate cost him the debate as Kerry kept hammering away. I was talking to the TV (okay yelling) telling Bush how to respond and he just kept saying...."look, its hard work....Kerry thinks its the wrong war, etc..how can you lead troops like that"...blah. :icon_redf This was a debate, which really is not a glimpse into how someone would govern.

Given Kerry's record in the Senate as a Legislator, not a debator, I'll vote for Bush. It seems impossible to me to change governments and ideals in the middle of conflict and make it work, besides, it's hard work you know.
                          New to TG?

Comment

I personally don't think either of them is a good candidate, Bush because of his religious views and Kerry because of his wife.

Sadly, our duoploy doesn't allow for a real choice. We're forced to choose between two individuals who have been propped up by their respective parties because the parties feel they can talk enough BS and have clean enough histories to get the votes to win. It's not about who is the better candidate, we vote for which party has the best spin.

And please don't give me the tired "then vote for Ralph" line. The other parties are only tolerated because each party at one time or another has felt like the third party could pull enough votes away from the opposition to help win the election. And it has. A vote for Ralph is a wasted vote, which is why I'll be staying away from the polls. Give me a "None of the above" option and I'll be there (or give me someone I can truly get behind and support).

Comment

Originally posted by wickerman
                              I personally don't think either of them is a good candidate, Bush because of his religious views and Kerry because of his wife.
                              Those reasons have problems. It's not Bush's religious views that are wrong, it's him trying to ram those beliefs "down our throats" or using them as a excuse as to why he pushes certain views.

Look at Arnold: he's a right-wing Republican and devout Christian, but he will put those beliefs aside to lead if the facts show it's in the best interest of society. If I'm not mistaken, he just signed a law to allow clean-needles to be given to junkies. Sure it's the lesser of two evils, but it's what can best be done.

And judging Kerry on his wife has more obvious flaws.

Give me a "None of the above" option and I'll be there (or give me someone I can truly get behind and support).
                              Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there is that option. Although, while searching for a picture of a presidential ballot, I happend upon this old page: Great Stuff

The bottom pic is the best.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X