Grey-Hoverman Antenna

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grey-Hoverman Antenna

Just as I'm part of the % of the population that games on Windows 2000, I'm also part of the % of the population who uses arial broadcasts. With the FCC cashing in by pushing nearly all broadcast into UHF in the States under the cloak of "Digital Broadcast," an old UHF antenna design from the 50's caught the attention of some antenna geeks and using the power of internets and computers, they worked out a revised design and kicked it out under GPL3 of all things.

Clearly, I had to blow a few hours on making one. And thus, a few hours later, birthed from the Pile O' Scrappy Crap, came this:

$4 loop and bowtie antennas: NBC and Mehico, which isn't impressive since NBC is one of the few stations running ATSC with a VHF signal, and the Univision/Telemundo is broadcasting from nowhere-land, which is pretty close to where I live.

Grey-Hoverman made from junk: NBC, PBS, CBS, ABC, CW, Mexico, FOX, Praise Jesus, Praise Jesus Even More, Independentsorta, and a block of subchannels coming out of the local college.

Not bad for wood in the scrap bucket, three metres of 12-guage, reflectors chopped off an inferior antenna, and the worst most-bendy nails in the universe.

Seriously, they were plotting against me or something.

Re: Grey-Hoverman Antenna

That's pretty interesting! I love DIY tech!
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by MagnaCentipede View Post
      Just as I'm part of the % of the population that games on Windows 2000, I'm also part of the % of the population who uses arial broadcasts. With the FCC cashing in by pushing nearly all broadcast into UHF in the States under the cloak of "Digital Broadcast," an old UHF antenna design from the 50's caught the attention of some antenna geeks and using the power of internets and computers, they worked out a revised design and kicked it out under GPL3 of all things.

Clearly, I had to blow a few hours on making one. And thus, a few hours later, birthed from the Pile O' Scrappy Crap, came this:

$4 loop and bowtie antennas: NBC and Mehico, which isn't impressive since NBC is one of the few stations running ATSC with a VHF signal, and the Univision/Telemundo is broadcasting from nowhere-land, which is pretty close to where I live.

Grey-Hoverman made from junk: NBC, PBS, CBS, ABC, CW, Mexico, FOX, Praise Jesus, Praise Jesus Even More, Independentsorta, and a block of subchannels coming out of the local college.

Not bad for wood in the scrap bucket, three metres of 12-guage, reflectors chopped off an inferior antenna, and the worst most-bendy nails in the universe.

Seriously, they were plotting against me or something.
      Dude, you can't post something this cool and not give the link to the directions!

Comon'!
      Im not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

And the neighbors thought I was crazy for having a 20' CB/HAM antenna and a discone scanner antenna on the roof. I did scrap the plans for putting up the 40' tower and rotating beam antenna though.

Nice work and ingenuity though!

Comment

While the cloudy overnight reception rocked the casbah, the Florida sun came out and cut half the stations out from under me.

So, naturally, I told the sun to go flare itself and made a bigger one.

Using the mighty power of the two-bay Gray-Hoverman* antenna, I expect to suck all the TV out of the skies, once I drink enough Dr Pepper to shimmy my butt up that ladder.

* Emphasis on the a because I misspelled it, earning myself hit number one for Grey-Hoverman on Google this morning.

Comment

Since Magna won't do it I will.

I think this is the Link to directions
            Im not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
            - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
            - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
            - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
            - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
            - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
            - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Magna's other developments....
              :icon26:
              Attached Files
              "Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." Gen. George Patton

Comment

So, I got it up into the third-floor of the guest quarters, ran the coax across the plantation, and everything seems just peachy.

I turn on the TV at 2am and what do I see?

NASONEX BEE KILLED DIGITAL TELEVISION!

The error code is Undefined Instruction, which means there's a bytecode error in the firmware. Thank you ZENITH DTT900.

Comment

Originally posted by MagnaCentipede View Post
                  So, I got it up into the third-floor of the guest quarters, ran the coax across the plantation, and everything seems just peachy.

I turn on the TV at 2am and what do I see?

NASONEX BEE KILLED DIGITAL TELEVISION!

The error code is Undefined Instruction, which means there's a bytecode error in the firmware. Thank you ZENITH DTT900.
                  Looks like you and your antenna are having an extraterrestrial encounter.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X