Dean Kamen's newist (greatest??) invention

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dean Kamen's newist (greatest??) invention

Most of you will know who this guy is only because of his best known invention, the Segway.
    Truth is, that is probably his least greatest invention in my opinion, compared to his amazing work right now on a robotic hand for ampitues, and his next gen wheelchair that can climb stairs.
    Video Biography:
    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHwCPHcKAqY[/media]
    Charlie Rose Interview:
    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzy5WN6TqeE[/media]
    Arm:
    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hzRja9eunY[/media]
    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWezOoodJZU[/media]

But, if this thing that was just announced turns out to be real, it will blow all the others away.
    I usually keep up with his work, but the first time I heard about his new "Miracle Water Distiller" was on the Colbert Report show.
    http://gizmodo.com/370698/colbert-fi...ater-distiller

I have an environmental science degree, and in a lot of my classes we talked about the fact that the number 1 killer of people world wide is something that is related to bad water, either not enough or it is dirty and they get sick from it. They mention that in the clip. But we also talked a lot in the classes about population, and resource management.
    So this has me thinking, if all of a sudden we drasticly cut the death rate down, isn't the population in places where this will help the most going to explode. Those are also the places that either won't accept or don't have access to birth control. It is known that as a society becomes more modern and advanced, the birthrate goes down, like in Japan and much of Western Europe. But many of the places this will help the most are not advanced, and will suffer from a huge explosion in the birth rate.
    These are places where there are already limited resources like food, and if the population explodes, it will just mean more people dieing from starvation, more wars and fighting over limited resources, etc.

I don't know, what do you guys think. Should each one of these water cleaners come with a lifetime supply of the pill and condoms? (Catholics need not respond. You all do just fine trying to overpopulate the world as it is. See example video here: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-DxovgI7NI[/media])

That is one of the funniest videos of all time. I still am brought to tears every time I see it.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Dean Kamen's newist (greatest??) invention

You're probably right about a few things but with those areas there generally comes a lot of political unrest too which tends to thin the numbers a little. The simple fact remains however that everyone has the right to a clean water supply and just as the Western world has dropped its birth rates then so in time will the 3rd world's when/if their societies begin to settle. Over the course of decades and centuries every nation breathes in and out what we can symathize with is when a country is unable to breathe at all.
    sigpic

Comment

I think this is terrible! Missing limbs are God's way of letting you know there's an amputee around. How on earth will I be able to tell amputees from other people if they have all their arms and legs?

Plus, if you start letting amputees have robotic arms, why can't my perverted gay neighbor get a robotic wang to wave at the neighborhood kids? If you let amputees get robotic arms you might as well sodomize a choir boy.

This country is sick.

Comment

.....erm.......humour right?.........
        sigpic

Comment

I'm not sure what to make of leejo's post.

POE2 Developer

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkenPirate View Post
            I'm not sure what to make of leejo's post.
            Hope that its an exceptionally poor attempt at humor?
            I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

I guess I'm tall enough that leejo's post didn't sail over my head. :p
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Over population and diminishing resources (food/ water) is probably a bigger problem than global warming, or running low on oil, in terms of global issues.

Dont know how much these distillers would cost to make or the power requirements, but here is an alternate solution for low quality water (ie not sea / poisoned etc) (can't post url, check youtube for "bike water filter")
                Also appearing as Dr.Congo / Dynamo=Chicken

Comment

What would these H20 challenged populations do with the energy they used to procure water if the complication was suddenly taken away? Besides shnucking.

Comment

I can see where this could be his greatest invention to date. The segway was merely a gizmo, and his work on prosthesis and wheelchair intelligence only serves the handicapped (worthy, but limited). A filterless water distiller would serve the entire world. I too am curious about power consumption and waste water though - I guess these details will show up at some point. Very cool though.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X