Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Third party candidates arrested at debate.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Third party candidates arrested at debate.

http://badnarik.org/newsfromthetrail.php?p=1346

MICHAEL BADNARIK ARRESTED
    October 8

8:38PM CT

The first report from St. Louis is in - and presidential candidates Michael Badnarik (Libertarian) and David Cobb (Green Party) were just arrested. Badnarik was carrying an Order to Show Cause, which he intended to serve the Commission on Presidential Debates (CPD). Earlier today, Libertarians attempted to serve these same papers at the Washington, D.C. headquarters of the CPD - but were stopped from approaching the CPD office by security guards.

Fred Collins reported to me from the ground that Badnarik and Cobb are in great physical condition and great spirit.

As soon as more details are available, they will be posted here immediately.

8:51PM CT

I just spoke with Jon Airheart on his cellular telephone. He reports that while he could see no handcuffs, both Badnarik and Cobb had their hands behind their backs, as if they were handcuffed. Airheart also confirms that Badnarik did have the papers to serve the CPD in his jacket pocket.

9:09PM CT

The first AP report just hit Google News:

Just as the debate began, two third-party presidential candidates purposely crossed a police barricade and were arrested. Green Party presidential candidate David Cobb and Libertarian Party candidate Michael Badnarik were protesting their exclusion from the debate
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Re: Third party candidates arrested at debate.

Those fools actually think this is a Democracy!! We're a Duopoly, anyone with a 3rd grade education and a TV set can see that.

Comment

So, they had legal papers to serve that would probably force them to be included in future debates. Interesting, anyone challenging the staus quo ends up in jail.
      Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
      Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Comment

The powers that be don't want anything BUT a two party system. They only allow additional candidates/parties on the ticket to maintain the appearance of a democracy. Again, we ARE a duopoly. You either vote Democrat or Republican or you might as well stay home for all the good it does.

Comment

I was arrested too as the drunk red-neck candidate. Damn man keeping me down.

My point is that there does need to be some threshold, otherwise every nutjob "candidate" for every "party" will be onstage with the people who are viable candidates. The Ted Nugent Party's candidate will get in a fist fight with the Huggy Bear Party's candidate (actually they might get along fine) and so on.

What's a better solution than the one in place?

Comment

Haha, I can't believe you would say that the less candidates at the debate all the better? Boy I'm glad someone in the government narrowed down the choices for you, they wouldn't want to confuse anyone with options.

How do you know that one of those lesser known candidates isn't the next Einstein? or perhaps just the best man for the job of running your country? Wouldn't you like to hear from them before you dismiss them?

I think the tv debate due to time constraints can only be reserved for the major candidates, but wouldn't you be better served to hear the opinions of the leading top 5 or even better 10 candidates? Maybe mixed in at random with the 'bigger' candidates.
            Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostintheShell
              Haha, I can't believe you would say that the less candidates at the debate all the better? Boy I'm glad someone in the government narrowed down the choices for you, they wouldn't want to confuse anyone with options.

How do you know that one of those lesser known candidates isn't the next Einstein? or perhaps just the best man for the job of running your country? Wouldn't you like to hear from them before you dismiss them?

I think the tv debate due to time constraints can only be reserved for the major candidates, but wouldn't you be better served to hear the opinions of the leading top 5 or even better 10 candidates? Maybe mixed in at random with the 'bigger' candidates.
              Hmmm, well, the recent California gubernatorial race has proven that it's not practical to allow just any ol' candidate to have access to the kind of expensive media coverage that our two major parties are getting right now. On the other hand, Ghost, your point is also valid. Just because we can't let every Tom, Dick and Harry interrupt the serious candidates, it doesn't mean that our current system is fair.

I can't wait to see what happens when the corporation that controls presidential debates ends up in court. We'll see...
              Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

What's a better solution than the one in place?
                2 elections. The first occurs some time at the beginning of the year and serves to narrow the field to the top 5 candidates (or 6 - some small number). This will give any small parties that make the top 5/6 an equal footing with the big boys. Those candidates then have a set amount of money to spend on campaigning. IF the encumbent makes the top 5/6 they get a smaller amount to offset the past 4 years worth of "free" campaigning they've had. The idea there is that if you've done a good job, people will know it and the playing field should be as level as possible.

Also, parties can have primaries if they want to, but they get ZERO television coverage.

Those 5/6 candidates are then randomly grouped into 5 debates with 3 participants. The running mates would also participate in these debates.

That's just off the top of my head, but at first glance it seems a more fair and balanced way to truly offer the American public a choice AND give third party candidates a fighting chance.

Comment

I don't care how many candidates debate, but I do care that those debating have some mandate.

There's a guy here in Austin who wears women's clothes and likes to do stretches on a busy corner downtown wearing a pink thong. Leslie is "his" name and he runs for mayor every election. Why shouldn't he be allowed to "debate" with President Bush and Senator Kerry if he decided to run for President?

Comment

Names are limited on the ballots, and that's state-driven. If these candidates have passed ballot approval in at least a few states, I think they should be allowed to debate; I guess I'd need to check on every state's ballot standards to set a lower limit based on how many states make it too easy.

As I understand it, the main legal issue here is using public funding for the CPD, which is required to be non-partisan if it's using public funding and public places. I found this summary in a stack of posted replies (http://www.reason.com/hitandrun/2004...k.shtml#006908 - please excuse his spelling):
                    ...The reason Badnarik and Cobb are protesting is because the Center for Presidential Debates was given authority over the debates on the condition that they be "non-partisan". Instead, they are acting "bi-partisan". Even though both Badnarik and Cobb are on enough ballots to mathematically win the presidency, they were for some reason denied access to the debates. They claimed they are using a guideline of 5% or more in a major national poll, but all the national polls dont' offer the polled the option of the third parties (except Nader). So, the logic is cricular - they can't get in the poll because they're not in the debates, they can't get included in the debates because they're not included in the polls...
                    What terrifies me is that there is no major network coverage of this event. At the very least, it should have been a little 30-sec vignette spun after the debates were over as the Humorous Side of Presidential Elections when people who want to run for president get arrested. I mean, they couldn't have missed it entirely, right? Can they honestly claim that people wouldn't want to know this and it would waste time they need for ratings? What does this say about ALL of our major networks - CNN, etc, not just Fox?

Comment

http://www.globalissues.org/HumanRights/Media/USA.asp

Comment

http://www.projectcensored.org/publi...005/index.html

Here's the top 25 censored news items.

Comment

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Top 25 censored news items according to Moveon and their pals.

Comment

Why don't you read some of the articles and see if you're still laughing...

Comment

I read those articles 10 years ago when I was in college fighting the man. SSDD.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X