Had to put our cat down tonight.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had to put our cat down tonight.

We've had our four cats for the last decade. We got one of them (Paws the Messiah) when we were still in high school. While I was in Okinawa, my wife somehow took in a nearly feral cat (Yahweh), and right after I got home she adopted the twins (Buddha and Allah). They were identical except for a small black dot on their noses and one of them was quite a bit chubbier.

Well, this afternoon my 4 year old son went into the other room to pick out a DVD for us to watch and he said that Buddha was walking funny. I went in just in time to see him bump into my dresser and tumble on to his back. His breathing was rapid and shallow. He was very unsteady on his feet and he lost control of his bowels seconds later.

My wife came home and the three of us took him to the vet. Vet ran some blood tests, told us that he probably had liver damage and was also blind, possibly permanently. She said the liver damage was likely caused by high blood pressure, which was possibly caused by a thyroid problem. The cost to keep him over the weekend to moniter and rehydrate him would have been almost a thousand dollars. I don't know what we would've done if we had that much money sitting in our bank account, but we didn't, so the choice was less difficult, but far from easy.

My son had a difficult time with it, but he stayed in the room while Buddha went to sleep. It tore me up when he kept crying "But I don't want Buddha to die..." over and over. I think that overall he handled it very well, though. Tomorrow we're going to have a funeral for the cat.

I don't know why I'm sharing this with all of you. I guess I liked the damn cat much more than I thought. After ten years, he was family.

Anyway, rest in peace, Buddha:

Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Re: Had to put our cat down tonight.

Sorry to hear about you kitty Cinq...They are part of the family. :icon_frow

Comment

As a cat owner myself (only 1... 6 yrs old), I feel awful about this. I am always left with a cold pit in my stomach at the thought of my little furball suffering through terminal illness, or fatal injury. I hope I never have to see that, or have to have her put down. I can't imagine what that loss feels like, either for you or your family.

I'm sorry this happend, Cing. He sounds like he was much loved. :icon9:

Comment

Very sorry for your family Cing. Pets are such a part of the family and its a shame they don't live as long as we do. I'm sure your Son will do fine with such a great father as yourself.
        New to TG?

Comment

My condolences partner...

I know how you feel...

We currently have two dogs and over the years have had to out down four of them. Most reached 12-16 years. They do become part of the family.
          Regards,
          |42nd| Badger

"My Strength is My Team"
          "Duty, Honor, Courage"

Comment

My heart is with you Cing, and with your family. I've been through an experience disturbingly similar to yours and I do know what you're going through. That photo looks very similar to Mozart, one of the five cats remaining in our family (we lost Poe almost three years ago now).

I also know that this difficult time will pass, and years from now you'll still be enjoying the fond memories of your friend.

Be well.
            Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Sad news Cing. They sure are good little buddies.

Comment

Yeah, it sucked. It was pretty unexpected, too. He appeared to be perfectly fine just two days before. The night before, I remarked on how "bony" he felt, but he had gradually been losing weight over the past year. He was hiding under the headboard of our waterbed for the day previous, but we're dogsitting for Gramps for a few weeks and we figured he'd just gotten into it with the new dog and he was lying low for a while...

We buried him today at Grandma and Grandpa's house. I'm really proud of the way my son handled the whole thing. He was kinda confused when Mom told him he would be playing in Kitty Heaven after we told him that he was going to sleep forever. Couldn't quite get him to grasp the concept of a "spirit". I'm sure we'll have more discussions about this in the days, weeks and years to come...
                Become a supporting member!
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Sorry for your loss, Cing.. I lost my cat and her 5 kittens all at once a few years ago. Give your little one a hug for me. :)

Comment

Sorry to hear about the cat. Like most have said, the animals are just as much family as anyone else.

[volun]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X