Will I live to see 80?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will I live to see 80?

I recently picked a new primary care doctor.

After two visits and exhaustive lab tests, he said I was doing "fairly well" for my age.

A little concerned about that comment, I couldn't resist asking him, "Do
    you think I'll live to be 80?"

He asked, "Do you smoke tobacco, or drink beer or wine?" "Oh no," I replied. "I'm not doing drugs, either!"

Then he asked, "Do you eat rib-eye steaks and barbecued ribs?" I said, "No,
    my former doctor said that all red meat is very unhealthy!

"Do you spend a lot of time in the sun, like playing golf, sailing, hiking, or bicycling?

"No, I don't," I said. He asked, "Do you gamble, drive fast cars, or have a lot of sex?"

"No," I said. He looked at me and said, "Then, why do you even give a ****?"

I like this doctor
    I do what I can.

cpgf: (n.) Acronym describing a significant other who has not yet acheived full spousal status and is in possession of a cable modem; of note because at YOUR house, you still have dial-up -- and crappy dialup at that.

Re: Will I live to see 80?

LOL. My fathers doctor thinks my father is a heavy drinker since his triglycerides are out of whack from all the bread that he eats. My father's 51 and hasn't been drunk in over 25 years.

Of course, don't get me started on the doctors habits :).
    |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

lol, I personally dont even see why you would want to live to be past 70.. Probably just an age thing right now that i'll want to live to be 100 later in life but currently I dont see any reason in it.
      "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
      'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

Originally posted by Fenian420 View Post
        lol, I personally dont even see why you would want to live to be past 70.. Probably just an age thing right now that i'll want to live to be 100 later in life but currently I dont see any reason in it.
        I remember when I was in high school thinking that I can't imagine that life would be much fun after, say, age 40. Then after I joined the Marines, I remember seeing guys retire around the age of 40 and imagining that 10 years of rest and relaxation would be cool before getting really decrepit. Now I'm in my thirties and I'm thinking that I'd like to at least enjoy my sixth decade of life.

Actually, I think that I'm really not going to worry about a number. I'm just going to enjoy life as long as I can, and if I ever stop enjoying life, I'll find a way to make my way out of it...
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

They say 49 is the hardest year.
          |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
            I remember when I was in high school thinking that I can't imagine that life would be much fun after, say, age 40. Then after I joined the Marines, I remember seeing guys retire around the age of 40 and imagining that 10 years of rest and relaxation would be cool before getting really decrepit. Now I'm in my thirties and I'm thinking that I'd like to at least enjoy my sixth decade of life.

Actually, I think that I'm really not going to worry about a number. I'm just going to enjoy life as long as I can, and if I ever stop enjoying life, I'll find a way to make my way out of it...
            I am almost 40 and really like my life and age... Except I now realize I have, at best, lived half my life. That scares the total ****e out of me. I have a 3 month old baby. When he turns 20 I will be, if I am lucky, 60. Think about that. Sixty and my kid is only twenty! If he waits till he is 30 to have a kid I have to be 70 just to see a grandkid!

I want to live forever. I can't think of anything that would make me want to find a way out. Maybe one thing, if I find myself hurting my kids enjoyment of their lives.

My goal is to move to Ecuador or some other warm place and sit on the beach with a wireless laptop and work until I am dead once all my kids are off on their own journey.
            Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
            - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
            - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
            - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
            - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
            - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
            - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I'm just the opposite Gringo, I do NOT want to live forever, I think the chances of pain and suffering are too great. I have kinda recently embraced death sort of reminiscent of Matt Damon in his aprtment when he sees Donny Wahlberg waiting for him "Ok".

A radio show I listen to (via podcast now since I am in Iceland) often poses a hypothetical to guests:

If you could sign a contract today that you would live a fully healthy life until age 70 - no disease, no disability, no getting hit by a bus - but on the day of your 70th birthday you drop dead, would you sign the deal or take your chances?

I am inclined to think I would sign the contract...
              LoyalGuard

Comment

I think anyone would sign that.. The real question would be if you would sign it at 55.

Iunno, Life is one hell of a joy but also seeing so much **** going on like entire starving nations in Africa, unrest in East Europe for more than 100 years, nations oppressing people, corrupt governments, etc. etc.
                "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
                'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                  I am almost 40 and really like my life and age... Except I now realize I have, at best, lived half my life. That scares the total ****e out of me. I have a 3 month old baby. When he turns 20 I will be, if I am lucky, 60. Think about that. Sixty and my kid is only twenty! If he waits till he is 30 to have a kid I have to be 70 just to see a grandkid!

I want to live forever. I can't think of anything that would make me want to find a way out. Maybe one thing, if I find myself hurting my kids enjoyment of their lives.

My goal is to move to Ecuador or some other warm place and sit on the beach with a wireless laptop and work until I am dead once all my kids are off on their own journey.
                  I had my baby girl at the age of 38 so I know right where you are at Gringo. I'd like to see my daughter grow up, go to college, establish herself professionally, have babies and live a full productive life (hopefully in that order !!) Sooo...I've dropped alot of weight I was carrying, started working out regularly and now make healthy eating choices just about every day. But...these are the things I can control...who knows about the rest...
                  sigpic
                  |TG-1st|Grunt
                  ARMA Admin (retired)
                  Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Approaching 50 and running my 81 year old mom around to get her driver's license recently. The one thing I selfishly worry about as I age is surviving those I love.
                    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I fully plan on living forever. I have two methods that I'm going to use. I'm going to wait until computer technology reaches the point where we can sucessfully transfer data back and forth between a computer and a human brain, have myself cloned, downloaded and re-uploaded. Unfortunately, human cloning is currently illegal. So it's either that or I will hit 85 and cryogenically freeze myself and leave specific instructions to be revived when it becomes legal and do it then. Rinse and repeat. I lives forever.

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                        Approaching 50 and running my 81 year old mom around to get her driver's license recently. The one thing I selfishly worry about as I age is surviving those I love.
                        Yea, thats just one of those things though, when I start thinking about death and life I usually try and come to this.. You gotta except life for how it is, gotta make it through and keep on going on to cut down opportunities lost while average people would be mourning, think of all the joyous times that youve been around when bringing people into this life, everybodys bound to die one day (well cept ferris), so just let it go, keep it in the memories, give your respects and mess up anyone who talks s**t about your dead (enter social word here;friend,mother,father,son,uncle,grandma,etc.et c.)

Comment

Originally posted by loyalguard View Post
                          If you could sign a contract today that you would live a fully healthy life until age 70 - no disease, no disability, no getting hit by a bus - but on the day of your 70th birthday you drop dead, would you sign the deal or take your chances?

I am inclined to think I would sign the contract...
                          Do I have to sign it in blood? Where's the pen?
                          Become a supporting member!
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!
                          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
                            I fully plan on living forever. I have two methods that I'm going to use. I'm going to wait until computer technology reaches the point where we can sucessfully transfer data back and forth between a computer and a human brain, have myself cloned, downloaded and re-uploaded. Unfortunately, human cloning is currently illegal. So it's either that or I will hit 85 and cryogenically freeze myself and leave specific instructions to be revived when it becomes legal and do it then. Rinse and repeat. I lives forever.
                            What do you mean the computer that transferred my brain was running on windows 3.1?????

All I know is that my uncle was playing golf on the day he died. 18 holes. And he was eighty-something. That is what I hope to be like. Active and alert until the moment I die. (except I'll probably be playing a computer game! WTheck? How'd he shoot me? <clutches chest> )

hehe We went to see our new financial advisor. He showed us his basic plan/forecasting of our money in the future. It showed an estimated $$$ each year. Apparently, I have to kill myself at age 90 if I'm still alive because he didn't forecast anything past that. hehehe
                            "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
                            Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
                            " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...