Fiscal Fantasy League

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiscal Fantasy League

With so many new experts on economics and markets and whatnot, I thought it might be fun to have an investment fantasy league. Participants get $100k to "invest" and we track progress to see who is the next Warren Buffet and who is the next Myron P. Loser.

Anyone interested in playing? If there's interest I'll be glad to help coordinate setting up the rules and such. Anyone who plays will learn a lot. Anyone who follows will learn some. The rest of you can sit around and wait for the government to save you. :D

Re: Fiscal Fantasy League

I am in!

I'm gonna turn 100k imaginary dollars into a whopping 1 imaginary dollar with my genius talent.
    A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

I invest in oil.

And more oil.
      Skud

Comment

Hmmm I might be down to give this a try. I don't invest at all and it might be a valuable learning experience. Keep me posted
        sigpic

Comment

Really, that would be a game you'd want to lose because if you 'win,' you'll wish you'd put real money into it.

Comment

I'll buy a Congressman.
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

It's going to be like fantasy football - there are free websites which track your $100k starting portfolio. Who's actually interested?
              A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

Comment

Wow! Deju vu big time.

Comment

I think I've found a way to do this. It seems to have all the sophisticated trading abilities you'd find on any online broker, and it's free. Interested folks should register at the Chicago Board Options Exchange site: http://www.cboe.com/tradtool/virtualtrade.aspx

I'd start fiddling around with placing orders etc. to get a feel for the site, then close out any positions and deposit the necessary "virtual dollars" to bring the account balance to the $100,000 starting point.

We can send in screenshots to prove balances, etc. I'm still looking at the site to see what information would be required to administer a contest.

I was thinking that a good start date might be 4/15 and a good finish date might be 11/4. Whoever is in the lead on the last day of each month earns the title of Tactical Gamer Economy Czar for the next month, and Boris Von Stinkypicks must carry some indication of his or her shame in the autosig for the next month. Something like that to make it fun.

I think it would be helpful, if we do this, to update the forum with posts when participants open or close positions to help everyone understand what you're doing and why. In other words, something like "entered a limit purchase 100 shares GE at 36.4, good 'til cancelled" or "entered a stop-market for 50 shares GE at 34.59" followed by some text describing your decision-making.

Another suggestion is that participants be limited to purchasing $25k shares' worth of a stock. If a one buys $24,999 worth of a stock and it increases in price to $25,000.01, one need not sell but may not purchase more.

Howzat?

Comment

Go big or go home baby!

Comment

I'm in!

A couple of other options:

https://www.optionsxpress.com/welcom...s/virtual.aspx
                      http://www.digitallook.com/cgi-bin/dlmedia/game.cgi
                      ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                      No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Looks like it has training wheels on it dude.

edit: this one doesn't appear to be a US version and I can't find one that is. Boo Rincewind!

Comment

I'm in. I will play to learn. However I do not believe success at swing trading is any indication of economic expertise, but rather someone who has developed a system to leverage exploits in the market.

Comment

It will be interesting to see if you still feel that way after you do it for a while.

Comment

How is playing a fantasy market going to teach anyone anything about the economy? Or are you only talking about the market economy. An experiment like this says nothing about living wages and the cost of living.

This is the best fantasy market I've seen to date:
                              http://www.updown.com/

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X