TG Fantasy Stock Market League

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TG Fantasy Stock Market League

Hi Gang. A few folks PM'd me with some questions about the details of this thang. Sorry for the slow response - some work jumped up and bit me late last week and now I'm in Newark.

The idea here is to have some fun together and to learn about the stock markets. There's nothing like doing it with real money you've earned (and really don't want to lose), but since we'll be playing with monopoly money here, I wanted to spice things up a little with some competition to simulate some of the real pressures.

To get started:
    • give yourself $100k in play money.
    • PM me your email address
    • When I receive your PM, I will send you an email. Please reply to it with a screenshot of the "Positions" tab of your virtual trading application that shows your opening 100k balance.

As soon as you're registered and have snagged a screenshot of your opening account balance, have at it! Since this is about fun and learning more than anything else, if you're late to start, don't worry about it. Starting late may actually be an advantage in this game!

I would like for us to use this thread to post notes about our trades - what you did and why. In the spirit of competition, do not report orders that you have entered but which have not been filled. For example, if you buy 100 shares of ABC at 10/share, let us know, and let us know why you think 100 shares of ABC is a good buy for you.

However, if you also enter a stop-loss at 8.75, we don't need to know that while the order remains unfilled and your position is open. If you enter a limit order for 100 shares of ABC @ 9.55 that hasn't been filled, same deal.

Make sense?

There are many things about this exercise that differ radically from the real world. For example, most of us don't get to start out with $100K. However, I believe that participants will find themselves attenuated to the markets and the economy in ways you haven't experienced before - just like how you maytfind yourself walking down a street and thinking "that's a nice firing position over by that Starbucks" having played a few rounds in an FPS, you may find yourself thinking about business and markets more in your spare time than before. Let's learn, then let's go make our money work for us.

Good luck!

Re: TG Fantasy Stock Market League

Is this something that is just ongoing or does the 'game'(?) restart every couple of monthes?
    "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
    'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

We're sorta playing it by ear this time Fenian. I was thinking that we could declare a "winner" on election day and participants can send their portfolios in weekly or monthly for periodic gloating and teasing. But the main point is the experience and learning.

S'alright?

Comment

Im assuming that your post meant year? If thats the case then Ill wait for next year till I start in on that, either that or during the summer where I have somewhat more of a freetime (despite football camps and training a bunch). I am somewhat interested in the stock market and all, got a couple of friends' dads who've made it big only from the market.
        "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
        'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

This sounds cool! I'm about to be 100% debt free in the next couple of months, and am going to start heavily investing the majority of my post-tax/post-expense income into retirement funds, mutual funds, and wanted to set aside a portion of my budget for "gambling" money (i.e. the stock market). So it's going to be great to play with fake money first, before I get into the real thing. This shall be extremely educational and beneficial! I'm in!
          "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

I'm in as well. I'll set everything up once I get home this evening.

I'm going to make it interesting and limit my market position to Booze, Debauchery, and Women. We'll see how that goes.

Also, can we get this moved to general discussion? :D
            ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
            No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Is this something you can get into with having pretty much zero knowledge of markets, stocks and how to trade? I mean, all I know is the old phrase of, "buy low, sell high". And I mean that's all I know, heh.
              [squadl]
              "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan View Post
                Is this something you can get into with having pretty much zero knowledge of markets, stocks and how to trade? I mean, all I know is the old phrase of, "buy low, sell high". And I mean that's all I know, heh.
                I have very little knowledge of markets as well. Precisely why this will be super educational and beneficial to the both of us. After we finish this up and declare a winner, we'll probably be ready for the real world of trading. And compared to some of the RTS and RPGs we play, Stock Markets aren't near as complex. :D
                "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

I'm in as well, and I've already lost money just like in real life! :row__628:
                  New to TG?

Comment

This is certainly something you can do with no experience. I'm hoping that some folks like you will decide to learn more about how to think and act like an investor.

Here are resources to help you get started as you try to wrap your head around this market thingie:

www.swing-trade-stocks.com - I like it. Basic into to technical analysis and some of the cash management discipline and techniques necessary to stay in the game

www.investopedia - great general resource. Don't know what a bull call spread is? They do!

http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor...t/usindex.aspx - lists the major indices

For whatever it's worth, here's how I roll in RL. I watch about 50 stocks daily. These are household names from various sectors. I watch them just to see how the different flagship stocks in the different sectors are doing. You'll notice that many stocks in different sectors move up or down together, depending upon the market's mood. For example, on days that everyone throws their hands up and declares that the sky is falling, energy stocks and "safe" stocks like Colgate Palmolive, Johnson 'n Johnson, etc. do well. On days that the market decides that the worst is behind us, all is well, pay no attention to the man behind the curtain, stocks like financials, retailers, homebuilders, and so on, do well.

Once I see a sector that seems to be trending up, I will dive a little deeper into stocks within that sector. Assuming that I want to open a long position (buy with the expectation that the stock will rise in value - the most typical position and the only thing you should think about until you've mastered it), I have a personal rule, which I break as often as I please, only to buy stocks that meet certain criteria:

1. The 50-day moving average is above the 200-day moving average
                    2. The 10-day moving average is above the 30-day moving average
                    3. the current stock price is between the 10 and the 30.

These indicators tell me that the stock is trending up (50 above the 200), that it's in an up part of the overall trend, not a mid-cycle correction, and that a recent price spike has retraced a little (trading between 10 and 30 day).

You want to get a good stock for a good price. Finding a good stock is easy. You can probably think of 100 off the top of your head - just start naming evil corporate empires. Exxon, Wal*Mart, Johnson 'n Johnson, GE, General Motors, Ford, Bank of America, Wachovia, etc., etc.

Finding a good stock at a good price is less clear. What's a good price anyway? That's what the technical indicators are for, and that's where patience comes in. Like anything else, if you run out the door and buy 100 shares of something, odds are you won't get a good price. If you are patient, sometimes the stock will pull back to the price you're willing to pay. If you are not patient, I can guarantee that the stock will pull back and you will lose money, just 'cause.

Anyway, let's keep the communications open and see how things go.

Comment

Originally posted by USN_Squid View Post
                      I'm in as well, and I've already lost money just like in real life! :row__628:
                      What did you buy and why?

I have several orders entered but none has executed. Use "limit" orders to set a price you're willing to pay for a stock that's trading above the $ you think is a good price to dive in.

If you just want to pick up a stock today dammit, then at least try to wait until between 2 and 3 eastern time. In my experience, you can usually get a better price then, after the morning rush, after the lunch rush, and before the last hour of trading when all hell breaks loose anyway.

Tweaking your buy $ and your sell $ by a % or two really ads up.

Comment

I am joining also and have no clue but looking forward to the learning experience.

+rep to Leejo for setting this up!!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by leejo View Post
                          What did you buy and why?
                          I bought Hong Kong and Nasdaq indices (EWH and ONEQ) with the intention of holding them for days or weeks at a time. I don't see myself making many daily trades. I just made token buys to see how the system worked.

Why did I buy those particular stocks? Gut feeling pretty much. EWH has had a long upward trend and I think is getting beat up from the Olympics/Tibet mess. The ONEQ also just looks undervalued to me.
                          New to TG?

Comment

I just "bought" 500 PHM @ 13.99

Why? This stock violates several of the "rules" I laid out in an earlier post. However, I've been watching Pulte Homes and other homebuilders carefully since last summer. Many homebuilder stocks are trading like they're in a bull market, despite what you see on the news. PHM has pulled back from a recent high of 16.81 into the low 13's today, then rallied back up to 14ish, above it's high from yesterday, which is when I bought in.

Comment

I just bought 100 shares of WTI @ 38.25

Why?The company continues to expand its drilling sites. On Mar 20, WTI announced it was the highest bidder for four Outer Continental Shelf drilling regions in the Gulf of Mexico. Bids are subject to approval by the Minerals Management Service, a division of the U.S. Department of the Interior. If the bid is accepted, WTI will pay $3.3 million for the right to drill in that region. Right now how can you go wrong with oil?
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X