TG Fantasy Stock Market League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TG Fantasy Stock Market League

Personally, I'm extremely skittish on the energy companies right now, although there are certainly trading opportunities. For example, I watch COP and Exxon daily, and have for a long time. They are prone to fairly violent swings as the markets decide "Oh God the economies of the world are going to tank tomorrow!" and then a few days later "Wow look at how undervalued these energy stocks are. Oil at 113? How can we lose?!"

So you can pick up these energy stocks cheap some days, and lose a bundle the next week. Set your stop loss and keep a close eye on 'em.

As a long-term investment, I personally think that an energy trade is basically the same thing as a currency trade right now. In other words, these company's futures are inversely related to the dollar. If you think the dollar will continue to decline, load up on energy stocks. If you think, as I do, that the dollar is bottoming, then these stocks are also topping.

Just my opinion. Still, WTI is trading within .93% of its 52-week high. I like stocks that are trading closer to their lows.

Anyway, I just "bought" 100 AAPL at 147.59

I like Apple for several reasons. One, they've been kicked in the nuts pretty hard lately, having fallen from a not-too-long-ago peak of 202. They're a fantastic brand. Technically, I like a lot about the stock but I am definitely taking a gamble here. The 50-day average is below the 200 but almost even with it. The 10 is above the 30 and AAPL is trading between them.

I don't see AAPL doing well if the economy continues to struggle or get worse. As the banks work through their problems, though, I think the markets and then the economies will chug along. I'm betting that this is more like 1997 than 2001, basically. If it is, then we'll see some good upward movement in the financial sector soon, and then I expect Tech to become Wall Street's darling again. AAPL is one of the blue chips in Tech.

Comment

OK I'm sorta swinging for the fences here:

Bought 100 ACAS @ 33.18
      Bought 100 BAC @ 35.43
      Bought 100 GS @ 163.54

All are grossly oversold according to a technical indicator I keep an eye on, the Williams %R, which our good friends at www.investopedia.com can tell you all about.

I'm generally bullish on the financial sector now, though that sector remains considerably more risky than, say, homebuilders. Homebuilders seemed to find a bottom in January and have performed very nicely since. Banks and other financials are still feeling around for a bottom. Several recently retraced the year's progress and are back down where they were in January. One thing that this simulation doesn't reflect is dividends' impact on your porfolio. Banks are paying huge dividends lately, as the stock price has been beaten down, the yield has gone up nicely.

Still, this is a pure trade, not an investment. In RL I own these stocks and am buying them as fast as I can, mostly with the dividends and a 2-year time-frame in mind. Our time scale is smaller and I don't get to reinvest my dividends, so I'll be selling these guys on an up day soon, I hope. Maybe on the 30th?

Comment

The last hour of the trading day is my favorite time of the day to trade. A lot happens during this hour.

Comment

Can I only "buy" during trading hours? Or can I figure out what I want tonight and then the "buy" happens when the market opens?
          "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

You can place orders any time. You should be seeing a message that tells you the order will be submitted at market open tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by leejo View Post
              You can place orders any time. You should be seeing a message that tells you the order will be submitted at market open tomorrow.
              Isn't there after hours trading?

Comment

Quick heads-up all.

One thing to factor in as you make trades is the economic indicators' impact on your stock price. For example, it would suck to buy a bunch of homebuilders today and wake up in the morning to see that the Housing Starts and Building Permits came in tres soft and there you go feeling like a dummy as you watch your stock tank.

I use TD Ameritrade and they have a calendar that shows the economic indicators and when they're announced. CNBC also has a similar list at the bottom of this page (scroll down) http://www.cnbc.com/id/15839153/site/14081545/

Like anything else about investing or trading, this is just another piece of the puzzle, more information to help inform your decisions. There's no magic formula.

Anyway, we have some inflation #s coming out tomorrow (CPI and Core CPI), some housing data (Building permits and housing starts), some productivity and oil capacity data. Lots of gloomy news, probably.

But Thursday the Leading Indicators comes out, and I'm seeing that last month they were -0.1% but the consensus is expecting it to be 0.3% this time. There are no indicators scheduled to be announced Friday, and so nothing to really slow down whatever momentum Thursday gives us.

We shall see.

Comment

Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
                  Isn't there after hours trading?
                  Yes, but this simulator doesn't allow us to play that game. Gotta use your real money for that.

Comment

Wow, Leejo. I'm impressed with your vast trading knowledge. Thanks for educating us. My head's still kind of spinning, but I'm gonna sit down tonight and follow the links you provided so I can learn these terms and such. Hopefully, I'll be able to get a grasp on this subject so I can beat all you suckas at fantasy stock market trading. Woooooo! Goooooo Warmonger! Just kidding. I'm gonna try my best at this, but I predict I'm gonna end up losing a lot of "money" when it's all said and done. I still wanna win, though. This will be tactical gaming at it's finest! Or should we now call it, "Tactical Trading?"

Comment

Dude, I'm a complete idiot at trading compared to most. I've learned a few painful lessons, that's all.

For example, I placed an order for a few hundred shares of a cheap stock last summer, and did my thinking and set a stop loss on the same stock. Just before the market closed for the day, the stock dipped down to my limit offer, and the limit order executed.

Before the market opened the next morning, that company announced that it was issuing 10 million new shares of its stock, priced about $0.20 below my stop loss. So I literally owned the stock about 5 minutes and lost a few hundred. Lesson learned? 1) ALWAYS put in a stop loss - learning how tight or loose to set it takes some experience; 2) don't mess around with stocks that are priced very low and trade at low volumes - the only people who should play that game are investors with their hands on the wheel at the company or institutional investors, IMO; 3) Sometimes the market just kicks you in the balls. Get up, do it again.

Honestly, all these indicators and such are fluff. The real hard part is controlling your emotions: Greed and fear. You don't get that with a simulation, only with real money, but it's nice to learn as much of the technical stuff this way, so when you're doing it with real money you can focus on really dangerous threat to your success that sits between your ears.

Comment

I have a hard time putting up my hard earned money on something as whimsical as a 8 year old girl even if it is monopoly money. My tolerance for risk is embarrassingly low. I need a new religion, some faith possibly or someone to burn off my severed umbilical cord. I would like to be able to daytrade for 3 hours a day with ballz of steel, while enjoying a massage on the beaches of Fiji. OK thats hysterical. What I really need is to develop a system that is not based on prediction, but rooted in cause and effect. Delineating patterns in mob psychology is the key in my umbilicus opinion.

Something I read recently that eased my worried mind for a minute that may be beneficial to someone else.

There are four things that can happen:
                        You can lose alot.
                        You can lose a little
                        You can gain alot
                        You can gain a little.

You can use a stop lose and eliminate the first one. That way you can be wrong half the time and still make money.

Comment

I picked some stocks tonight and we'll see how they do. I am doing a bit in energy. A little bit in Exxon. A little bit in Chevron. A bit more in XTO (I used to work for them and they are ever expanding). I put some in two major oilfield companies, Schlumberger and Halliburton, whom I personally see out here in the West Texas oilfields all the time, so they're doing well. Big time construction is everywhere (I mean earthmoving type operations), so I put some in Caterpillar. I'm also doing some in Johnson & Johnson, Proctor & Gamble, and 3M. With MS on their heals, I put some in Yahoo!. Although they may have peaked, I dunnno.

Florida Power & Light (FPL) is going bonkers putting wind turbine generators out here in West Texas, so they seem to be going nowhere but up. Since Apple took a recent dive, but is still doing good, I threw some their way. I'm also doing an iShare - ETF (IVV), just cause it looked good. I have a gut feeling that in the long run, mining industries will do well, so I put some in Newmont (NEM), and Anglo something or rather (AU). Guess I'll see how the markets fare, tomorrow. This is exciting!

I haven't been tracking stocks for months like many in this hobby do, so all these buys are on a whim and gut feelings. Probably a big time rookie mistake, but I don't care since it's play money. I just wanted to get these things going! Let the trading begin!

Comment

What's sad is that I don't even know half the terms that are being used here, or even in some of the beginners guides that have been linked. I was an Animal Science major; I literally took the one econ (ag econ at that, heh) class my sophomore year that I was required to take, and that's the extent of my financial knowledge.

I've yet to buy anything, I'm just poking around looking at the graphs of what several stocks have been doing over the past while and trying to see what they're up to. Most of my poking has been in the technology/software companies thus far. Well see what happens come tomorrow.
                            [squadl]
                            "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

What terms are you stuck on?

As far as your feeling a little stuck, I think I know what you're going through. Hang in there, and don't worry. Pick up 100 shares here and there, make some mistakes, and learn from them.

Comment

Those links Leejo provided helped a lot. Investopedia was great for learning the lingo. Anyone know what time the trading bell rings? Is it 8 am Central?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                                X