Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

13 yo German boy pwns Apophis (and NASA)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13 yo German boy pwns Apophis (and NASA)

Read all about it here
    ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
    No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Re: 13 yo German boy pwns Apophis (and NASA)

Smart kid! Sounds almost like that 5th grade kid who recently pwnd the Smithsonian.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23926074/

I love it when stuff like this happens. Kids telling these "experts" what's up with things. Hahahaha. That's gotta be a bruise on some of these peoples' egos.
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

...calculate that there was a 1 in 450 chance that the Apophis asteroid will collide with Earth...NASA had previously estimated the chances at only 1 in 45,000 but told its sister organisation, the European Space Agency (ESA), that the young whizzkid had got it right.
      Clever kid.

We're even more screwed now. Apparently, if Apophis does hit Earth, it will create an explosion of around 880 megatons. Krakatoa was around 200 megatons.

Time to put on my tinfoil hat...
      |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
      Irregular since 2007.

Comment

^^^Why the tinfoil hat? Sounds like we will need a hardhat. Unless you're saying NASA intentionally under reported to keep people calm.

Considering how much worse things are going Apo hitting Earth might not be a bad thing.
        RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
        TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
        7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
        "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
        "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

Here's a bit more clarification on that article:
          http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04...pophis_denial/

NASA's retort makes SOME sense, but it's not very comforting. Obviously, this kid brought up the need to revisit their calculations and NASA is somewhat playing down the situation to soothe egos. Regardless, as Apo gets closer the numbers will get more and more reliable, either better... or worse.

One thing no one made mention of is space debris in general. There arent just satellites up there, but huge chunks of rockets, liquid water, human waste, etc. etc. We shall see.

(I had a much longer post than this one in response to this thread but I lost it to incompentant ISP)... had to do with what happened with Huygens and the ESA. I was part of a large group of amateurs that outdid them with the initial data from the probe. Was lots of fun... got little sleep, but good times.

Moral of the story: The public always can outdo the Institution.

JPL learned this lesson long ago, which is why they're now so good at giving out information to the masses.

Comment

April 12, 2029 (the day before) calls for a serious party, if you’re still alive.

Comment

I think its something like December 15th or 16th 2012 that the world is supposidly gonna blow up isnt it?
              "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
              'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

Originally posted by Fenian420 View Post
                I think its something like December 15th or 16th 2012 that the world is supposidly gonna blow up isnt it?
                The world is supposed to end on December 21, 2012. I personally don't believe in that. Just because the Mayan calender ended on that day doesn't mean the world is going to end.
                ...the image is one thing and the human being is another...its very hard to live up to an image.
                -Elvis Presley at a press conference in New York City, 1972.

Comment

Originally posted by Fenian420 View Post
                  lol

Comment

I could really care less what the chances are. Fact is that it's still almost 30 years away from impact. If the human race cant collectively come up with a solution in 30 years, we've got much bigger problems than some giant space rock wiping us all out.

Comment

Well not really, if we cant come up with a solution then it just means we're human.. We still get to worry n wait for the giant boulder to smash us though,
                      "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
                      'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

Personally, I plan to have my being transferred to an IBM Blade server chest that runs off of renewable energy once Apo hits. It'll backpack onto that new robot Boston Dynamics just made... that way I can get aroud. Good times ahead.

Comment

How does the inability to solve a problem make us human? Humans have been solving problems throughout the entirety of history. Fire, the wheel, plumbing, ships, flight, engines. The list is infinite in the problems that humans have solved. I should think that the inability to solve the problem would demonstrate a striking lack of that "human spirit".

And going with what Gambit said, I fully intend to be one of the first people to colonize the moon or other planets when the call goes out for volunteers. Hopefully, that call will be made long before some global cataclysm brings about the end of mankind.

Comment

So why are we here, what created the universe? What was before the big bang?

Comment

Fenian, your argument is unhinged. You went from saying that the inability for a conglomeration of 6 billion people to solve a problem which could mean their extinction in less than 30 years makes us human to asking theologically based questions which have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with what was being discussed, even by you! I'm not going to debate anything further until you raise a valid argument that holds a modicum of relevance to what was being discussed.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X