Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ebook hardware

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ebook hardware

    has anyone bought Amazon's kindle or sony's version? I would like to get one, but I'm trying to figure out which way to go. Given that they are $300 adn $400 or so, I'm not going to be rushing right out and buying it today...

    I like the idea, but a couple of things worry me
    Which book will 'win' the war. As with any new technology.
    A paperback is only $1 more than the electronic version in most of the books I looked at.

    I like sony's look/feel better, but you can only buy books from sony. (although it can read word and pdfs)

    Amazon kindle
    c-net review

    Sony Digital Book
    c-net review
    Can only buy books through sony's on-line store.




    Any thoughts?
    "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
    Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
    " Ednos


    sigpic





  • #2
    Re: ebook hardware

    I really like the idea of the ebook readers, but with actual books you can build up a library and share easily... with these things can you distribute your books without facing some kind of copy right penalty? Theres nothing wrong with giving your books to a friend to read... is someone going to start knocking on your door for 'file sharing'?
    |TG|Switch

    Better known as:
    That noob who crashed the chopper.
    That noob who ran over the mine.
    That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
    That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: ebook hardware

      No idea. I also like real books. But even after I took about 4 footlockers of books to half priced books, all my shelves are 3 deep in paperbacks.

      Hi, my name is Skylark and I am a book addict.

      HI SKYLARK!
      "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
      Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
      " Ednos


      sigpic




      Comment


      • #4
        Re: ebook hardware

        Do they have a 12-step for that?
        "I've been working since I was sixteen. I fought in two wars. Hell, I've killed people. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy it..."
        -- Red Forman

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: ebook hardware

          I want to see electronic paper. You toss a ream in the special printer and print your book, then feed it through a special eraser when done, leaving it ready for reuse. (There really is such stuff in the lab, but I haven't heard of it getting rugged enough for real use.)
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

          snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

          Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: ebook hardware

            Wouldn't the current 'ebook' model be more efficient .... a single display that can show any file you want. No printing of any sort... no extra machines to run, no distribution other than digital?
            |TG|Switch

            Better known as:
            That noob who crashed the chopper.
            That noob who ran over the mine.
            That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
            That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: ebook hardware

              I worry about extended book-length reading on a display. Seems like there's be a lot of eye-strain. I read a lot online but in short doses.
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

              snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

              Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: ebook hardware

                But but... but... I neeeeddssssss it....
                "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
                Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
                " Ednos


                sigpic




                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: ebook hardware

                  Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                  I want to see electronic paper. You toss a ream in the special printer and print your book, then feed it through a special eraser when done, leaving it ready for reuse. (There really is such stuff in the lab, but I haven't heard of it getting rugged enough for real use.)
                  The Amazon Kindle uses e-paper. Power is only used when the display changes, not to "hold" the image. I think the Sony might be using it now, too.

                  If you haven't seen it, it's truly amazing. I've thought about getting one, but I'm not willing to be an early adopter when it comes to all the licensing BS that goes along with these two manufacturers of ebooks/readers.

                  www.amazon.com/kindle

                  The free wireless access to Wikipedia is a HUGE selling point for me, but it's just a wee bit too expensive, still...
                  Become a supporting member!
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                  TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: ebook hardware

                    I was shopping Amazon to replenish my stash (need some Destroyer (Warren Murphy), John Ringo, and Eric Flint) and noticed a lot of books offering Kindle versions. Now I'm thinking I want one of these. It's compact and looks like paper. I can get my book now, wirelessly. If I'm forced to take a flight (not a fan of security measures), I can carry a recent hardcover or six in a light package that doesn't have me elbowing fellow passengers.
                    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

                    snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

                    Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: ebook hardware

                      Both use basically the same technology.

                      There are other readers out there besides the Kindle and the PRS-505. Like the eBookman V3 and the Iliad.


                      Depending on the books you're interested in, most eBooks are usually either the same price more expensive than their paper counterparts.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                      Former 9th & 13th

                      Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-





                      SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

                      TG Primer and Rules

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: ebook hardware

                        I like the wikipedia ability. Also you can subscribe to some magazines for pretty cheap. That's something the sony (as far as I know) is ignoring. You can also have word documents reformated for free (if you use email and upload yourself) or $1 (I THINK that's the price - if you have them send it to you wirelessly).

                        As for other ebooks - can they use the formating of the two major ones? I hate how the same file won't work on both.
                        "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
                        Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
                        " Ednos


                        sigpic




                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: ebook hardware

                          Originally posted by Skylark View Post
                          I like the wikipedia ability. Also you can subscribe to some magazines for pretty cheap. That's something the sony (as far as I know) is ignoring. You can also have word documents reformated for free (if you use email and upload yourself) or $1 (I THINK that's the price - if you have them send it to you wirelessly).

                          As for other ebooks - can they use the formating of the two major ones? I hate how the same file won't work on both.
                          The eBookman Reader V3 does not support Sony's proprietary format (BBeB), but does support the Mobipocket format (www.mobipocket.com), as well as PDF, RTF, TXT, etc.

                          The Mobipocket format is used by the largest eBook retailer in the world (which happens to be a subsidary of Amazon): Mobipocket (and their affiliates).

                          The Iliad is probably one of the most expensive eReaders on the market and its primary audience target are business professionals (they have a redesigned version out now).

                          Both of the "alternative" readers I mentioned will also allow you to convert DOC documents over to PDFs, TXT, etc. so you can read it on their eReader. The conversion software is provided.

                          In fact, all of the 7-8 eReaders out there provide you with software to convert DOC documents to PDFs or TXT.


                          Right now, Sony's PRS-505 is the cheapest on the market followed by Amazon's Kindle.

                          Personally, I like the eBookman Reader V3 the most. It costs about the same as the Kindle, but has a more simple interface without all of the other extras and the thumb keyboard. Plus, they were one of the first and most popular eReader manufacturers a decade ago.

                          (Yes, eBooks are not new.)
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                          Former 9th & 13th

                          Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-





                          SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

                          TG Primer and Rules

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: ebook hardware

                            Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                            The eBookman Reader V3 does not support Sony's proprietary format (BBeB), but does support the Mobipocket format (www.mobipocket.com), as well as PDF, RTF, TXT, etc.

                            The Mobipocket format is used by the largest eBook retailer in the world (which happens to be a subsidary of Amazon): Mobipocket (and their affiliates).

                            The Iliad is probably one of the most expensive eReaders on the market and its primary audience target are business professionals (they have a redesigned version out now).

                            Both of the "alternative" readers I mentioned will also allow you to convert DOC documents over to PDFs, TXT, etc. so you can read it on their eReader. The conversion software is provided.

                            In fact, all of the 7-8 eReaders out there provide you with software to convert DOC documents to PDFs or TXT.


                            Right now, Sony's PRS-505 is the cheapest on the market followed by Amazon's Kindle.

                            Personally, I like the eBookman Reader V3 the most. It costs about the same as the Kindle, but has a more simple interface without all of the other extras and the thumb keyboard. Plus, they were one of the first and most popular eReader manufacturers a decade ago.

                            (Yes, eBooks are not new.)
                            Yeah, i know they aren't new. I've seen a lot of ones come and go. there is even one that has some sort of cult following.... you can get it and do some hacking/whatever on it to work better.. don't remember what it was, but do remember what it looks like.

                            I just like the fact that now these two seem to have gained enough status/momentum to actually start getting enough books in the right format. I'm going to get one eventually. I think my birthday/christmas list is mainly going to be amazon gift certificates to get the kindle, but still evaluating my options.
                            "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
                            Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
                            " Ednos


                            sigpic




                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: ebook hardware

                              I would wait another year or two. The color displays are too far off. Also bendable displays are just around the corner.

                              If you can wait some, the next generation will be sci-fi like with color screens, holographic-like displays, and a clear display that can be bent and rolled without problems.

                              Here's the bendable eReader I was talking about: Wiki Article, Plastic Logic: eReader Device (new video on the main page)
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                              Former 9th & 13th

                              Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-





                              SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

                              TG Primer and Rules

                              Comment

                              Connect

                              Collapse

                              TeamSpeak 3 Server

                              Collapse

                              Advertisement

                              Collapse

                              Twitter Feed

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X