Anybody watching Carrier on PBS?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody watching Carrier on PBS?

It is a 10 hour special covering the USS Nimitz Air Craft Carrier and their six month deployment including operations in the Persian Gulf.

It isn't that bad. It focuses on the airdales, of course, but there is a small part about the nukes. (Yea!)

I found it so fascinating because there are so many women. Seems totally alien to me.
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Re: Anybody watching Carrier on PBS?

Just finished watching it with my dad,good stuff.
    |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

As it happens, I caught the last 30 mins or so of tonight's show. Doesn't look all that bad. I loved the remarks by the younger guys who were like "Well, after 2 years I still don't see the point of all this"
      I felt sorry for the guy who got back after 6 months and learned that his girlfriend was pregnant with his kid but that she was leaving him for some other guy.

Comment

I'm a technology buff. Does the show cover the ship itself from an engineer's POV? I'd love to know how you build a city-sized floating bathtub (ie. the hull), how you push it (bearings, prop and shaft design), etc.
        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
          I'm a technology buff. Does the show cover the ship itself from an engineer's POV? I'd love to know how you build a city-sized floating bathtub (ie. the hull), how you push it (bearings, prop and shaft design), etc.
          Nahhh. More focus on the sailors themselves.

You build it in pieces. I watched the Reagan (I think that was it) being built. Was interesting.

A story I heard while in overhaul was that a complete machine shop disappeared when the enterprise was being built. A compartment was install upside down so the portal was blocked. On the next minor overhaul it was found and all the machining equipment was just like new.
          - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
          - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
          - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
          - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I was afraid of that. I'm not a fan of touchy-feely stuff like that.

Anyone watched Tom Hanks' "From the Earth to the Moon" miniseries? Remember the episode entitled "Spider", about the development of the Lunar Excursion Module (LEM)? I cried as they released the test unit in orbit for the last time. Hanks gave the hardware personality.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

From the Earth to the Moon was a great miniseries. If you haven't seen it, rent it. You won't be disappointed.

And I agree, "Spider" was one of the best episodes.
              |TG|Melee
              Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

Heh, got that on a VHS set when I was around 10-ish. I loved it, watched it two times in a row...made me want to become an astronaut :P
                sigpic

Comment

I got it on DVD when I was 40ish. Now I feel so old.... :p

Comment

Originally posted by kevlarorc View Post
                    As it happens, I caught the last 30 mins or so of tonight's show. Doesn't look all that bad. I loved the remarks by the younger guys who were like "Well, after 2 years I still don't see the point of all this"
                    I felt sorry for the guy who got back after 6 months and learned that his girlfriend was pregnant with his kid but that she was leaving him for some other guy.
                    Yeah, watched that series last week much to the chagrin of my better half. :row__593: I knew that guy was in for a world of trouble when he got back to the states, I called the impending breakup in Hour 4 or something. Poor guy.

What got me was the fact that only some people are made for that type of work. Stuck on that ship for 6 months at a time, the only personal space you have is the size of a coffin. I think I could do it.. could u?
                    sigpic

Comment

I've been DVRing it. Down to the last 2 set of episodes. I've found it informative if not always "edge of your seat" action. :)

I work for CSC, the company that sponsored it so we were getting tons of internal e-mails promoting it. We also have an internal website with some "behind the scenes" information...

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalAssassin View Post
                        I've been DVRing it. Down to the last 2 set of episodes. I've found it informative if not always "edge of your seat" action. :)

I work for CSC, the company that sponsored it so we were getting tons of internal e-mails promoting it. We also have an internal website with some "behind the scenes" information...
                        And just think, they edited it for action on a carrier. :D The thing that has jets. Show how exciting Navy life is. If you are not involved with the planes the excitment levels are almost nill.

Comment

Yeah if your stuck below decks for 6 months at a time you might as well be on board a submarine. Not sure it's the easiest way to "see the world".
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Doming0 View Post
                            Yeah if your stuck below decks for 6 months at a time you might as well be on board a submarine. Not sure it's the easiest way to "see the world".
                            Unless you're arrested, you're not going to be stuck below decks for any amount of time. And let's not forget the awesome port calls that you'll be getting on a westpac or med tour! An aircraft carrier is probably one of the easiest ways to tour the world in the US Navy.
                            Become a supporting member!
                            Buy a Tactical Duck!
                            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Was a pretty cool series, it was quite interesting to see everything from the dude cleaning the bathrooms to the captain on the bridge and the war room. I felt really bad for some of the people in bad situations, like the guy with the pregnant girlfriend that dumped him, and the pilot who's wife miscarried while he was on the cruise. The ATC woman with the child custody dispute, too.

I gotta say though, I totally called it on the super-religious guy who was like, "No woman in the world could make me say yes if she came up and offered me sex right now." Then what was it, 2-3 days later he's in Australia headed to a private rendezvous with a girl he just randomly met in a club? Heh.
                              [squadl]
                              "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X