Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intense riot cop in Iceland

Hi!

Some of you may recall seeing news of oil protests in my country, Iceland.

I just wanted to share with you a clip from some news footage that has already become famous in Iceland. I'm not trying to start a debate about police versus protestors here, I know there are two sides on every matter and I want it to be clear that I am not a police hater.
    I just thought some of you might find this clip interresting and to be honest, I find it a bit funny :row__536:

They say that the police are supposed to give people a fair warning before using the teargas, but, well I'm not sure what to say...

Anyway, he yells "gas!" as you can hear, then "af götunni!" wich means "off the street!" Then the guy with the white hair says something about throwing oil on a small flame, I'm pretty sure he means the police.

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=UTXpXesMcKE[/media]

One of Icelands most popular rap bands called "XXX Rottweiler Hundar" ("Hundar" means "Dogs") made a music video about this clip wich can be seen here:

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=2arIei1ycK8[/media]

And this is a remix some guy made, wich I like mainly for the images. (Gas Man as Leonidas e.t.c.)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyAMz2dGlGk&feature=related[/media]

I apologize for any spelling or grammar errors I may have made, feel free to point them out ot me, doing so will only help me learn :row__572:
    "Video games develop hand-eye coordination, and make kids into better human beings!" - Prof. Membrane

Re: Intense riot cop in Iceland

I don't get it. It's funny because he's yelling "gas" over and over?
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Basicly yeah, it's just the way the guy is, intense and crazy. People here are really not used to conflicts of this scale. There hasn't been a riot like this in Iceland since 1932.

We are a nation of 300000 by the way.
      "Video games develop hand-eye coordination, and make kids into better human beings!" - Prof. Membrane

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter View Post
        People here are really not used to conflicts of this scale.
        OUR GAS CAN'T REPEL RIOTING OF THAT MAGNITUDE!

Comment

Oh noes, yelling and pepper spray.

You need a 5v1 beatdown, or tazer-related fatality, plus some sort of contrived "racial motivation" accusation to get any attention in the U.S.

Comment

Heh, yeah. That reminds me, I think the Icelandic police are just about to get tazer-guns, I just hope that guy doesn't get one :P
            I didn't really see the news when that happened, I've just heard people talking about it.
            I personally think people are making way to big a deal out of it.

Comment

This just shows how peaceful Iceland is as a country to live in, when the line of controversy is stopping lorries and tear gas

Comment

lol i remember taking a quick 3 day vacation up in canada and the all the news channels had something on a drunk guy who went around smashing windows.. It was on for 2 of the 3 days I was there, made me and my friends laugh...
                "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
                'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

Well I have to say that is quite timid to some of the stuff I've seen State side, or to some of the Socker Riots I've seen over in Europe. I can see the humor of him yelling "GAS" in the middle of an oil protest, but I'll be honest: First off I have no clue what the reporters are actually saying, as well the camera angle does not show fully what is going on. It is hard to say if the officer is overreacting unless you know the details, and as I don't I can't comment on that.

What I will say is that based on things I have seen that individual is lucky. Pepper spray hurts like hell, but it will heal.

I agree with your statement that people are making too big of a deal over teargas. In many other counties this would be a foot note in the news not a huge topic.

~ Draken

Comment

I ran this through the American-Conflict-O-Mometer, and apparently most six year old American children have been in a more intense skirmish than that.

The Icelandic riot cops seem quite a bit more in control and professional than the guys who show up in youtube videos from America. Then again, the crowd seems a quite a bit more civil... Though we've had riots with about three times as many people as there are on Iceland, which probably doesn't help at all.

Comment

Well, I don't know if I would call this a riot. It's just a protest that didn't go exactly as planned. There are a few more clips on youtube, in one you can see where a man throws a piece of concrete and it hits a policeman right in the face, and vitnesses said that he was chased after and arrested by five officers. The papers said that both men got some injuries.

After some time most of the original protestors had been replaced by teenagers who threw eggs and soda cans at the police.

I've actually heard people here (note: perhaps not complete grownups though) calling Iceland a police-empire, wich I just find plain silly.

EDIT: After taking a closer look at the clips I suppose that this can be categorized as a riot. Although it's a small one on global scale, it's still the second biggest Iceland has seen in a very long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter View Post
                        I've actually heard people here (note: perhaps not complete grownups though) calling Iceland a police-empire, wich I just find plain silly.
                        Reminds me of stupid skateboarding teenangsters here in the US.

No really, just go on youtube and search 'skateboarding cops' and read the comments.

There's one video "Go skateboarding day" where some girl tries to bolt from the cop, and he grabs her in a headlock. Such insipid nuggets of 'insight' from the under-educated ADHD raised-on-TV retard caste that makes up America's youth were "lol fat pig shud b shot 4 chokin a gurl" "omg hes family shoud b rapd he ttly hit a girlz". Repeat for 45 pages.

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium - 235 View Post
                          Reminds me of stupid skateboarding teenangsters here in the US.

No really, just go on youtube and search 'skateboarding cops' and read the comments...
                          I took a look for said video:
                          Part One: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOKb2PQs4kc&feature=related[/media]

Part Two: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT6z0dQ_-pg[/media]

I'm not sure what is funnier the 'comments' or how some of these kids handle the situation. Ten to one the Officer would have let them off the hook if they would just have stayed put and talked to the guy versus trying to argue then run. Worst case he would have held them until he could call the parents, write a ticket or a give them a warning and then let them go. Instead they chose to run and the officer used minimal force to detain them, but then a trip to lock up was in order as well.

Now I'll admit the cop was being a little bit of a jerk, but the group did nothing to help their case either. All they did was argue, and seemingly try to piss the guy off. Not the mention the two officers were outnumbered at least three to one, so I can understand the officers hand cuffing the whole group

Back to Iceland: Looking at the Video a second time there are at least two individuals trying to push against the line of officers near the truck, using the gas seems like a reasonable tactic at the time to me.

~ Draken

Comment

Originally posted by DrakenViator View Post
                            Back to Iceland: Looking at the Video a second time there are at least two individuals trying to push against the line of officers near the truck, using the gas seems like a reasonable tactic at the time to me.
                            And one of those individuals seems to be somehow related to tomatoes :row__572:

Comment

Originally posted by MagnaCentipede View Post
                              Oh noes, yelling and pepper spray.

You need a 5v1 beatdown to get any attention in the U.S.
                              Somewhat like this then?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7387755.stm

POE2 Developer

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X