Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gag on 2nd Amendment Is City’s Aim in Guns Suit

Originally posted by FTA
    Lawyers for Mayor Bloomberg are asking a judge to ban any reference to the Second Amendment during the upcoming trial of a gun shop owner who was sued by the city. While trials are often tightly choreographed, with lawyers routinely instructed to not tell certain facts to a jury, a gag order on a section of the Constitution would be an oddity.
    This is a whole new way for the government to run the show!

Re: Gag on 2nd Amendment Is City’s Aim in Guns Suit

Sure, the supreme law of the land should be ignored in this case...
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

That is just crazy! I am glad political officials have the ability to interpret the constitution as they see fit for this specific case. I did not see the reply from the Supreme Court when they asked the question. It mentioned it, but what they say could be far reaching.

As for the dealer, now if he did break a law he should be prosecuted, as well as anyone who illegally purchased them.
      "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

It's a good thing the founding fathers never wrote a document that shall never be ignored by any court...

Wait - There is one?!

The bill of rights?!

No way!
        Skud

Comment

Interesting:
          In the past the defense has struck a deal with the plaintiffs on the matter: Lawyers for the gun industry won’t mention the Bill of Rights to the jury, if the plaintiffs don’t mention the National Rifle Association.
          I didn't know the NRA was such a blight on gun rights =p

Comment

Should be illegal to do something like this.. I hope that mayor is put in prison and meets his cellmate Bubba..
            "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
            'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

That's quite ridiculous. I don't like gag orders in the first place and with a gag order on the constitution there's no involved party that would suffer from open discussion of the second amendment save the prosecution (which is how it's supposed to be).

Did you guys read why they put the gag order in? It supposedly has nothing to do with the case. Well if that is the case (no pun intended) then it won't be brought up right? It's only gonna be brought up if it is relevant. And it's up for the Jury to decide it's relevance.

Honestly are we gonna place gag orders to dictate the outcomes of criminal trials before they begin? Especially over the Constitution?!

Comment

Originally posted by Fenian420 View Post
                Should be illegal to do something like this.. I hope that mayor is put in prison and meets his cellmate Bubba..
                Because wishing for a person to get raped is totally the appropriate response here.

I'm personally in favor of greatly increased gun control, but as of now, the Second Amendment has been interpreted to mean that individuals can own a myriad of weapons with few, if any, meaningful restrictions. Until that changes, asking for there to be no mention of the Second Amendment is just absurd and wrong in a trial or judicial setting. It'd be like banning bringing up that pesky thing called laws in a murder trial.
                I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

Originally posted by Razcsak View Post
                  Because wishing for a person to get raped is totally the appropriate response here.
                  I don't think he said he wanted the mayor to get raped but I can understand how you'd assume that with Bill Clinton.

I'm personally in favor of greatly increased gun control, but as of now, the Second Amendment has been interpreted to mean that individuals can own a myriad of weapons with few, if any, meaningful restrictions.
                  And a TON of meaningless restrictions!

Comment

Well to answer Kero's question about the NRA being a bad name for guns, I cite this snippet from Bowling for Columbine. I still think Canadian Bacon was much funnier though. :p

And I'll agree with Raz that some more of gun control might be needed, but this is mainly because I do not believe in a "slippery slope". I will say that I believe in gun registration, especially for the more dangerous guns (see Title II weapons)
                    Last edited by Birdman1011395; 05-10-2008, 04:45 PM. Reason: NEW POST!!!
                    BF 2142:|TG| Birdman10113
                    CoD4: |TG|Birdman

Let's put the badges here...

Comment

What's great about gun control is that it keeps weapons out of the hands of criminals. After all, if I'm a criminal, I'm definitely not going to want to break any laws!
                      A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx View Post
                        What's great about gun control is that it keeps weapons out of the hands of criminals. After all, if I'm a criminal, I'm definitely not going to want to break any laws!
                        I will agree that for determined criminals it doesn't, but of course you can't do much against a determined individual in most legal sense. The point of gun control is to provide deterrents and hindrances to those that would misuse guns for criminal purposes. I personally support background checks, gun registration, and Project Exile.
                        BF 2142:|TG| Birdman10113
                        CoD4: |TG|Birdman

Let's put the badges here...

Comment

I also support background checks, but registration is obnoxious. If someone is able to pass the background check, then it's nobody's business but their own which legal weapons they possess.

And mandatory minimums? Good god man, that's the stuff of Neanderthal justice - cruel and hopefully one day unusual as well.
                          A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Criminals are going to get guns anyways, Guns are shipped into the US for criminal distribution from far away as South Africa... Personally I would rather have the US do an intense crackdown on gangs than slightly make owning a legal firearm harder.
                            "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
                            'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

Originally posted by Birdman1011395 View Post
                              The point of gun control is to provide deterrents and hindrances to those that would misuse guns for criminal purposes.
                              I disagree. From what I've seen, the point of gun control is to make people who don't own, like, or understand guns feel that they've made the world a slightly safer place by "getting rid of guns".

The idea that I, as a law-abiding, tax-paying, adult voting citizen, should have to ask anyone for permission to have a weapon in my home is right up there with the ideas the British imposed on the colonies that got the Boston Tea Party started.

But of course that's the basic divide between the two parties. My liberal friends in the forums have been known to refer to the fact that the typical American is "too stupid" (or some similar notion) to vote for the correct candidate. Probably too stupid or irresponsible to own a gun too. Government needs to "help" them in all sorts of ways. Help them make the right decision about owning a gun in this case, but there are countless examples of how liberals want to help me make better decisions.

I think that if you're all grown-up, it's your call. But you have to live with the consequences of your actions, and you have to pay for your crimes. No excuses.

I don't like that criminals use guns to kill innocent people. But I don't like that Bambi's mother died either, or that innocent people in Burma are dying by the thousands daily. It's a rough world. If anyone were to be truly serious about making this country SAFE, they'd have to toss most of the bill of rights and take on the responsibilities we citizens enjoy today. I don't like that country. I like this one.
                              Last edited by leejo; 05-10-2008, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X