Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CA Medical Marijuana dealers face manditory 20-year sentences

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...&sn=005&sc=623

OK this is ridiculous. When a state like CA - not one of those dinky states like AL (kiddingl!) - has a law on the books that makes this behavior legal, and the federal government has a law on the books that sends these men to jail for 20 years, this issue has GOT to be coming to a head.

If I were a CA citizen I'd be making my congressmen and senators hear my thoughts loud and clear about this. I'd also be hopping mad if they didn't make this a big issue. I know a lot of you think "states' rights" is about code for keeping the black man down, but I think you should reconsider. When the federal government uses the interstate commerce clause to send people to jail for 1/4 of their lives for commerce that never crosses state lines and was never intended to cross state lines, something is terribly wrong.

As they say at one of my favorite sites, lucianne.com, eagles up! I don't care if you bake yourself to death, and I don't care if you never touch the stuff, but this pisses me off. The federal government can't be bothered to enforce immigration law, but they sure can butt-stomp on CA's right to govern itself on this issue. Obscene.

Edit: FWIW my congressmen and senators will be hearing from me about this. To me, this isn't a marijuana issue, it's a who-do-you-think-you-are issue.

Re: CA Medical Marijuana dealers face manditory 20-year sentences

Good luck with that.

Since when did states' rights have anything to do with black people? I'm pretty confident state laws were more than a sheet of paper that says "jim crow lol."

Comment

Well in practice, and sadly, states' rights have had a lot to do with black people. I'll leave it to others to explain how or to others to do their on research, but like the local Houston furniture salesman's ads say "that's a fact, jack." (He was on letterman a long time ago, in case that rings a bell)

Anyway, it's the CA congressmen and senators' JOB to represent CA's interests in congress, so they'd better. I'm not talking about NABLA vs. USA. In my mind this is a matter of whether or not the CA legislature has the right to make these decisions or the Oregon legislature has the right to decide whether or not to allow assisted suicide without the federal government concocting some rationalization for assuming primacy.

Of course, if enough state legislatures pile on, this will go away quickly. As I said before, I think this issue is coming to a head.

Comment

Hey you know what? Oops.

I got a few paragraphs into the story and got so pissed off I posted before reading the rest of the article. It looks like these guys weren't so much interested in serving CA's terminally ill as in making some fat cash for themselves.

A better test of the state v. Fed issue might be some folks who don't roll in $185k Mercedes or attempt to hide their true income, etc.

Comment

Here's some places to sign up that will send you action alerts making it easy to beat on your "representatives":

http://www.drugpolicy.org/

http://www.mpp.org/

http://stopthedrugwar.org/
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

To elaborate on Leejo's retraction:

"Scarmazzo and Montes made millions by exploiting and hiding behind California's medical marijuana law," said McGregor Scott, U.S. attorney in Sacramento. "In this case, there was no conflict between state and federal law, as their conduct was illegal under both.

"California's medical marijuana law clearly sets out that making a profit selling marijuana is illegal," Scott said. "These two set out to make as much money as they could as drug dealers, plain and simple."
            That doesn't mean California law still doesn't cause a problem for the Federal Drug War, so we'll be seeing this issue again some day. Just not today.

Comment

And once again, I am saddened. "We encourage you to break federal drug laws, just don't dare make a profit. PROFITS are bad...if you make any of those we'll jail you like we'd like to jail WalMart."
              ---
              Sources say the Dow Jones' decline is directly related to Dethklok front-man Nathan Explosion's constant deleting of potential new albums.

Comment

You know, I hadn't even thought of it that way. Good point. :p

Comment

Originally posted by Switchcraft View Post
                  And once again, I am saddened. "We encourage you to break federal drug laws, just don't dare make a profit. PROFITS are bad...if you make any of those we'll jail you like we'd like to jail WalMart."
                  You are saddened? ;)

I think you have some Bill Frist stuck to your shoe, dude.

California, super-cool to the homeless...

Comment

What makes me laugh about these cases is that the judges almost always tell the defense that they cannot mention the State Laws allowing the sale of pot and they tend to brow-beat jurors into voting the law, not their conscience.

Sad state of affairs, but I expect nothing better from those involved in the "war on drugs."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X