Rachael Ray, Dunkin' Donuts and Michele Malkin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rachael Ray, Dunkin' Donuts and Michele Malkin

You just can't make this stuff up, and I can't even make up a good comment about it other than I'd like to have a word with Michele Malkin. What's ironic is that I probably could have - my sister is an executive at Newscorp and I was in their offices and studios last Friday.

Dunkin' Donuts pulled a television spot featuring talk show host and Food Network personality Rachael Ray this weekend after a Fox news commentator associated it with terrorists.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24860437/

Re: Rachael Ray, Dunkin' Donuts and Michele Malkin

Darn those terrorists and their insideous attempts to convert Rachel Ray! Leave our hottie cook show hosts alone!

She should have worn a harry potter scarf. That would have shown them!

Anyway... yeah...
    Problems here are that
    1) They think people who see it might actually think it has some terorist connection
    2) There are some people who actually ARE offended just because of this scarf. These are the people who need a slap.
    "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
    Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
    " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

Oh God, terrorists are wearing clothing?! Time for all freedom-loving Americans to go nekked!

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

It is true that certain middle eastern nationalities and sometimes 'sects' identify themselves with both the color and arrangement of the keffiyeh. The Saudis tend to wear red and white, tightly wrapped on the top of the head and extended in the back. The Palestinian Liberation Organization under Yasser Arafat wore the black and white keffiyeh loosely on the top, and sometime over the head and face, and to a certain extent Hamas uses the same colors, wearing it around the neck and face.

It's also true that many people show support for the Palestinian cause by wearing black-and-white keffiyehs.

It's also true that many other people (like Ms. Ray) think they are just 'scarfs.'

I am guessing it is also true that many other people (like Ms. Malkin) think they are terrorist rags and should shunned as 'supporting the enemy.' What she doesn't realize is that Palestinians are not necessarily enemies of the U.S., only of U.S. influence, and that not all Palestinians are terrorists, nor are all those who wear a black and white keffiyeh.

Comment

This to me would be akin to not wearing a trench coat for fear that you would offend a victim of the Columbine tragedy. The whole thing strikes me as immensely ridiculous that it is even an issue.
          "I've been working since I was sixteen. I fought in two wars. Hell, I've killed people. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy it..."
          -- Red Forman

Comment

it was a paisley print... wow.

I bet it is because dunkin is mostly a northeastern chain and everyone from the northeast must be liberal...

Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough! Benjamin Franklin

Comment

rachel ray was decent looking when she first started out, i will say i did find her kind of attractive, on a more humorous note if you go to break.com or youtube.com and type in rachel ray or rachel ray O face etc...you will find some interestingly funny clips of her reactions to food....
              Now that she is popular she has gone down hill, but fox news is as we know the more absurd news show around, they make the US look bad.......its pathetic, it really is, and the sad thing is no one from fox news will get fired for saying anything absurd, other news station reporters will but fox won't......it is very sad.

This is another example of how people want to control what we watch and hear.....its the worst kind of infringement on our rights.
              Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
              Level II Volunteer FireFighter
              Level I HazMat Technician
              NYS EMT-B
              Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
              RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
              Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
              Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
              We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

You know you've transcended all rationality when you start seeing terroristical subtext in Rachel Ray's accessories.

Either that or you've run out of things to be scared about by the left. Who says the politics of fear are over?
                Beatnik

Comment

Originally posted by Beatnik View Post
                  Either that or you've run out of things to be scared about by the left. Who says the politics of fear are over?
                  Or you're running out of Wingnut Bucks to finance your flagging pundit career.
                  What's sad is that the company was actually fearful enough of potential lost sales to cave to this chattering racist dipstick.
                  In game handle: Steel Scion
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Delta*RandyShugart* View Post
                    rachel ray was decent looking when she first started out, i will say i did find her kind of attractive, on a more humorous note if you go to break.com or youtube.com and type in rachel ray or rachel ray O face etc...you will find some interestingly funny clips of her reactions to food....
                    Now that she is popular she has gone down hill
                    What do you mean by "down hill"? I don't watch her show, but when I see her on my mom's TV (I do her grocery shopping for her) she still looks cute.

But my preference is for Giada.
                    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by thegreatnardini View Post
                      Oh God, terrorists are wearing clothing?! Time for all freedom-loving Americans to go nekked!
                      Or at least our favorite Food TV hotties! :D

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Some facts: Michelle Malkin was wrong, the scarf Ray was wearing was only similar to a keffiyeh. The Palestinians claim the keffiyeh as a symbol for their campaign. It originated there and continues to be worn by their fighters and other Islamists. The hard left and anti-Israel protestors have adopted the keffiyeh as a symbol of solidarity with the Palestinian cause. The symbolism of clothing has much more importance in the Middle East than in western cultures.

So, either you believe the Pals are oppressed and are just struggling for peace in which case you see no problem with someone wearing a keffiyeh, or you believe their words and actions follow the Hamas charter which calls for pushing Israel into the sea. In the later case you may find the symbol offensive. In no case is the keffiyeh just a scarf, unless you have no interest in the Palestinan-Israeli conflict.

Either way, why are you so upset about what Malkin says?
                        New to TG?

Comment

Originally posted by USN_Squid View Post
                          Some facts: Michelle Malkin was wrong, the scarf Ray was wearing was only similar to a keffiyeh. The Palestinians claim the keffiyeh as a symbol for their campaign. It originated there and continues to be worn by their fighters and other Islamists. The hard left and anti-Israel protestors have adopted the keffiyeh as a symbol of solidarity with the Palestinian cause. The symbolism of clothing has much more importance in the Middle East than in western cultures.

So, either you believe the Pals are oppressed and are just struggling for peace in which case you see no problem with someone wearing a keffiyeh, or you believe their words and actions follow the Hamas charter which calls for pushing Israel into the sea. In the later case you may find the symbol offensive. In no case is the keffiyeh just a scarf, unless you have no interest in the Palestinan-Israeli conflict.

Either way, why are you so upset about what Malkin says?
                          A third option is you are ignorant of the symbolism and just think it is "oh so cute!"

A fourth option is that you know the symbolism but, in general, hate symbolism and wear it as a slap to said symbolism. Maybe to mock it even.

A fifth option is you care only of the much older traditions that it represents and view the Palestinian use of it as a sideshow at best.

A sixth option is that you use it as a travel or survival aid. (See wiki)

A seventh option is you want to be like Lawrence of Arabia.

Many more options because the world is not binary.

I am upset because this is just another use of fear based on ignorance to influence the masses. Always a dangerous thing.
                          Im not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                          - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                          - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                          - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                          - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                          - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                          - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Some nice pics:

http://www.rachaelraypictures.com/

The thing is, I'm a sucker for a smile. And she's pretty much trademarked the smile.

Comment

Ah, yes, just because the kaffiyeh is a symbol of violence and hate to some people doesn't mean everyone else shouldn't just be able to adopt it as fashion.

Same with the American flag pin, the Confederate flag, blackface makeup, and white hoods!

Politics of fear? Berkeley stopped their department from displaying American Flags after the September 11th attacks because the symbol could have antagonized "peace" activists. Why is that okay but people are going to freak out on Malkin because she shows some distaste for someone else's symbolism.

Is she calling for the symbol to be banned? No. Has there been a history of public figures using the keffiyah as a symbol? Absolutely. Hugo Chavez does. Is there any doubt where he stands? I've been to dozens to dozens of demonstrations, in DC and right here at Columbia University, where keffiyah-wearing "peace" protesters call for the violent overthrow of various governments. Is there any doubt where they stand?

This isn't about fear. That's ridiculous. This is about people adopting symbols of hate as fashion. And if every one of you thumbing your nose at Malkin in this thread would be happy to see your kids' role-models walking around draped in Klan couture, wearing blackface, arguing for the repeal of the 13th Amendment, then...well, who am I kidding?
                              ---
                              Sources say the Dow Jones' decline is directly related to Dethklok front-man Nathan Explosion's constant deleting of potential new albums.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X