Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In Game Ads - Succesful or just a ploy by marketers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Game Ads - Succesful or just a ploy by marketers?

Imagine running through the desert in PR, or running for your life in TF2 or CS:S. And then all of a sudden you see a billboard for Gatorade, or maybe a little sign for cheese nips, your stomach grumbles your throat is dry....who knows maybe you would go grab some gatorade or cheese nips from the fridge or pantry. Or maybe next time you will get some at the grocery store.....intersting marketing technique or ploy?

http://kotaku.com/5012442/massive-in...gamers-love-em
    Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
    Level II Volunteer FireFighter
    Level I HazMat Technician
    NYS EMT-B
    Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
    RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
    Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
    Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
    We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Re: In Game Ads - Succesful or just a ploy by marketers?

Any ad can be effective and each ad will touch people differently. The ad might simply strengthen the name brand with their audience or it might increase sales. Really no way to tell but its effective. And the more work they put into adapting the ad to game, the bigger the payoff would be. So if 2142 had a Pepsi ad, it would do them well to make it look futuristic as it is sure to grab players attention and show that Pepsi is REALLY supporting the game and having "fun" too. So I see the ads as effective.

I also see the need for the ads as well. The cost to develope games is going through the roof. Companies are not making Pac Man type games these days but rather major undertakings like CoD4, BF2, Company of Heroes, etc. These games have 100's of employees while the games of old might have had a dozen or so. Then take into account the hardware needs, cost of offices, etc and its clear that the costs are going way way up!

But how do these studios make a profit then? Well so far they have been consolodating under groups like EA to pool their resources, getting more bang for their buck without driving up the consumers costs. They have attempted in game ads, micro transactions, booster/exansion packs, and fan items like Tshirts etc. Even then they might be getting more sales from volume as gaming grows, they are getting less and less money per sale. Something has got to give.

So in my opinion, we are going to see any number of things happen but these are the most likly. An increase in price the games sell for, a decrease in their content (We are already seeing this), or more ways to generate revenue outside of the initial sale. The last 2 are already happening but its only a matter of time until they kick in full gear and then the price goes up as well.
    Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

I pay for HBO and Showtime so I can watch movies or a series without getting 30 minutes of commericals out of every hour of watching.

If the game is free, by all means: subsidize your investment through advertising.

I'm not paying $60 to be deluged with advertisements. If you must have them, do them discreetly.

"With the Adidas promotion, for example, gamers who saw the ads in 2K Sports' Major League Baseball 2K7 said things like "Adidas is the only brand for me" and "Adidas is an inspirational brand" 70 percent more often than those not exposed to the ads."
      That's because people who play sports games tend to be casual gamers anyways. They're used to watching 5 minutes of commercials for every 15 minutes of mind-numbingly boring sports. They're also sheepish enough to consider a clothing line a way of life rather than something to cover their body.

And Massive's study seems to show gamers don't mind being influenced: 70 percent of gamers said the ads enhanced realism, fit the games they appeared in (universally sports games, except for the ads in Rainbow Six: Vegas) and that the ads "looked cool."
      Which is funny because well over 70% of gamers on XBLive are foaming-at-the-mouth retards, who think racial and sexual slurs make them big tough guys.

Comment

Im supprised there are not more ads....

For those that do not enjoy the idea of being barraged by advertisements..
        Check out ADBUSTERS

Warning, If you lean to the right, you will probably find the content offensive.

Comment

I'm probably thinking this one way too deep here but maybe it's a bit like what was said in "Supersize Me" where the cigarrette companies made fake cigarretes for children. Maybe in-game ads aren't really supposed to make you consciencely aware of the ad. If you really enjoy a game and play it all the time, then you go to the store and you want a soft-drink and you see the Gatorade symbol then you might reach for that since you recognize it and feel that it relates to you the best.

Comment

Studios are focusing on getting as many foaming retards to buy as much crap as possible rather then making the best possible game. The executives are deciding what games should be like rather then the creative gamers/designers. The ads don't bother me so much by themselves, it's the whoring process that goes along with them. The regression of BF1942 to BF3 is the perfect example. Good God where is the humanity? I hope the rise of commercial gaming will strengthen underground gaming development.

Comment

Originally posted by llPANCHOll View Post
              Im supprised there are not more ads....

For those that do not enjoy the idea of being barraged by advertisements..
              Check out ADBUSTERS

Warning, If you lean to the right, you will probably find the content offensive.
              Ugh, adbusters was my ex-girlfriends only opinion on anything.

Usually, like PETA, they're ill informed and so biased they cant pick out their heads from their buttholes.

Either way, worth reading for everyone. I read it on occasion. Just be aware that there's alot of CRAP that may not be true.
              Skud

Comment

I'm not a Supporting Member, so I get to see forum ads. I find them amusing, as the system Apophis has deployed attempts to analyze a thread's content and present ads relevant to that content. (This thread isn't long enough yet to get an ad.)

Were I running a game server that allowed it, I expect I'd run ads in the game to pay for my hosting and hardware. I doubt I'd run ads for popular brands, but instead would advertise things I and my team liked.
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Planetside, has had US military ad's in game for a while. THey run on video screens. Didn't duke nukem do a joke similar to this in game? (dont remember)

Anyway, If indeed, ad's would contribute to either A lowering cost of game or B bringing in funds to keep good games alive, server side and prevent them from becoming AbandonWare i'm all for it.

If I'm paying for a 60 dollar 360 game and xbox live account, then I expect to be ad free :)
                  Bf2142-TOOmuchMcLovin
                  America's Army- -=No.Ob=-McLovin
                  Bf2-TOOmuchSEX

Comment

I can see how it can be amusing in GTA IV or Gran Turismo, or even Duke Nukem, or possibly in a FPS like Rainbow Six: Las Vegas, because its either they buy the rights to use those ads, or they let the companies advertise and it helps pay for the game/marketing etc...

however if I were to see a Hummer ad in PR, i would laugh, because we all know the Hummer's that are sold to consumer's break upon impact......and it would be a horrible marketing ploy especially since many of the gamers are under the age of 21, and don't have $50,000 grand to spend on a crappy car.

Now if I were to see a bumper sticker on a Humvee that said "buy american" i would did that, or "buy british" because well it is a british modification.....but I would accept a grey poupon advertisement, because well the commercials were clever, and it would make for a great in-game video.
                    Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                    Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                    Level I HazMat Technician
                    NYS EMT-B
                    Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                    RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                    Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                    Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                    We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...