No announcement yet.

The Barack Obama corner of the sandbox!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Barack Obama corner of the sandbox!

Now that he's secured the nomination, it's time for Barack to have his own corner as the national campaign race starts up.

Post your Obama stories and analysis here.

Re: The Barack Obama corner of the sandbox!

>.>

<.<

*crickets*

I think you need to give us a discussion starter to get the ball rolling, Mosely.

Comment

A Frank Rich column today on Obama and what he brings in contrast to McCain:

Originally posted by Frank Rich
      The selling point of Mr. Obama’s vision of change is not doctrinaire liberalism or Bush-bashing but an inclusiveness that he believes can start to relieve Washington’s gridlock much as it animated his campaign. Some of that inclusiveness is racial, ethnic and generational, in the casual, what’s-the-big-deal manner of post-boomer Americans already swimming in our country’s rapidly expanding demographic pool. Some of it is post-partisan: he acknowledges that Republicans, Ronald Reagan included, can have ideas.

Opponents who dismiss this as wussy navet do so at their own risk. They at once call attention to the expiring shelf life of their own Clinton-Bush-vintage panaceas and lull themselves into underestimating Mr. Obama’s political killer instincts.
      And what McCain brings in contrast to Obama:

Originally posted by Frank Rich
      Mr. McCain, laboring under the misapprehension that he was wittily skewering his opponent, compulsively invoked the Obama-patented mantra of “change” 33 times in his speech.

Mr. McCain only reminded voters that he, like Mrs. Clinton, thinks that change is nothing more than a marketing gimmick. He has no idea what it means. “No matter who wins this election, the direction of this country is going to change dramatically,” he said on Tuesday. He then grimly regurgitated Goldwater and Reagan government-bashing talking points from the 1960s and ’70s even as he presumed to accuse Mr. Obama of looking “to the 1960s and ’70s for answers.”

Mr. McCain’s speech in a New Orleans suburb on Tuesday night spawned a cottage industry of ridicule, even among Republicans. The halting delivery, sickly green backdrop and spastic, inappropriate smiles, presumably mandated by some consultant hoping to mask his anger, left the impression that Mr. McCain isn’t yet ready for prime-time radio.

But the substance was even worse than the theatrics. Incredibly, Mr. McCain attacked Mr. Obama for being insufficiently bipartisan while speaking to the most conspicuously partisan audience you can assemble in today’s America: a small, nearly all-white crowd that seconded his attack lines with boorish choruses of boos. On TV, the audience came across as a country-club membership riled by a change in the Sunday brunch menu.
      http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/08/op...d81&ei=5087%0A

Comment

woot? :)
        Bf2142-TOOmuchMcLovin
        America's Army- -=No.Ob=-McLovin
        Bf2-TOOmuchSEX

Comment

Ok, there we go. Thank you Mosely.

*flexes typing fingers*

Columnist Frank Rich is seriously obsessed with race. He was furious that neither Clinton nor McCain took time out in their speeches this week to congratulate the American Public for finally nominating a Black candidate, since that's obviously much more important than nominating the best qualified candidate, and apparently slightly better than nominating a female candidate as well. He blasted McCain for giving speech about political inclusiveness to a crowd that was *gasp* mostly white, and accused him of choosing the state of Louisiana simply because the governor there is an ethnic minority.

(edit -- last line retracted, I was unnecessarily generalizing my complaint about Rich to all liberals. His racism can stand on its own.)

Comment

Rich was right that the McCain speech was horrible, but his idea that white=partisan is stupid.

Speaking of horribly executed speeches, I remember hearing months ago that Obama was simply unable to function well without a teleprompter, but I didn't pay much attention to him until recently:
            [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxBX8sz3tO8[/media] I don't think that video says anything about his qualifications as a candidate but I wonder how well he'd be able to handle real debates.

Update: Kero saw the same thing I did, but I have to spread some rep around first.
            ---
            Sources say the Dow Jones' decline is directly related to Dethklok front-man Nathan Explosion's constant deleting of potential new albums.

Comment

Krugman's .02:

Originally posted by Paul Krugman
              Mr. Obama’s nomination wouldn’t have been possible 20 years ago. It’s possible today only because racial division, which has driven U.S. politics rightward for more than four decades, has lost much of its sting.

And the de-racialization of U.S. politics has implications that go far beyond the possibility that we’re about to elect an African-American president. Without racial division, the conservative message — which has long dominated the political scene — loses most of its effectiveness.
              http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/09/op...eb4&ei=5087%0A

I do realize that I am so far posting op-eds from the Times, but I think these are touching on some good issues with regard to Obama's candidacy. With regard to the comments about race and Frank Rich's obsessions with it I would point out that this race is going to have a whole lot to do with race.

Comment

So the "de-racialization of U.S. politics" means this election is going to have a whole lot to do with race? Fantastic. God forbid it be about substance.
                ---
                Sources say the Dow Jones' decline is directly related to Dethklok front-man Nathan Explosion's constant deleting of potential new albums.

Comment

Originally posted by Switchcraft View Post
                  So the "de-racialization of U.S. politics" means this election is going to have a whole lot to do with race? Fantastic. God forbid it be about substance.
                  I would says racial issues are very substantial issues.
                  Im not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                  - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                  - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                  - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                  - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                  - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                  - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                    I would says racial issues are very substantial issues.
                    I think there's a difference between "racial issues" and "racism" and claiming that a crowd is partisan based on its skin color falls into the latter category.

I don't disagree that the occasion is momentous, or that it is so because of Obama's "race." But I guess I'd just rather hear more about "Obama the candidate" than "Obama the hey McCain had white people in his audience!"
                    ---

Comment

Originally posted by Switchcraft View Post
                      I think it can be easily argued that race is and should be a substantive issue in American politics. That aside, I'm sure you realize that in America substance is low on the list of election 'issues.' It is usually trumped by just about everything else - 527's, tabloid media, wedge issues, swing states, rhetoric - the list is pretty long. Thanks to Obama's choice of slogans, 'change' itself appears to now be an election issue - and that's not even really an issue as much as it is an inevitability.

When you really line them up, McCain and Obama are so opposed to one another in terms of their views on matters of substance that I doubt there will be much discussion of the matters themselves. Instead of tackling the big ones like social spending, energy and environmental policy, medicare/medicaid, gay and women's rights, war, diplomacy and foreign policy I think we'll instead hear more about Jerimiah Wright and McCain's congressional flip-flop record.

Let's face it, if American politics is a burger, it's presented more like Uncle Eddie's (Dennis Quaid's) hamburger helper burgers in 'Vacation' - "I don't know why they call this stuff hamburger helper. It does just fine by itself, huh?"

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely View Post
                        Krugman's .02:

Originally posted by Paul Krugman
                        Mr. Obama’s nomination wouldn’t have been possible 20 years ago. It’s possible today only because racial division, which has driven U.S. politics rightward for more than four decades, has lost much of its sting.

And the de-racialization of U.S. politics has implications that go far beyond the possibility that we’re about to elect an African-American president. Without racial division, the conservative message — which has long dominated the political scene — loses most of its effectiveness.
                        http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/09/op...eb4&ei=5087%0A

I do realize that I am so far posting op-eds from the Times, but I think these are touching on some good issues with regard to Obama's candidacy. With regard to the comments about race and Frank Rich's obsessions with it I would point out that this race is going to have a whole lot to do with race.
                        I happened to read Krugman's article after noticing it linked from your first article. His basic idea is that people who say they are pro-small-government are really just racists who don't like government aid going to those darn black people...*shudder*...and that therefore as America becomes less racist, the small-government crowd will naturally shrivel and die, leaving big-government Democrats to rule the country unopposed.

No offense, but that's just absurd. Paul Krugman clearly has no idea what the "conservative message" actually is.

Comment

OBAMA IS BLACK.

There, I said it.

(Discuss)

I for one would love a black man in the presidency... It would finally put black racists (Al Sharpton) out of business for GOOD.
                          Skud

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
                            No offense, but that's just absurd. Paul Krugman clearly has no idea what the "conservative message" actually is.
                            I understand your point and your question, but I think Krugman would respond "who does?" McCain almost characterizes the state of American conservatism today - older, possibly wiser but softer, and short on new ideas.

I almost posted a recent New Yorker article entitled "The Fall of Conservatism," which was mostly inspired by a recent book (Nixonland) on the Nixon presidency but mostly calls into question the remaining life in what is traditionally referred to as 'conservatism' in America. Here's a quote:

The fact that the least conservative, least divisive Republican in the 2008 race is the last one standing—despite being despised by significant voices on the right—shows how little life is left in the movement that Goldwater began, Nixon brought into power, Ronald Reagan gave mass appeal, Newt Gingrich radicalized, Tom DeLay criminalized, and Bush allowed to break into pieces.
                            On May 6th, Newt Gingrich posted a message, “My Plea to Republicans: It’s Time for Real Change to Avoid Real Disaster,” on the Web site of the conservative magazine Human Events. The former House Speaker warned, “The Republican brand has been so badly damaged that if Republicans try to run an anti-Obama, anti-Reverend Wright, or (if Senator Clinton wins) anti-Clinton campaign, they are simply going to fail.”
                            It's a pretty interesting article, I think, on a number of fronts. However, I disagree with what seems to be one of its main theses:

Perlstein argues that the politics of “Nixonland” will endure for at least another generation. On his final page, he writes, “Do Americans not hate each other enough to fantasize about killing one another, in cold blood, over political and cultural disagreements? It would be hard to argue they do not.” Yet the polarization of America, which we now call the “culture wars,” has been dissipating for a long time.
                            I think it's still a very red and blue country. The question this year is whether or not people will still vote that way. In a way the earlier discussion of substance comes into question - race also puts a serious twist in the red vs. blue approach as well. McCain is a sensible candidate for the Republican party, especially taking this article into account, but it's Obama who might really and truly redefine American presidential politics.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSkudDestroyer View Post
                              OBAMA IS BLACK.

There, I said it.

(Discuss)

I for one would love a black man in the presidency... It would finally put black racists (Al Sharpton) out of business for GOOD.
                              Obama is white.
                              ---

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X