Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just how much are the oil companies making.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just how much are the oil companies making.

I usually do not post in the sandbox but this just pisses me off. Check out the video.

http://www.yahoo.com/s/898308

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Re: Just how much are the oil companies making.

Government revenues from taxing gasoline are more than double the oil company profits. Talk about windfall profits.
    New to TG?

Comment

Don't get pissed off. Get in on it. If you aren't making money off the oil profits, that's your fault. I did some math a while back, and figured out that if I had invested in oil companies a couple years back, it would MORE than make up for the higher energy costs we're paying for now. Also, I work for the oil companies, and they pay me pretty well, so I see those higher prices and profits directly trickle down to me. At least in Texas, lots of people are getting in on this business. It's a boom-bust business, so times are great when they are, but they also drop off like a rock too and ruin lots of people. My dad was in the business during the big oil crash around 1984 and 1996. Many companies went under or were merged into oblivion. He's one of the few survivors from that era in his profession. It is a greedy industry that usually gets what's coming to them sooner or later, but until then...get your piece of the pie!
      "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

I'm really, really glad the oil companies are making lots of dosh. 'course I work for one, so... Yeah. My restricted stock funds hit six digits and I've only had two rounds injection. On the flip side, what good is a million bucks if our dollar goes the way of the Zimbabwean in the next ten years?

And USN_Squid is very correct. The US government/state taxes take the largest share of revenues from gasoline sold in the US. Something to the tune of double any profit the oil companies make from it.

EDIT: Just another thing to keep in mind these revenues are from investments (i.e. research, F&D, discoveries, offshore drilling) on average 10 years ago. For the larger companies like Exxon and BP, even longer 15-25 years. Gross revenue is used to maintain their large investments and profits generally go back into their investment "scheme" (infrastructure, development, logistics, refining, marketing, etc.). These companies just don't sit around and roll in the profit they make; they use it to fund the ever more expensive and risky prospects.

If you want to get pissed off at an industry, say hey to pharma and most evil of all finance.
        ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
        No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Rincewind View Post
          I'm really, really glad the oil companies are making lots of dosh. 'course I work for one, so... Yeah. My restricted stock funds hit six digits and I've only had two rounds injection. On the flip side, what good is a million bucks if our dollar goes the way of the Zimbabwean in the next ten years?

And USN_Squid is very correct. The US government/state taxes take the largest share of revenues from gasoline sold in the US. Something to the tune of double any profit the oil companies make from it.

EDIT: Just another thing to keep in mind these revenues are from investments (i.e. research, F&D, discoveries, offshore drilling) on average 10 years ago. For the larger companies like Exxon and BP, even longer 15-25 years. Gross revenue is used to maintain their large investments and profits generally go back into their investment "scheme" (infrastructure, development, logistics, refining, marketing, etc.). These companies just don't sit around and roll in the profit they make; they use it to fund the ever more expensive and risky prospects.

If you want to get pissed off at an industry, say hey to pharma and most evil of all finance.
          Exactly! Well said.
          "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

As already noted, these are all public companies. If you think that Exxon is printing money, go ahead and buy the stock and start getting dividend payments in the mail.

What's good for Exxon is good for your pension.
            A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

It seems to be politically expedient to blame the oil companies for the current problems but I think that it has more to do with the fact that we've passed peak oil while global demand has grown sharply. In my opinion, the best solution is to get a reasonable car and take public transportation. Then again, I live in Arizona and don't have to buy heating oil.
              sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I just don't have a problem with the portion the oil companies get to keep...
                ---
                Sources say the Dow Jones' decline is directly related to Dethklok front-man Nathan Explosion's constant deleting of potential new albums.

Comment

How much of that .42 tax goes back into energy subsidies? Honest question.
                  In game handle: Steel Scion
                  sigpic

Comment

Probably about 42 cents more than anyone here would prefer.
                    A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

We need a gas tax lockbox!

Comment

Who killed Davey Moore?

Comment

"Not I!" says lee(jo)
                          Don't point your finger at me.

Comment

How much of that oil profit do you benefit from if you don't invest in the company? None. How much of that tax money do you benefit from? Most.

The governemt employees wages don't go up like an oil company employees would. The government doesn't get some kind of yearly bonus on tax revenue. The taxes are returned to the pupblic in a variety of ways by funding infastructure etc. Taxes don't go into a big bucket that government officials can go and grab beer money from every Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by Long Bow View Post
                              Taxes don't go into a big bucket that government officials can go and grab beer money from every Friday.
                              Really? Count me out of any public office. Ever.
                              ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                              No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X