Hating high gas prices?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hating high gas prices?

I don't normally spend much time in this forum so I'll apologize if this has been referenced before. A buddy at work pointed me at the following article which talks about global warming, environmentalists and our current energy woes. It is well written and does a good job summarizing my feelings on the whole issue.

http://www.kusi.com/weather/colemans.../19842304.html

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Re: Hating high gas prices?

Originally posted by Bernout View Post
    I don't normally spend much time in this forum so I'll apologize if this has been referenced before. A buddy at work pointed me at the following article which talks about global warming, environmentalists and our current energy woes. It is well written and does a good job summarizing my feelings on the whole issue.

http://www.kusi.com/weather/colemans.../19842304.html

Bernout
    Please see the other threads on energy costs.

It has almost nothing to do with Al Gore. In fact if it was Al Gores doing, gas would be real cheap because nobody would be using it. The entire world would be switching to solar cars or walking or something.

The reason it is so expensive is because many think the world is going bonkers for oil and there is super, duper high demand now and for as far as the eye can see.
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Oh, and this is from a weatherman in San Diego? That is just so funny.
      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
        Oh, and this is from a weatherman in San Diego? That is just so funny.
        Why should that make a difference? There's obviously more to a person than their profession. This guy appears to have done his homework and IMO his opinion is equally as valid as many of the "scientists" out there.

Like I said, I thought he was well spoken and raised a lot of good points. Sure, demand is up and that is influencing prices. But the other side of the coin as we all know is supply and the US infrastructure is lacking. We need to make up for lost time and build new power plants, refineries, and start expanding our own oil production where possible. Our dependence on oil isn't going to go away anytime soon.

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

Why should that make a difference? There's obviously more to a person than their profession. This guy appears to have done his homework and IMO his opinion is equally as valid as many of the "scientists" out there.

Like I said, I thought he was well spoken and raised a lot of good points. Sure, demand is up and that is influencing prices. But the other side of the coin as we all know is supply and the US infrastructure is lacking. We need to make up for lost time and build new power plants, refineries, and start expanding our own oil production where possible. Our dependence on oil isn't going to go away anytime soon.

Bernout
          He was neither well spoken nor did he raise a lot of good points. Very pedestrian, actually. People on this forum, on both sides of the debate, have been better spoken and raised better points.

It is funny because he is a weatherman in the most static weather area of the country. How much talent does it take to get that job? None. He would flail in my part of the country.

Comment

Apropos:
            Originally posted by Lewis Black
            Now, what's meteorologist mean in English? It means liar! And what's the best job you can have in the world? It's being the weatherperson in San Diego, CA. It doesn't get any better than that. You're on TV for less than a minute. You've got a 6-figure income.

They're like 'what's the weather going to be like, Lewis?'
            'Nice....back to you.'
            ---
            Sources say the Dow Jones' decline is directly related to Dethklok front-man Nathan Explosion's constant deleting of potential new albums.

Comment

It is well written and does a good job summarizing my feelings on the whole issue.
              Then I recommend you read more about this topic. This article is nothing but rationalizations of a gut decision. His argument aginst AGW comes down to this:

Let me illustrate. I estimate that this square in front of my face contains 100,000 molecules of atmosphere. Of those 100,000 only 38 are CO2; 38 out of a hundred thousand. That makes it a trace component. Let me ask a key question: how can this tiny trace upset the entire balance of the climate of Earth? It canít. Thatís all there is to it; it canít.

Yes, it can. The radiative forcing of 384ppm CO2 is well understood.

I also think it's funny that he dismisses parts-per-million CO2 concentrations, yet later heralds smog as a problem that needed solving. Smog pollutants are measured in parts-per-billion.

bkelly

Comment

I live in San Diego, and most of the scientific community here consider him to be a deluded fool. If he wants to make a point, he should gather some data and publish the results in a respected peer-reviewed journal.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by tau_neutrino View Post
                  I live in San Diego, and most of the scientific community here consider him to be a deluded fool. If he wants to make a point, he should gather some data and publish the results in a respected peer-reviewed journal.
                  Well, let's not ignore the fact that people that publish things in peer reviewed journals do not have an audience that compares to this deluded fool.
                  Become a supporting member!
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                  TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by Switchcraft View Post
                    Apropos:
                    (family guy reference)

"And now to Olly with the sandiego weather report, Olly, whats the weather like out there?"

"Great"

"And in other news..."
                    Bf2142-TOOmuchMcLovin
                    America's Army- -=No.Ob=-McLovin
                    Bf2-TOOmuchSEX

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse