Saving Private Ryan.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saving Private Ryan.

I just heard on the news (CNN) that ABC was going to air "Saving Private Ryan" completely unedited. The problem was, some of the ABC affiliates didnt want to air it on their network because they didnt want backlash from the FCC (in case people found it "indecent"). A couple of years back (or months, cant remember which). ABC did air it unedited, and put a warning about the violance and language on it and from what a spokes women said, the FCC _still_ got complaints about it. That was before the "nipple heard around the world" incident at the Superbowl and now they're scared to air it again (post nipple) in case the FCC fines them. Sooo....

What do you guys think? Should the affiliates of aired it and said the hell with the FCC (and Janet's nipple)? Or do you find their point of view a valid one.

I personally dont see a problem with it, as long as they said ahead of time that "do to scenes of a graphic nature and intense language. Viewer discretion is advised" and left it up to the parents to decided whether they wanted to watch it or not. In fact, they should of said in the warning that this movie doesnt have any nipples in it... then maybe parents would let their kids watch it. In fact, I think we should have a new rating called "N" which would stand for "nipples". Any tv show that might have a nipple in it would get the "N" rating.

The word "nipple" was used 6 times (well 7 counting this sentance) in the making of this post.

Re: Saving Private Ryan.

yes, they should, but im not gonna watch it :P

Comment

Somebody's gonna have to challenge the FCC in court eventually. They're taking things a bit too far, IMO.

I think that a major network could successfully argue that Saving Private Ryan broadcast with warnings after 9pm is definitely NOT "offensive".
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by Sniper
        yes, they should, but im not gonna watch it :P
        Why not? Already have the DVD?

This is one of the movies that came out at about the same time I was looking at getting a DVD player, so I have it on VHS and DVD... Special addition VHS, too...

Heck, I've got 3 different VHS versions of the StarWars trilogy and now I have to get the DVD set...

But anyway, Saving Private Ryan is now one of the best war movies ever. I don't see how anyone could label it "offensive".
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
          But anyway, Saving Private Ryan is now one of the best war movies ever. I don't see how anyone could label it "offensive".
          Ranks right there with "Platoon" IMO :)

Comment

band of brothers and saving private ryan are the definitive wwii movies for the european front.......
            Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
            The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
              Heck, I've got 3 different VHS versions of the StarWars trilogy and now I have to get the DVD set...
              I drove 90 miles to get to a 24 hour walmart so I could be the first to buy it.

I agree with Dave. One day, somebody will have to challenge the FCC on their stupid rulings. CBS has already done it about their ruling on the "nipple heard around the world" incedent (dont know what happen). Its just plain stupid now.

Comment

The FCC didn't force this position, the affiliates were making a point. The FCC responds to complaints, it does not proactively tell stations what they may or may not say or do on TV.

Janet Jackson flashing her boobie at a football game is one thing, but I challenge any beurecrat to levy a fine about a movie in which a soldier says the f-word...in combat...on Veteran's day. Unless that person wanted Congress itself to take personal interest in ending his or her career. Never happen.

Here in Austin, the ABC affiliate was so concerned about the sensitive children who may have been watching that they showed an Oprah about a man who accidentally killed his wife (gather 'round kids!) followed by Lethal Weapon 3 (gather 'round kids!).

Comment

Originally posted by leejo
                  The FCC didn't force this position, the affiliates were making a point. The FCC responds to complaints, it does not proactively tell stations what they may or may not say or do on TV.
                  Of course they do. Every fine they hand out they're telling stations what can and cant be on tv.

Janet Jackson flashing her boobie at a football game is one thing, but I challenge any beurecrat to levy a fine about a movie in which a soldier says the f-word...in combat...on Veteran's day. Unless that person wanted Congress itself to take personal interest in ending his or her career. Never happen.
                  The last time it was on tv last year, they had warnings after warnings about the language and the FCC still got complaints about it. Just because its Venteran's day you think its going to be different? Yeah right.

Here in Austin, the ABC affiliate was so concerned about the sensitive children who may have been watching that they showed an Oprah about a man who accidentally killed his wife (gather 'round kids!) followed by Lethal Weapon 3 (gather 'round kids!).
                  Oprah is the exception. The FCC doesnt want to fight her because they know they will lose (look at all the complaints they got about her sex show. The FCC didnt do a damn thing about it.).

As for Lethal Weapon 3. I am sure they edited that movie all to hell. Its probably not even the same movie after all the cuts they make.

Comment

Don't forget that Schindler's List was shown unedited on TV just a couple of years ago.

Right now we are a nation where parents consider the TV to be the babysitter, and they want that babysitter to say no bad words and have no sexuality. Violence is perfectly fine however.

In any event, network TV is becoming so watered down and inane that it's becoming a non-entity. Just as satellite radio is pushing the over-regulated, commercial saturated free radio aside, the future of TV will consist more and more of the type of cable programming we are seeing on HBO and Showtime, with their original series and such. Adults want to see adult dramas, and the success of shows like The Sopranos and Sex and the City are examples of that.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

I didn't watch it because I was REALLY busy

Comment

masturbation is not eligible for definition as busy.........
                        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                        The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG=
                          masturbation is not eligible for definition as busy.........

wasnt that... busy as in out at the farm shooting guns..

a 30-30 and .243 to be exact.

After shooting them... I think i should go back to iron sights until i get used to the scope again. In the 1st part of hunting season, i always suck with scopes, then gradually but fast, get better :)

Comment

dont you guys have a watershed, what the hell is wrong with saving private ryan anyway...

everyone trying to please everyone else does not work,

god damn boy scouts complaining again spoils the fun for everyone else.

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Heh.... They wouldn't show Saving Private Ryan, but they sure are in hot water for Monday's football intro, huh? If you haven't seen it, go to www.ifilm.com and check it out. I don't think there's much to it... Definitely not offensive, IMO.

While you're at iFilm, look for the Audi: MC Escher commercial, too. It's great.
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X