Ancient trumpet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancient trumpet

Back in the 60's, when my dad and his brothers were young, my dad's youngest brother became great friends with an old man next name Rizzo. Rizzo pretty much treated him as a grand son and taught him music, politics, and financing. Rizzo left almost his entire fortune and possessions in the hands of my uncle when he died in his 90's. This really pissed off his sons and other grandsons that some kid was able to get so much from him even though they weren't related.

Rizzo was a musician in 30's and had a very high quality trumpet and banjos because of it. Uncle Willy gave me this 60 year old trumpet since he no longer played brass. Turns out the trumpet has been in the closet of their house for the past 20 years and smell like $&~^.

So far, i've been able to get the smell off the trumept itself with a good bath and lots of soap. No i need to get the smell of the case. Any ideas on how to clean the outside and inside of the case.

The inside is covered in blue velvet, the outside is covered in a fuzzy cloth that does not resemble leather. I was wondering if scrubbing the outside and coating the inside with baking soda would help remove the moldy stale smell.
    |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Re: Ancient trumpet

I'm a trumpet player, and while I've never used it myself, I've heard baking soda would be fine if it's brass, but I'm not so sure about silver. But I'd start by letting it soak in warm water overnight in the bathtub. Unscrew the valves and pull out the pipes and mouthpiece if you can, but I'd bet they won't budge. (Normally I'd use a standard trumpet cleanup kit, but I'm not so sure about how useful that'll be against 60 year buildup)

You also might want to find a music shop in the area, they've got chemicals that, depending on how severe it is, could do the job.

Also, you able to read the manufacturer/model of it? (curious)
    Last edited by Satertek; 06-16-2008, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir-Nerd View Post
      So far, i've been able to get the smell off the trumept itself with a good bath and lots of soap. No i need to get the smell of the case. Any ideas on how to clean the outside and inside of the case.

The inside is covered in blue velvet, the outside is covered in a fuzzy cloth that does not resemble leather. I was wondering if scrubbing the outside and coating the inside with baking soda would help remove the moldy stale smell.
      You would probably be best to use a company that specializes in fabric recovery. you may not have one near you and need to send it a way to them.. it probably won't be cheap either, for a trumpet case, perhaps a couple hundred bucks.

The noxious nature of the oder is probably a mix of mold and valve oil, the mix of the two may thwart any attempts you try to make on you own.
      sigpic

Comment

I was thinking of that. I'm trying to save the case since it's custom made for the trumpet and all it's parts and trying to replace it would be near impossible.

If all the tricks that i know of doesn't get rid of the smell (ie vinegar, baking soda, and febreeze) ill see what i can find in the fabric recover bizz.

Company that made the trumpet was C. G. CONN made in Elkhart, Indiana,

I can read of the serial number if that'll find you a date.
        Last edited by Sir-Nerd; 06-16-2008, 03:56 PM.
        |TG-6th|SirNerd

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

I was thinking of that. I'm trying to save the case since it's custom made for the trumpet and all it's parts and trying to replace it would be near impossible.

If all the tricks that i know of doesn't get rid of the smell (ie vinegar, baking soda, and febreeze) ill see what i can find in the fabric recover bizz.

Company that made the trumpet was C. G. CONN made in Elkhart, Indiana,

I can read of the serial number if that'll find you a date.
          Here is your serial number info -
          http://www.conn-selmer.com/content/r...s/serialno.php

C.G. Conn is still in business.
          sigpic

Comment

Did someone say CONN?

Required viewing. (Part 1)
            Required viewing. (Part 2)

Comment

I know, appears that this trumpet was made in 1933-1934 era. 75 years old.
              |TG-6th|SirNerd

Comment

I know, appears that this trumpet was made in 1933-1934 era. 75 years old.
                Thats pretty cool. Do you play? How does it sound?

If ya think about it.. and hang on to it.. it will be a 100 year old instrument not so far down the road.
                sigpic

Comment

Yes i do play, and it sound beautiful compared to my other trumpet.
                  |TG-6th|SirNerd

Comment

If you have an passive air ionizer that makes ozone (i.e. ionic breeze, ionicair, or just an ozone machine), you can place the case in an inflated, sealed (preferably clear) plastic bag with the air ionizer running (or alternately a closet that you wont open). Run the ionizer/ozone machine for a day take the case out of the bag and see if you notice any difference in the smell of the fabric. If you don't try running it for a couple of more days. Eventually it will make a drastic improvement or none at all. The three day mark in a bag is usually my stopping point.

There are a few guide on the internet for removing odors from fabrics with an ozone machine.
                    ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                    No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Yes i do play, and it sound beautiful compared to my other trumpet.
                      Awesome. Very cool.. thats all that matters..
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by P8riot View Post
                        Awesome. Very cool.. thats all that matters..
                        So does getting rid of the smell, my mother won't let the case in the house unless i manage to get rid of the smell. It's been sitting out in the sun for around 24 hours covered in baking soda.

I was taking all the parts out of the trumpet, the valves and pipes slid out rather easily for a trumpet that hasn't been touched for around 25 years. The valves still had a mirror sheen and i noticed that the inside of the pipes had absolutely no buildup whatsoever. I was shocked, I guess old man Rizzo cleaned it out to perfection before he gave to my uncle.

The trumpet now had a fresh petroleum jelly covering the slides and new valve oil. Works like a charm.

Ill have pictures up here soon.
                        |TG-6th|SirNerd

Comment

Comment are at the top of each picture.

The 75 year old on is at the top. My current one is on the bottom.

A close up on most of the trumpet.

Shell tipped valves = awesome and smooth

These adjustable "stoppers" are on the first and third valve slides and on the tuning slide.

This is what the valve looked like when i first pulled it out, i kid you not.

CONN emblem on the outside of the case.

Baking soda + lots of sun and air = fresh smell i hope.

This mute has seen better days.
                          |TG-6th|SirNerd

Comment

Wow! I'm a brass player myself (ex-trumpet turned euphonium and trombone) and that looks like a beautiful horn. Most of Conn's older horns sound amazing. I had the pleasure of playing on a horn like that, most likely not as old but it was great.

Comment

Any ideas on how to get rid of the smell on the outside of the trumpet case. I sprayed it down with Febreeze and left in the sun for a couple of day. The smell is still persisting. Also when it was moist from the Febreeze, black stuff came off of it. Is this dry rot.
                              |TG-6th|SirNerd

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X