Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US is to FINALLY get a high-speed train!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US is to FINALLY get a high-speed train!

This is so cool. Here's one of the good outcomes of these high gas prices. It's finally making America take a serious look at high speed trains and more efficient modes of transportation. It's from Anaheim to Las Vegas and will go up to 310 mph. I hope it doesn't take too long to get built, because I'll seriously plan on flying to LA just so I can ride the train to LV. Tickets are expected to be only $55. President Bush just signed the transportation bill that throws some funds that way. I know it's probably a massive pork barrel project and Las Vegas could probably afford to fund it themselves (since it is for their benefit), but still. This needs to happen in my opinion. Hopefully it will pave the way for copycat ideas.

In Texas, we've been talking about doing this for decades, but it's never picked up too much steam. The idea was that we should have a bullet train connecting San Antonio to Austin to Dallas to Houston, with Austin as the main hub. That way people could affordable and easily make commutes to any major city from any major city. That's the way of the future and the way it needs to be. Texas is way too big a state to be stuck in the dark ages like we are.
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Re: US is to FINALLY get a high-speed train!

Sorry for the double post. I'm not sure how that happened. Could an admin please remove the first one?

Comment

$12 billion. Yikes!
      A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Maglevs can break the speed of sound if they want to. The Chinese are currently testing one that exceeds 500Km/hr. That's LA to NYC in just a couple of hours - the only problem is, it's gotta go through someone's backyard!

Talk about awesome technology - silent, relatively crash proof, and super fast.

Anyone ever see this?
        [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeS_U9qFg7Y[/media]

Comment

I would love to get to Austin in 30 min.

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely View Post
            Maglevs can break the speed of sound if they want to. The Chinese are currently testing one that exceeds 500Km/hr. That's LA to NYC in just a couple of hours - the only problem is, it's gotta go through someone's backyard!
            I'd love for it to go through my backyard. :)
            I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

Talk about awesome technology - silent, relatively crash proof, and super fast.

Anyone ever see this?
              [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeS_U9qFg7Y[/media]
              Great link! Such a simple yet absolutely fascinating technology. So is this new Maglev in the US gonna be different than the ones already in place in Europe and Japan?

Comment

Originally posted by Razcsak View Post
                I'd love for it to go through my backyard. :)
                I believe a lot of people (see states) in the Mid-Atlantic would love a high-speed train to go through your backyard, Raz. :p
                BF 2142:|TG| Birdman10113
                CoD4: |TG|Birdman

Let's put the badges here...

Comment

We'll see if it actually happens. They broke news like this in florida several years ago that there was supposed to be one in construction between tampa, orlando, jacksonville and miami. Never happened because it eventually got too expensive.

Comment

I think it's time for Britain to get some of those...

Nice link AMosely, especially the part where the train stays on the side of the 'building'!

A Mag-Lev train through the backyard would be fun, so long as it is totally silent.
                    |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
                    Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Maglevs can break the speed of sound if they want to. The Chinese are currently testing one that exceeds 500Km/hr. That's LA to NYC in just a couple of hours...
                      500km/h = 310mph. According to Google Maps, it's 2,776 miles from LA to NYC. If you maintain 310mph the whole way (doubtful) AND don't make a single stop (doubtful), then you're looking at 8.95 hours transit time. More realistically, with stops and the fact that you're not going to be even near 310mph for most of the trip, you're probably looking at a 12 or 20 hour trip.

By comparison, the Concorde jet cruised at 1,320mph. It could make the LA to NYC flight in 2.10 hours - if it weren't sidelined by noise regulations. The Boeing 757, a common aircraft for the LA-NYC flight, cruises at 530mph - it can make the trip in 5.23 hours.
                      A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
                        We'll see if it actually happens. They broke news like this in florida several years ago that there was supposed to be one in construction between tampa, orlando, jacksonville and miami. Never happened because it eventually got too expensive.
                        The cost of land usually gets them in the end.

But with the current SCOTUS they maybe able to say they are making a very, very long mall and get it dirt cheap.
                        Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                        - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                        - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
                          Yep...I remember this well. With things the way they are I think they are looking at it again...

Play MySpace games? PeepsDepot.com to get all the Peeps you need for any game!

Wii# 5935-7920-5346-8754 | PS3:TheeShadyB | XBOX 360:TheeShadyB

Comment

I am feeling the need...the need for speed!

Play MySpace games? PeepsDepot.com to get all the Peeps you need for any game!

Wii# 5935-7920-5346-8754 | PS3:TheeShadyB | XBOX 360:TheeShadyB

Comment

We have the train track system already in place, we just need to upgrade it! :D

- -

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X