X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackwater loves it some Shari’a Law

http://www.newsobserver.com/front/story/1112843.html
    U.S. company: crash lawsuit governed by Islamic law
    RALEIGH - To defend itself against a lawsuit by the widows of three American soldiers who died on one of its planes in Afghanistan, a sister company of the private military firm Blackwater has asked a federal court to decide the case using the Islamic law known as Shari’a.
    If the judge agrees, it would essentially end the lawsuit over a botched flight supporting the U.S. military. Shari’a law does not hold a company responsible for the actions of employees performed within the course of their work.
    [Blackwater sister company] Presidential Airways argued that the lawsuit must be dismissed; legal doctrine holds that soldiers cannot sue the government, and the company was acting as an agent of the government.

Last year, a series of federal judges dismissed that argument.

In April, Presidential asked a federal judge in Florida to dismiss the lawsuit because the case is controlled by Afghanistan’s Islamic law. If the judge agrees that Afghan law applies, the lawsuit would be dismissed. The company also plans to ask a judge to dismiss the lawsuit on the constitutional grounds that a court should not interfere in military decision-making.
    Whether or not you think that the company should be held liable for the crash, they are certainly coming up for some creative arguments to deny jurisdiction. Impressive scumbaggery.
    In game handle: Steel Scion
    sigpic

Re: Blackwater loves it some Shari’a Law

Just ask them about their stateside "training" arsenal of fully automatic weapons.

Oh, did I say theirs? I meant the sheriffs.
    ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
    No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Jesus.
      A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

And again I find myself questioning the overuse of military contractors in active combat zones. There is a built-in conflict of interest here - the U.S. military is in it for the country. Contractors are in it for the money - in other words, they don't give a ____. Mix the two and you're putting American troops and their mission at risk.

Comment

My niece was stationed in Mosul for a year, working the warehouse. She says a lot of the troops on base with her actually liked the Blackwater presence. Their RoE was drastically different and more relaxed than the actual U.S. Soldiers. They were free to engage targets that U.S. troops otherwise could not (because they were unarmed or some silly nonsense). Though she agrees it's completely ridiculous and unjust, she did feel a lot safer when they were around.
          | | |

Comment

I was suprised when i first ventured into the sandbox/general discussion area, that there were not blackwater threads.........The story behind BlackWater is pretty interesting, and if you ever watched the SWAT Team Competitions back in the day on ESPN 2 when it came out, and even ESPN (i'm not sure if its still broadcasted, it might be on a random weds on an august afternoon) But they took place at the BlackWater Facility in North Carolina, they have a very impressive training facility.

I am glad your niece got home safe A-Dog, and that is an interesting story you shared with us, thank you.

I am a supporter of them, as I am of The Police, Federal Agents and the Military. Everyone does screw up here and there, but such is life........Even Judas realized his mistake after he betrayed Jesus.
            Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
            Level II Volunteer FireFighter
            Level I HazMat Technician
            NYS EMT-B
            Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
            RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
            Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
            Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
            We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

The bedrock foundation of the free market is the ability to sue companies for any harm they cause. If Blackwater can't hang with that, then they should disband.
              A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

o_O

Comment

Originally posted by Delta*RandyShugart* View Post
                  I am a supporter of them, as I am of The Police, Federal Agents and the Military. Everyone does screw up here and there, but such is life........
                  Yeah, they screw up and then are supposed to suffer consequences because of it. You don't just get to weasel your way out of any repercussions just because "everyone screws up".

Edit: Blackwater makes me somewhat ill.
                  They were free to engage targets that U.S. troops otherwise could not (because they were unarmed or some silly nonsense).
                  They were free to engage unarmed "targets", and this is a good thing? Armed men in it for the money are allowed to open fire on unarmed people who may or may not be "terrorists", and you expect there to be anything becoming a level of trust between the two peoples?
                  I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

Blackwater isn't the company involved in this case.
                    ---
                    Sources say the Dow Jones' decline is directly related to Dethklok front-man Nathan Explosion's constant deleting of potential new albums.

Comment

Originally posted by Razcsak View Post
                      Edit: Blackwater makes me somewhat ill. They were free to engage unarmed "targets", and this is a good thing? Armed men in it for the money are allowed to open fire on unarmed people who may or may not be "terrorists", and you expect there to be anything becoming a level of trust between the two peoples?
                      I threw that bit in for a bit of sarcastic flavor. It doesn't sit well with me either. My niece and I went round and round for a minute over the whole issue. She doesn't necessarily agree with what they're allowed to get away with, but in a bad situation they're the guys she wanted around.

To put it into context...our soldiers are not allowed to fire on unarmed combatants. But guess what? AQ knows that and they use it to their advantage, because the thing is they don't need to be armed to plant IED's and for that reason they're not armed when they do. A buddy of mine just got back from Iraq and had a story of a guy in their unit getting hit by one of those IED's and just after they saw a guy running away, unarmed, from the site. Now this city was supposed to be clear of non-combatants so it was real obvious that this was the guy who blew the IED and as a result killed a man. But the RoE's dictate they can't fire on him because he's unarmed.

Honestly, the whole thing is a political mess over there...from Blackwater to how our own troops are allowed to operate.
                      | | |

Comment

Originally posted by Delta*RandyShugart* View Post
                        I am a supporter of them, as I am of The Police, Federal Agents and the Military. Everyone does screw up here and there, but such is life........Even Judas realized his mistake after he betrayed Jesus.
                        I just blew up the family next door. Shucks, I just screwed up. My bad. Can I go now? Thanks, have a nice day!
                        I’m not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                        - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                        - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by Switchcraft View Post
                          Blackwater isn't the company involved in this case.
                          http://www.blackwaterusa.com/aviation/aircharter.asp

Presidential Airways is the private carrier of Blackwater. They own it. Erik Prince has commented on the case.

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php...Airways%2C_Inc.
                          In game handle: Steel Scion
                          sigpic

Comment

Thanks. That's what I get for trusting the original article.
                            ---
                            Sources say the Dow Jones' decline is directly related to Dethklok front-man Nathan Explosion's constant deleting of potential new albums.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                              I just blew up the family next door. Shucks, I just screwed up. My bad. Can I go now? Thanks, have a nice day!
                              there's my friend gringo!!

you did? man, if it was an accident i'm hope you will be able to get yourself cleared, were you arrested? do you have a defense lawyer?
                              Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                              Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                              Level I HazMat Technician
                              NYS EMT-B
                              Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                              RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                              Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                              Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                              We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...