Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Foreign born US President?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Foreign born US President?

    Ads to Back Schwarzenegger for President

    What do you guys think? Would you support an amendment to the Constitution that eliminates the requirement for a US President to be born in the United States? Is the location of your birth really relevent anymore?
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

  • #2
    Re: Foreign born US President?

    Arnold is a man of strong convictions.
    He is a great speaker.
    People love him.
    He donates a lot of time to promote health in children.
    His name is synonymous with strength.
    He was Conan.
    He is more American than most native born.

    Arnold for president in '08!

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Foreign born US President?

      Originally posted by CingularDuality
      Ads to Back Schwarzenegger for President

      What do you guys think? Would you support an amendment to the Constitution that eliminates the requirement for a US President to be born in the United States? Is the location of your birth really relevent anymore?
      The theory of a non-American-born president certainly isn't a nuts as it was back when the original document was drafted. I don't know if I'd be for it or against it right now; I can't think of compelling arguments for either side.
      [volun2]
      NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
      Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
      <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
      <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

      Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Foreign born US President?

        Originally posted by Pokerface
        The theory of a non-American-born president certainly isn't a nuts as it was back when the original document was drafted. I don't know if I'd be for it or against it right now; I can't think of compelling arguments for either side.
        Back in 2003.
        Newer.

        I can understand the arguement: why change the document unless it's needed. But I also look at this as denying someone a position because of ethnicity (or nationality as it were).

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Foreign born US President?

          I think it's a bad idea to change the Constitution in this area.

          Let's look at the worst case scenario:
          Al Queda recruited someone and planted them in the US as part of a sleeper cell thirty years ago and they'll run for Prez in 2012. Not likely, but...

          Much more plausible problem:
          Arnold is elected President and the nation of Austria becomes the center of some sort of international issue. Will the President be able to remain focused on America's needs without letting his homeland influence his decisions?

          Best case scenario:
          A naturalized citizen becomes President. He's a true patriot, bleeds red, white and blue... So what? Most of us keep saying that a politician is a politician. There's not much difference between them, so why take the infinitesimal risk that a foreign born President might be a problem?

          Exactly who are we eliminating from the Presidency by keeping foreign born citizens out of the office? How many people does this really have an effect on? And do the benefits of changing the Constitution outweigh the possible negative consequences for the United States? This law isn't intended to punish Arnold, it's intended to protect this country.
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Foreign born US President?

            Originally posted by TheFeniX
            I also look at this as denying someone a position because of ethnicity (or nationality as it were).
            Just want to point out the enormous difference between ethnicity and nationality. They're not even comparable in this context. Ethnicity has absolutely zero impact on who I might vote for, but nationality (if the Constitution were amended) would be an important part of my decision. Ethnicity shouldn't be a part of this discussion at all, as far as I'm concerned...
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Foreign born US President?

              Originally posted by TheFeniX
              Arnold is a man of strong convictions.
              He is a great speaker.
              People love him.
              He donates a lot of time to promote health in children.
              His name is synonymous with strength.
              He was Conan.
              He is more American than most native born.

              Arnold for president in '08!
              i agree with above, it would be great to see arnold be a president.

              just one thing in mind, if he was from iraq, would that make a difference?

              Does origin matter anymore?
              still does, even in US. The thought of a forigner running ur country still concerns some.

              plus if hilary clinton decides to run, she will win :).

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Foreign born US President?

                Originally posted by CingularDuality
                Ads to Back Schwarzenegger for President

                What do you guys think? Would you support an amendment to the Constitution that eliminates the requirement for a US President to be born in the United States? Is the location of your birth really relevent anymore?

                i think it is totally relevent, there is no god damn way in hell i would elect someone of another origin. there would be things he could not talk about for a start. imigration, like how much of a hypocrit would he be to stop imigrants....

                nah bad idea


                www.TeamElement.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Foreign born US President?

                  Arnold, it's intended to protect this country.
                  and thats the bottom line


                  www.TeamElement.com

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Foreign born US President?

                    The government has much more important work to do right now that rig the constitution for accomodate any particular candidate. We have plenty of homegrown talent.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Foreign born US President?

                      What if Arnold was born here 1 day after his parents moved to the states and received their citizenship?

                      Would homeland concerns still be a problem?
                      Does the nationality requirement now have to include lineage?

                      It's a free country ... we give people the oppourtunity to enjoy their own freedom, run their own businesses, practice their own religions/faiths, vote, and run for president.

                      My .02
                      sigpic
                      I run my $#@! new school style with old school roots...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Foreign born US President?

                        Obviously, we wouldn't nominate a candidate for president who didn't have at least half a chance of winning (accepting the Green party of course.)

                        Where was my train of thought?....oh yeah

                        Kidding aside, any potential candidate is going to have to pass the test of national scrutiny. MSM (mainstream media), blogs, entrenched political pundits, etc. Arnold has a good chance of winning over many folks on sheer charisma and strength of character alone. He epitomizes what it means to be American, in my eyes. I mean, forget all that Hollywood B.S....he's created himself.

                        I would support an amendment that would allow such an event to occur under very strict circumstances. Perhaps the candidate would have to be a citizen for x number of years (20-30?). Now, if the Republicans start pushing this amendment to get Arnie on the ticket in 08, then I'd have to raise an eyebrow. I mean, c'mon! An amendment to the Constitution of the United States for one man? It needs to be *seriously* considered, weighed, debated for YEARS to be credible in the eyes of your average joe. I like Arnold. Not being from California, I'm talking out of my ***...but it seems like he's doing a pretty darn good job over there so far.

                        Besides, telling the media that the Dems were "all losers" on national T.V. was classic. Nevermind your political leanings, you have to admit his humor and disregard for standard "politeness" is pretty refreshing. You know, stab 'em in the eye, not in the back.

                        Great discussion though!

                        Edit: Cingular, you asked if the criteria for having a U.S. born president is still relevant. Just to clarify: I don't think it's ABSOLUTELY relevant anymore. I think what's more relevant is the person's time in the U.S., what they've accomplished, have they held previous public office?, what's their record on the issues?, etc.
                        Last edited by houdini; 11-14-2004, 10:13 AM. Reason: Cingular wanted to know if it was relevant
                        |TG| HOUDINI






                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Foreign born US President?

                          Originally posted by Riyker
                          What if Arnold was born here 1 day after his parents moved to the states and received their citizenship?
                          Well, that would be an entirely different situation, then, wouldn't it?
                          Would homeland concerns still be a problem?
                          Does the nationality requirement now have to include lineage?
                          Umm, no. The law's pretty clear. Ya gotta be born in the US to become President. You have to draw the line somewhere, and I think it's drawn in a fine place right now...
                          It's a free country ... we give people the oppourtunity to enjoy their own freedom, run their own businesses, practice their own religions/faiths, vote, and run for president.

                          My .02
                          LOL!
                          Become a supporting member!
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!
                          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Foreign born US President?

                            Originally posted by CingularDuality
                            Arnold is elected President and the nation of Austria becomes the center of some sort of international issue. Will the President be able to remain focused on America's needs without letting his homeland influence his decisions?
                            A catholic is elected to the presidency, will he be able to focus on America's need without letting the Pope influence his decisions?

                            I think JFK put that one to bed. Arnold isn't an Austrian anymore. He's an American.

                            What makes a person like Arnold qualify for governing a state, but not the country? Put the naturalization clause aside and let's list what real drawbacks it would have.

                            As for terrorists putting a mole in the white-house.... um. I can't even begin to see the arguement behind that. If there were able to invest 45 years into this plan, I'm sure they'd find a way around the clause anyways. Isn't Hollywood making a movie based on that whole deal anyways?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Foreign born US President?

                              Originally posted by TheFeniX
                              A catholic is elected to the presidency, will he be able to focus on America's need without letting the Pope influence his decisions?

                              I think JFK put that one to bed. Arnold isn't an Austrian anymore. He's an American.

                              What makes a person like Arnold qualify for governing a state, but not the country? Put the naturalization clause aside and let's list what real drawbacks it would have.

                              As for terrorists putting a mole in the white-house.... um. I can't even begin to see the arguement behind that. If there were able to invest 45 years into this plan, I'm sure they'd find a way around the clause anyways. Isn't Hollywood making a movie based on that whole deal anyways?

                              yeah manchurian candidate, with denzel.

                              arnold is austrian he always will be. he is austrian 1st, american 2nd. He was born and raised in austria.

                              Comment

                              Connect

                              Collapse

                              TeamSpeak 3 Server

                              Collapse

                              Advertisement

                              Collapse

                              Twitter Feed

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X