Travel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel

Just chatting at work with a few people after a pub visit and one of the American guys here reckoned that around 75% of US residents hadn't ever left the country. He did say he'd pulled the figure outta the air,l but I'm interested as to whether anyone could back that up?

I'd always assumed this community was fairly well travelled, especially the forces sgment, but to further it, how about we add places we've been or if you haven't travelled, and also any recommendations.

As usual with my threads this could go 2 ways, a degeneration into socio-economic groups and political rubbish, or no responses.....I can hardly wait ;)

So to start, I've been to;

US - New York, Chicago, Philadelphia
    Europe - France, Spain, Italy, Denmark, Germany, Wales and Scotland obviously
    Asia - China, Hong Kong, Macau, Bali, Thailand, Singapore

I'd like to go to Aus, but can't stomach the flight, and if I was recommending, I'd say that so far, Chicago is the best city in the world apart from maybe London, but that's home so doesn't count. (yep, I'm bored at work)
    Last edited by Benny_; 11-17-2004, 02:53 PM.

Re: Travel

Hmmmm...

I've been to Europe a few times - twice when I was a wee child some 30ish yrs ago (and therefore too young to even comprehend the trip, which included Germany, Switzerland, Italy, and the French Riviera), and then Germany again in '89. I've also been to Bermuda (again as a child), and Canada (Toronto, Montreal, Quebec) a few times.

Sadly, and possibly straying off topic, I haven't got the finances to see the world. I'd love to go back to Germany (my heritage is all German), as well as the rest of Europe. My big dream is New Zealand, though. I'm curious about moving there, in fact, and so a visit would probably be smart. ;)

Comment

Off-topic remark: When my sister went to France for a college art trip in 2002, she was told to say that she was Canadian.

I have absolutely no interest in travelling anywhere else in the world. With my thick Texan accent and bad attitude: no one would want me there and I wouldn't want to be there.

Comment

Well, I have been all over the US so I won't bother mentioning those..

Out of the US, I've been to:
        Canada
        Bahamas
        Dominican Republic
        Brazil
        Costa Rica
        Peru
        England
        France
        Amsterdam

And I feel that I'm just getting started -- I only got my passport 2 years ago.. Next year I'm going to Italy. I would also like to go to Chile, Argentina, Eastern Europe, and SE Asia. A return to Brazil is on my list.

For anyone living in the US, South and Central America offers great vacation values. It's easy to get to, and the Dollar goes a long way. Right now Europe is so expensive (not to mention pretentious).

The figures I've read say between 80-90% of Americans do not own a passport. Quite scary actually.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

awww....Peru and Brazil are definitely on my list, but I'm a family man now so doubtful I'll get the chance for a long time. I know what you mean about the dollar being weak here though..
          Some of the US guys working here are paid US....poor suckers.

Comment

Good topic. I'd say your friend was a bit conservative. I'd guess that more than 75% of us have never left the US. When I was working at WalMart for a few months, I once asked all the employees in the breakroom if they had ever been outside of Texas. Out of the thirty or so people in that room, only one said they had, and that was a manager from North Carolina who was training in our store.

Me? I've practically lived in a border town in Mexico after I got my driver's license. Tijuana let me live like the dog that I was. I ventured down to San Felipe quite a few times, but most of the time didn't go further than Ensenada.
            I also lived in Japan for over a year. That was interesting. I learned a lot about Japanese culture and American culture while I was there. The most surprising thing to me was how racist most Japanese are... The second most surprising thing was how on the island of Okinawa, they're unable to grow watermelons larger than a grapefruit, while at the same time, regularly growing sweet juicy apples that are bigger than a grapefruit. Weird fruit genetics going on there...

At any rate, I've never been able to afford travel either. Things are changing. I've been eyeing a vacation to Central America for the last few years. Once I get my next raise, buy a house and a car, we're saving for a vacation to Belize. Why Belize? Well, two reasons: they speak English, and I've never deported someone from there... :icon16: Costa Rica is looking good, too. I'd love to go further south and see Peru, Brazil, Argentina and Ecuador, as well.

Trust me, it's not 'cause I don't want to travel. It's because I just can't afford it.

How much vacation time do you get with your job, Benny? Over here, if a job gives two weeks a year, it's pretty good.
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
              on the island of Okinawa, they're unable to grow watermelons larger than a grapefruit, while at the same time, regularly growing sweet juicy apples that are bigger than a grapefruit. Weird fruit genetics going on there...
              It's the radiation! Haven't you seen ANY godzilla movies?

How much vacation time do you get with your job, Benny? Over here, if a job gives two weeks a year, it's pretty good.
              Excellent point. Europe takes longer breaks than we in the US, and the geography is a factor: maybe many Europeans have travelled to other countries, but I bet far fewer have travelled outside Europe. Many in the USA have travelled to other states (Texan Wal*Mart employees notwithstanding).

I've been to Scotland, England, and the Bahamas if anyone's keeping score. In the USA I've been to every state on the east coast, AK, AL, AZ, CA, CO, KY, LA, MS, TN, TX, and WV. I think that's it.

Comment

It's pretty normal to get 20 days a year. 25 is a general rule if you don't have a crappy employer.

One of the things that came up is the size and location of the US, over here we can be in Spain in a couple of hours, it's all relative, but I know you guys can't get any where except South or Canada without putting some hours in.

Japan is another one of those places I'd love to see, I hear it's expensive and I had heard the racism thing, but for some strnge reason I wanna stay in one of those pod hotels. I even bought a Japanese language tape. I got as far as takeshi or something that sounded like that for taxi.

Each to there own I suppose, but I can't imagine wanting to live and ide without at least experiencing some different places. Fenix, the accent isn't a problem, the last two employers I've been with have sent over Texans, they enjoyed it as much as the next man, and as for the bad attitude, I can't help you with that, but I pity the fool, I ain't gettin' on no plane ;)

Leejo, the geography thing, it would be interesting to see the stats on travelling outside Europe, I know that New York is popular for the obvious folklore and shopping that goes with it, and holidays to the Caribbean and Asia certainly aren't rare.

Comment

never left the south...... never want to......
                  Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                  The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

I have gone to Canada and will be visiting the Philippines in the near future.

US, I have hit quite a few states so I won't bother mentioning which ones.

Besides, in the US, each state is almost like a different nation with differences in the dialects, laws, etc. Yes, the United States is one nation but one nation composed of 50 different and unique states. The culture in New York is significant different than the culture you find in New Mexico and Texas...just to name a few.

Comment

i have been scotland, wales, Ireland, Holland, France, Germany, and i would love to go to amsterdam, just to walk into a cafe and order a big fat spliff legally....lol

oh and ofcourse to go down the red light district...lol

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfie
                        I have gone to Canada and will be visiting the Philippines in the near future.

US, I have hit quite a few states so I won't bother mentioning which ones.

Besides, in the US, each state is almost like a different nation with differences in the dialects, laws, etc. Yes, the United States is one nation but one nation composed of 50 different and unique states. The culture in New York is significant different than the culture you find in New Mexico and Texas...just to name a few.

believe it or not, if you go to ENgland, vist london, then newcastle.

i myself cannot understand what people from newcastle are saying most of the time, and visa versa... and they are sooo different... its the same across the north south divide in ENgland....

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

I would definitely like to spend some more time in Europe. I'd really like to explore Ireland with my Dad. He's such a proud mick but he's never been there ;) In fact I'd like to take a month and see Ireland, Scotland and England. That's probably not going to happen until my Son is older though.

Thanks to Uncle Sam I have been to France, Austria and Italy (several times) and from one corner of the States to the other. I also spent a few years crossing the Canadian border from Washington for a nice little Vancouverette (Delta actually). Most of my foreign time has been spent in Mexico where I lived for a short while. My wife and I visit her family in Guadalajara frequently. We may just end up retiring there or at least a second home to escape to.
                          New to TG?

Comment

Originally posted by USN_Squid
                            My wife and I visit her family in Guadalajara frequently. We may just end up retiring there or at least a second home to escape to.
                            Hey, I heard that Mexico recently changed their laws so that you no longer have to be a Mexican citizen to own land there. Do you know anything about this?

I've always dreamed about retiring on a ranch in Montana, but a nice pueblo for the winter wouldn't be bad...
                            Become a supporting member!
                            Buy a Tactical Duck!
                            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Hey, I heard that Mexico recently changed their laws so that you no longer have to be a Mexican citizen to own land there. Do you know anything about this?

I've always dreamed about retiring on a ranch in Montana, but a nice pueblo for the winter wouldn't be bad...
                              As far as I know you can own land outright in the interior of Mexico. If you are within 100km of a border, or 50km of a coast you must purchase the home through a bank trust. If you do a google for "fideicomiso" there are plenty of sites to help. Financing is a bit screwy down there though. You normally have to put at least 30% down and the rates are higher than here. There are some American mortgage companies getting hip to the idea though, so maybe that will change in 30 years when we reitre.
                              New to TG?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X