ZOMG! We're running out of metal!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZOMG! We're running out of metal!

While most worry about the high price of gas, consider that high tech is chewing up a lot of metals in short supply, such as gallium, indium, zinc, and even copper. Expect their prices to skyrocket.

http://news.slashdot.org/article.pl?.../07/01/2331207
    http://www.asimovs.com/_issue_0806/ref.shtml
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: ZOMG! We're running out of metal!

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
    While most worry about the high price of gas, consider that high tech is chewing up a lot of metals in short supply, such as gallium, indium, zinc, and even copper. Expect their prices to skyrocket.

http://news.slashdot.org/article.pl?.../07/01/2331207
    http://www.asimovs.com/_issue_0806/ref.shtml

We've been dealing with outrageous prices for metals for a few years now. Steel, Aluminum, Copper, Tin, Nickel, All are soaring to outrageous prices - all for the construction industry.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by P8riot View Post
      We've been dealing with outrageous prices for metals for a few years now. Steel, Aluminum, Copper, Tin, Nickel, All are soaring to outrageous prices - all for the construction industry.
      Building material related metal prices are soaring because of increased demand in China... they're having their industrial revolution and developing infrastructure comparable to the US... its gonna take alot of metal!
      |TG|Switch

Better known as:
      That noob who crashed the chopper.
      That noob who ran over the mine.
      That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
      That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
        And don't forget to mention how quickly we're consuming our supply of Miley.

bkelly

Comment

Originally posted by bkelly View Post
          And don't forget to mention how quickly we're consuming our supply of Miley.

bkelly
          That was the funniest thing I've seen in a while. Thanks for that. And please pray for those poor victims of the earthquake in Etchisketchistan.

"Cum bellum clamavit, nos respondivi..."

"I've given everything I can... There are no heroes left in man..."

Comment

Originally posted by Switch View Post
            Building material related metal prices are soaring because of increased demand in China... they're having their industrial revolution and developing infrastructure comparable to the US... its gonna take alot of metal!
            Yep.

Although China demand has been slacking off as they increase their own production, other companies are ramping up on their demand for the materials.
            sigpic

Comment

On a related note.
              The largest reserve of the metal used to create the Smart in Smart Bombs is somewhere in the 90% range of being in China.
              Also, the company that was in the US that made that part for U.S. military purposes was recently in the process of being moved to China.

Link:http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=34037

Comment

If there's a way between the US and China, smart bombs won't be needed.
                A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

There's plenty of Cu, Al Ti and other of our most commonly-used metallic elements, our production is just falling behind demand. As I understand it, the real trouble is with the hi-tech metals used for high temp, high vibration, high-tensile stuff (bombs, missiles, spacecraft) and electronics/thin film applications that are just not very common in the crust, like Niobium, Cobalt, Ytterbium and that one used in all cellphones... extraction/refining is one thing, but availability in the planet's crust is another.
                  sigpic

Living proof that "Teamplay ensmartens the idiotest of us!"

"

| | | | |

Comment

Originally posted by LordKelvin View Post
                    That was the funniest thing I've seen in a while. Thanks for that. And please pray for those poor victims of the earthquake in Etchisketchistan.
                    Right now our 'president' is looking at a map trying to find Etchisketchistan.
                    sigpic

Comment

You forgot about tungsten (ingredient in light bulb filamnets) is in limited supply.
                      |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Tungsten is also used in nine out of ten science fiction weapons invovling shooting very small things at very high velocities. We need to secure tungsten reserves. Think of our children. Think of the future. Won't you be sad if your children half to fight the cilbraxi bug men with iron kinetic harpoons instead of premium tungsten?

Comment

Why don't futures traders drive up the price of these metals the way they're driving up the price of oil? Surely if we're running out, the price will skyrocket and betting on that should make someone a bunch of money.
                          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Guess I'll have to cancel my Gallium burning party.
                            Anger is a gift - Malcolm X

Comment

Copper thieves hit our Bradenton office last night and stole 3 of our 5 compressor coils -

sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X