Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woman evicted and ticketed for McCain=Bush Sign

-- carried over from the cop loving thread --

A woman was removed from outside a McCain town hall meeting because she refused to remove a sign that read McCain=Bush. The McCain representative claims that secret service requested her removal. The service deny it.

In any case, she was removed and given a ticket for trespassing and then told that she'd be arrested if she returned.

Assuming this was indeed a public event, I don't see how anyone could tell her to leave unless she was actually disturbing the peace. She was not inside the meeting, rather she was outside waiting to get in.

Worse yet, her sign said nothing inherantly offensive. McCain=Bush. The only reason to be offended is if you think being equated to either of those men is bad. Apparently the republicans don't want one of their candidates associated with one of their presidents -- its so offensive that people with signs should be removed.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lyaMrS0hzk&eurl[/media]

The woman, Carol Kreck, writes about the incident here.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/carol-..._b_112285.html
    |TG|Switch

Better known as:
    That noob who crashed the chopper.
    That noob who ran over the mine.
    That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
    That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Re: Woman evicted and ticketed for McCain=Bush Sign

Wow that is absurd! I wonder how many of her rights they violated / laws they broke! (Im not a lawyer or a LEO so I really have no idea!)

Comment

Originally posted by Switch View Post
      Assuming this was indeed a public event, I don't see how anyone could tell her to leave unless she was actually disturbing the peace. She was not inside the meeting, rather she was outside waiting to get in.
      Switch, this happened at the Denver Performing Arts Complex, a taxpayer funded complex of seven or eight theaters, one I have been to many times. Ms. Kreck is standing in the central square of this complex which is really a bit of a choke point. A federal judge has previously ruled that protests can be curtailed there and because of foot traffic, I can understand why.

Regardless, attempting to hide/remove/discredit people and images that run counter to your message sounds much like something our current administration would do making Ms. Kreck's sign that much more poignant.

bkelly

Comment

BTW.. What does this post mean?? Is she a common "Trouble Maker?" or have a notorius past in the Denver area??

(BELOW FROM THE DENVER POST ARTICLE RESPONSES)

I have watched the videos, listened to the audios, heard all the parties involved speak in other venues,, and I mean all, and this was nothing more than a staged event on the part of Ms Kreck and her attorney for the sole purpose and pursuit of the almighty dollar. I am sad to see her former employer continue to resurface this so that she can carry on her pursuit of this financial endeavor with another front-page run for what I believe will be thrown out as what it is. I can only hope there will be a strong and harsh countersuit with the appropriate punishment that I think is well-merited. Before anyone uses the defense that she is deaf, I have a deaf parent who has been deaf since long before Ms Kreck was even born. Deaf affects hearing, not vision and seeing boundaries and comprehension, and she speaks just a little too well to use the former excuse. Not to mention having the lawyer that she had in her hip pocket instantly.
        |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
        ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

(BTW..I just discovered this thread..so I just realized I am really late to the party... Sorry..)
          |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
          ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Originally posted by peardog View Post
            BTW.. What does this post mean?? Is she a common "Trouble Maker?" or have a notorius past in the Denver area??
            I know nothing of her.

I think the poster, S B, is either an idiot or a troll since Ms. Kreck is obviously not deaf as you can see in Switch's video.

bkelly

Comment

Wow this is worse than when President Clinton had 2 Chicago people arrested by the Secret Service for protesting at a function he was attending. Oh the humanity !!

Guess it makes no difference which side of the fence you sit on somebody gets a little power and they think they can do what they want.

Comment

Off to the Gulag!

Comment

The US does give freedom of speech, however you still cannot yell 'FIRE' in a movie theater because of the risk to public safety should a panic arise.

As for trespassing, just because it is public land does not give you right to be there. Public schools are on public land but if you are there on the grounds after hours, (or perhaps are not a student of said school) you can be arrested and sited for trespassing.

The trick is was she asked first to leave and refused, or was she forced out without warning? (It looks to me she was offered many chances and refused them all) Does the site have rules in place regarding protesting or demonstrating? Do they have rules regarding signs in general? (The site may not but the people who where using the site did have such policies in place) A lot of sporting complexes have rules in place that prohibit signs as they obstruct the view of others and can pose other hazards as well.

In the end I agree, this seems a little staged to me...

~ Draken

PS What was up with the guy in the green bean costume? Two peas in the same pod? That's a nice message but really you look like a fool!

EDIT: I just watched the MSNBC news reel for all of this... WOW and I thought that FOX news was biased...

Look don't get me wrong I support anyone who tries to speak their voice on any topic in a non violent way such as Mrs. Kreck. She is in many ways what we need more of here in the US, people who are willing to take a stand versus just 'go with the flow.'

What ticks me off is the mentality of "this is America I can do whatever I want!" No, no you can't, you have rights but your rights do NOT outweigh the rights of others, nor do their rights outweigh yours. In short people need to be willing to compromise. Mrs. Kreck was offered a fair compromise and refused. Now what happens? People instantly jump to the lawyers to sue the pants off whoever then can just to 'prove a point.'

And what point would that be?

~ Draken
                  Last edited by DrakenViator; 07-12-2008, 09:01 PM.

Comment

I saw this article on the subject. For balance, note the Obama campaign has had police remove protesters from outside campaign events as well.

ProgressNow organized the protest and shot the video. She was not the only person participating in the event...my favorite was the man dressed as a giant pea pod.

Originally posted by Post
                    "Kreck's citation came the same day Englewood's police chief convinced the City Council to pass an anti-picketing ordinance meant to control protesters in August. A note written by the city's attorney's office inexplicably says the language of the measure was 'recommended by the DNC' " (Democratic National Committee.)
                    ---
                    Sources say the Dow Jones' decline is directly related to Dethklok front-man Nathan Explosion's constant deleting of potential new albums.

Comment

Good cross coverage... not much back story on this yet.
                      |TG|Switch

Better known as:
                      That noob who crashed the chopper.
                      That noob who ran over the mine.
                      That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
                      That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

So it was staged... Go figure.

~ Draken

Comment

Originally posted by Switch View Post
                          -- carried over from the cop loving thread --

A woman was removed from outside a McCain town hall meeting because she refused to remove a sign that read McCain=Bush. The McCain representative claims that secret service requested her removal. The service deny it.

In any case, she was removed and given a ticket for trespassing and then told that she'd be arrested if she returned.

Worse yet, her sign said nothing inherantly offensive. McCain=Bush. The only reason to be offended is if you think being equated to either of those men is bad. Apparently the republicans don't want one of their candidates associated with one of their presidents -- its so offensive that people with signs should be removed.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lyaMrS0hzk&eurl[/media]

The woman, Carol Kreck, writes about the incident here.
                          http://www.huffingtonpost.com/carol-..._b_112285.html
                          oh well, look what happened to the kid who talked down to kerry.

I bet you that there will be people getting arrested at the Democratic national convention.....and most likely at the republican national convention for protesting/showing signs....its life, they pay a ticket, and they should know better.
                          Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                          Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                          Level I HazMat Technician
                          NYS EMT-B
                          Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                          RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                          Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                          Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                          We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Yeah there will be protests, so long as they are peaceful, and don't try to mess with anything or cause any disruptions, I say let them protest all they want.

~ Draken

Comment

The protest will probably end bad in some way, it always do!
                              Look under your chair!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X