Pentagon had ongoing propaganda operation for past 8 years

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pentagon had ongoing propaganda operation for past 8 years

I'm surprised no one here has mentioned this yet. Basically, for the past 8 years the pentagon has had 75 retired military officers installed in the major media outlets to essentially provide pro-government viewpoints and information. The link says it all really:
    hXXp: // counterpunch. org/stauber05072008.html

heres a link to the FOIA documents if anyone wants to jump into the nitty gritty:
    hXXp:// www .dod. mil/pubs/foi/milanalysts/

May 7, 2008
    But Will the Media Ever Report on Them?
    Pentagon Propaganda Documents Go Online

By JOHN STAUBER

Eight thousand pages of documents related to the Pentagon's illegal propaganda campaign, known as the Pentagon military analyst program, are now online for the world to see, although in a format that makes it impossible to easily search them and therefore difficult to read and dissect. This trove includes the documents pried out of the Pentagon by David Barstow and used as the basis for his stunning investigation that appeared in the New York Times on April 20, 2008.

The Pentagon program, which clearly violated US law against covert government propaganda, embedded more than 75 retired military officers -- most of them with financial ties to war contractors -- into the TV networks as "message surrogates" for the Bush Administration. To date, every major commercial TV network has failed to report this story, covering up their complicity and keeping the existence of this scandal from their audiences.

News of the Pentagon's online posting of the documents came from Joe Trento of the National Security News Service, who notes that NSNS provided the New York Times "limited information about a military office early in the reporting process."

Here is the official Pentagon website with the 8,000 pages of documents, the most interesting and revealing of them previously secret and only available to the Pentagon and the New York Times:

hXXp:// www .dod. mil/pubs/foi/milanalysts/

More than two weeks after the New York Times reported on the Penatgon's military analyst program to sell controversial policies such as the invasion of Iraq, the broadcast television news outlets implicated in the program are hoping to tough out the scandal by refusing to report it. Recently Media Matters of America (MMA) reported that, according to a search of the Nexis database, "the three major broadcast networks -- ABC, CBS, and NBC -- have still not mentioned the report at all."

The Pew Excellence in Journalism project has a chart showing that " there was virtually no mainstream media follow up to The Times’ expose" with the only national TV coverage being the introduction segment and a live debate (featuring me) on the PBS NewsHour.

Congresswoman Rosa L. DeLauro and three dozen colleagues have sent a letter to the Department of Defense Inspector General calling for an investigation of this "propaganda campaign aimed at deliberately misleading the American public."
    What do you all think of this? I guess it puts one in the mouth of those who still think that the media is "fair and balanced." /puke

btw, the links are a little messed up deliberately because I can't post urls yet, remove the spaces and XX

Re: Pentagon had ongoing propaganda operation for past 8 years

If it is/were true, they failed miserably!!
    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

whoa, wait a minute here...........the military partakes in military psycOps? No way!!!!!!

I only thought that happened in the movies.
      Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
      Level II Volunteer FireFighter
      Level I HazMat Technician
      NYS EMT-B
      Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
      RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
      Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
      Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
      We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Originally posted by Delta*RandyShugart* View Post
        whoa, wait a minute here...........the military partakes in military psycOps? No way!!!!!!

I only thought that happened in the movies.
        Well the point here isn't that they engage in psyops (which is obvious to anyone willing to do a bit of research), but that this is particular evidence of a specific psyop.

Also, thank you pancho.

Comment

I think the problem is more that they're supposed to engage in psychops on the other guy, and be a bit more transparent when they're doing it to their own people.

Comment

This says more about the state of our media industry than it does about our military.
            In game handle: Steel Scion
            sigpic

Comment

The US Military has done this ever since World War 2....

Correct?
              Skud

Comment

They need something to counter the liberal biased dishonest media... and IMO they failed because the media has reported every true and false story from Iraq that is bad and almost none of the good.
                Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheSkudDestroyer View Post
                  The US Military has done this ever since World War 2....

Correct?
                  Precisely.
                  "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler View Post
                    This says more about the state of our media industry than it does about our military.
                    Exactly. Lazy reporters would rather put their feet up and copy what their "sources" give them than go out and dig up the real scoop. Besides, pissing off the government dries up the easy sources, for your entire news corporation, so you'll get pounded by your own boss if you're too inquisitive.
                    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

MSNBC does an alright job of staying balanced, IMO Fox News and CNN are practiclly run by the government, and the US military has been doing this since the start of WW2 not just after it or anything if I'm correct.
                      "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
                      'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

and why is this a problem?

What effect does it have on you angrysniper?? Kind of an ironic forum name for a topic like this.
                        Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                        Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                        Level I HazMat Technician
                        NYS EMT-B
                        Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                        RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                        Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                        Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                        We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Originally posted by Fenian420 View Post
                          MSNBC does an alright job of staying balanced, IMO Fox News and CNN are practiclly run by the government, and the US military has been doing this since the start of WW2 not just after it or anything if I'm correct.
                          I tend to agree with their viewpoints more but I would say that MSNBC is pretty much the Left's version of Fox News. To me, their actual news coverage aren't quite as blatantly biased but their commentators certainly are. CNN is just plain crap but again, not nearly as conservative as Fox. I haven't found a domestic television news service that I find to be even remotely watchable.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Delta*RandyShugart* View Post
                            and why is this a problem?

What effect does it have on you angrysniper?? Kind of an ironic forum name for a topic like this.
                            Well, it is a problem because the main outlets of information that most people go to only provide information that is beneficial to the government. If I want to obtain information about current events in the world that may be harmful to or expose actions that our government (or the military and intelligence agencies on behalf of the government) has taken which are illegal, I wouldn't be able to find them if I only obtained information from these sources. Its a problem because it only allows the public to obtain information that is beneficial to the goals of our government...

I'm kind of worried that someone would ask "why is that a problem?"

I don't see what is ironic about the name of the thread.. unless you're referring to the name of my account.. in which case, I would like to point out that this is a gaming forum. (lol)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X