Question for LEO's out there

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for LEO's out there

I posted this in another thread but I have the feeling that TG's LEO's may have abandoned paying attention to the thread.. so I'll try a new thread.

OK LEOs.. inquiry.. curiosity.

In your cruiser.. what do you do? I mean on a boring day.. just cruising in traffic.

What screen do you have up on your computer? Do you actively but randomly just run tags to see what comes up? If it's a slow night or day do you just look for a place to hang out and do paperwork or do something else?

What tips you off that something just isn't right with a driver on the road? I am sure there is some pretty obvious stuff - but when nothing is obvious - what do you see? What do you 'feel'? Is it a gut thing?

I mean we see all kinds of stuff on COPS and stuff.. but what is a slow day like? How are rookies different from veterans on their patrols?

Any comments?
    sigpic

Re: Question for LEO's out there

LOL For a second I was thinking that you were looking for the Astrology sign Leos...

Figured you were asking astrological love advice...HA HA! I am neither a Leo or a Leo.....LOL! So no help here....

Play MySpace games? PeepsDepot.com to get all the Peeps you need for any game!

Wii# 5935-7920-5346-8754 | PS3:TheeShadyB | XBOX 360:TheeShadyB

Comment

I'm Aquarious.

Actually, I've got a more specialized (read: boring) LE job, that includes almost zero down time, so can't answer this question from personal experience.

I'll tell you that cops don't have as much downtime as you might think. Even when they stop at a convenience store to get a cup of coffee or sit down in a restaurant to eat, they're working. Community relations never stops for them.
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
        Even when they stop at a convenience store to get a cup of coffee or sit down in a restaurant to eat, they're working. Community relations never stops for them.
        Sounds like marketing, the nemesis of Dilberts everywhere. ;)
        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I switched from a plainclothes position to a uniformed position a year and a half ago, and it sucks. Sure, I get free coffee... Sounds cool, right? Wrong. I would pay double for my coffee if it would get people at 7-Eleven to stop telling me about this house that they think has drug dealers living in it, or that they saw some kid stealing candy yesterday, or that they know where illegal aliens are hanging out all the time waiting for work, or that they know the owners of a restaurant where a murder took place last month are up to no good, or.... I could go on and on. It's not fun having to answer the same questions over and over. I'm not talking about cool questions like a kid asking to see your badge, or some dude asking you what kind of gun you carry, or some chick asking you when you get off work. I'm talking about adults that just don't think before they ask you or tell you something.
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

So I assume that means your department already has a raid planned for the crackheads, a rock-breaking juvi job for the thief, and a C-130 ready to air-drop deport the illegals over Tapachula? Awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by MagnaCentipede View Post
              So I assume that means your department already has a raid planned for the crackheads, a rock-breaking juvi job for the thief, and a C-130 ready to air-drop deport the illegals over Tapachula? Awesome.
              It means my agency has already prioritized and allocated available resources.

And cops are people too. Just because you see a cop at a store buying a Java Monster energy drink, doesn't mean he hasn't already been working for 14 hours... Despite what our management might want, we simply can't work 24 hours a day... We have to have time to go home, eat, sleep, occasionally see our family and, y'know, shave, shower and sh-, uh, take care of other necessities.
              Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Cingy what do you do on those days where the job gets to you? (i.e. - getting pissed off, etc.)
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I just thought of something, what happens when you have to go to the bathroom?

Comment

So where did the department put those resources that are unavailable for common crime?

What makes the information offered by locals bad?
                    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                      Cingy what do you do on those days where the job gets to you? (i.e. - getting pissed off, etc.)
                      I do what you do. Count to ten, take a deep breath, walk away, etc... For more serious stuff, my agency has an employee counseling hotline that is anonymous and free.
                      Originally posted by mentholated View Post
                      I just thought of something, what happens when you have to go to the bathroom?
                      Gee, what do YOU do when you have to go to the bathroom?
                      Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                      So where did the department put those resources that are unavailable for common crime?
                      Other common crime. Duh?
                      What makes the information offered by locals bad?
                      Nothing, but we have this expensive system set up for reporting stuff. Telling me when I've stopped on my way home is not the smartest way to handle something.
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

"Gee, what do YOU do when you have to go to the bathroom?"
                        Announce it with a bullhorn so anyone in the shower knows that they have about ten pages before I flush.

"Other common crime."
                        I'm hoping that means things where people are threatened like domestic violence and not things like didn't-see-the-new-no-U-turn-sign at an empty intersection.

"we have this expensive system set up for reporting stuff."
                        Does anyone know about it? A bunch of postcards addressed to Resident would be enough to get the ball rolling, I would expect.

Comment

Does anyone know about it? A bunch of postcards addressed to Resident would be enough to get the ball rolling, I would expect.
                          Blah. Yeah, right. People are lazy as hell.

Comment

"Gee, what do YOU do when you have to go to the bathroom?"
                            Announce it with a bullhorn so anyone in the shower knows that they have about ten pages before I flush.
                            That's very considerate of you!

"Other common crime."
                            I'm hoping that means things where people are threatened like domestic violence and not things like didn't-see-the-new-no-U-turn-sign at an empty intersection.
                            Believe it or not, police departments assign different officers to different tasks, based on the needs of the community. Some places have entire police departments dedicated to traffic control!

"we have this expensive system set up for reporting stuff."
                            Why couldn't the Al Queda member get the police to respond? He couldn't find the 'eleven' button on the telephone!
                            Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                              Nothing, but we have this expensive system set up for reporting stuff. Telling me when I've stopped on my way home is not the smartest way to handle something.
                              I follow ya there.. it's really pointless when they 'bother' a LEO like that.. Do they think you are going to hop in you cruiser and drive over to 'that crack house' and make a bust?

We have numerous officers living where I live and it borders a local park that has a crack problem in the Winters - If I see I LEO here do I bug them about the park? NO.. I call non-emergency and report suspicious activity when appropriate - they send one or two cruisers out if they are available.. no big deal and it gets done.

I usually do make a point of having my son say hi to LEO's and Ff's when we see them waiting for lunch or in a convenience store or whatever.. they are usually pretty talkative with the kids..

Anyway - thanks for chiming in Cing.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...