UN hard at work...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UN hard at work...

...showing their respects for the remains of Hizballah terrorists on a truck decorated with a photograph of Imad Mughniyeh, mastermind of the Marine barracks bombing that killed hundreds of US citizens.

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/slides...de0eefdc89ae5/

And doing very little to prevent a likely new round of violence in Lebanon

"Behind the change is the mandate given to UNIFIL by the United Nations after the war in 2006. According to the mandate, the peacekeeping force can patrol freely throughout southern Lebanon but cannot enter villages or cities without being accompanied by soldiers from the Lebanese Armed Forces, which regularly tips off Hizbullah ahead of the raids.

News of the change in Hizbullah strategy came as Israel is trying to persuade the UN to strengthen UNIFIL’s mandate to give it the right to patrol the villages freely. “Hizbullah is moving into every town that it can,” a senior defense official told the Post. “This is in order to evade UNIFIL detection.”
    Last edited by USN_Squid; 07-18-2008, 01:02 PM.
    New to TG?

Re: UN hard at work...

Gosh, I wish we would get out of the freaking UN. What a corrupt group of thugs. I guess FDR's title of worst POTUS ever was a legacy Truman tried to continue by making the bloody UN.
    Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

I like John McCain's idea. Let the UN wither and die as we create a new more serious ogranization. That way you don't have to upset everyone by leaving the UN, we just pursue serious diplomacy through a more organized union of democractic states.
      New to TG?

Comment

I've brought this up before. Everyone complains about the UN's impotency. I believe that a certain amount of corruption within the UN is inevitable (show me a government structure without corruption and I'll buy you ice cream). However, I strongly believe that the UN is actually made impotent by countries deciding to do whatever they want regardless of the UN's decision- and the US is certainly not innocent here.

In order for there to be any type of world-governing structure or authority, the participating countries have to be willing to give up some of their autonomy and abide by that world authority. Honestly, our world ain't ready for that. Doesn't matter if it's the UN or some new thing cooked up by McCain or whoever; as long as you have countries that will ignore rulings that are contrary to their own desires, the whole thing is doomed to fail.

The only real way to get a truly authoritative world ruling body at this point in time is via conquest, which is also just as unlikely.
        [squadl]
        "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

My real question I wish I could ask the head of the UN is:
          "Why didn't the UN Intervene with force in Rwanda, to help prevent the genocide which then occurred." Now, this will probably lead to "why didn't the US help prevent this" but it doesn't matter what the U.S. did or didn't do, the rwandan genocide could have been prevented if the U.N. had some brass balls and decided to do something rather than send food which in a lot cases never gets to the people due to corruption and logistics once it arrives where it is intended.

A sarcastic question that would most likely get me tased repeatedly would be:
          "Why are they called peace-keepers, if they carry guns?" - Note this is just a sarcastic comment it does not pertain to the above question and statement.at the top.
          Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
          Level II Volunteer FireFighter
          Level I HazMat Technician
          NYS EMT-B
          Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
          RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
          Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
          Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
          We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Try and empathize with the U.N. troops in that photo. I'm not certain what nationality they are, but having met Dutch troops stationed at the border there in the early 90's I can be pretty sure that they are not thrilled about being there. They are not there to fight Hezbollah. If it makes their job easier to show signs of respect like this, so be it.

Don't for a minute think that U.N. troops represent the U.S. and its interests - they don't, and they shouldn't.

Originally posted by USN_Squid
            I like John McCain's idea. Let the UN wither and die as we create a new more serious ogranization. That way you don't have to upset everyone by leaving the UN, we just pursue serious diplomacy through a more organized union of democractic states.
            Regardless of whether this is McCain's idea or not, it's a foolish one. 'We' are going to create a new, more serious organization? Doesn't that pretty much doom any chance of being 'united' from the start? Or would it be more along the lines of 'united with the countries we choose to be unified with.' The organization you end up with is one that persues its own interests, often against the wishes of others. If you like war, this is an excellent way to promote it. Fortunately the U.N. was designed with this exact concept in mind - to eliminate war through neutral diplomacy or force. I doubt anyone would claim it's a runaway success, but anyone who argues a return to power circles is philosophically flawed and selfishly bent on war. Furthermore, to insist that the U.N. isn't following American interests enough is far from a problem - it's actually a sign that the U.N. is working. No one country - or clique of countries - has the right to define the global agenda.

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely View Post
              Try and empathize with the U.N. troops in that photo. I'm not certain what nationality they are, but having met Dutch troops stationed at the border there in the early 90's I can be pretty sure that they are not thrilled about being there. They are not there to fight Hezbollah. If it makes their job easier to show signs of respect like this, so be it.

Don't for a minute think that U.N. troops represent the U.S. and its interests - they don't, and they shouldn't.
              Wow. That man killed hundreds of Americans...but if it makes their job easier?
              New to TG?

Comment

Originally posted by USN_Squid View Post
                Wow. That man killed hundreds of Americans...but if it makes their job easier?
                Looking at the situation from a more neutral standpoint, Americans had killed Lebanese in that war, supposedly in defense of Maronite Christians. Everyone has blood on their hands, everyone is simultaneously a villian and a hero. Would you be as frustrated if the same U.N. troops saluted an Israeli procession? An American one? My point is that the cycle only breaks down when nations actively begin to seek peace. The U.N. is currently the primary vehicle for that - it may only have one wheel of four, but it's foolish to give up and resort to old, failed methods.

When approaching these subjects of conflict, I try and avoid making judgment based on my nationality or national interests because that is precisely what fuels and perpetuates the conflicts in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely View Post
                  Everyone has blood on their hands, everyone is simultaneously a villian and a hero.
                  I couldn't disagree with you more.
                  New to TG?

Comment

I couldn't disagree with you more.
                    Well tell us how he is wrong then. I have a hard time seeing the world as a black and white place, a place where there is always a clear definition between "good" and "evil". It is easy for you to say that you disagree but it is meaningless if you don't explain why.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Buckets View Post
                      Well tell us how he is wrong then. I have a hard time seeing the world as a black and white place, a place where there is always a clear definition between "good" and "evil". It is easy for you to say that you disagree but it is meaningless if you don't explain why.
                      The man was truly destructive to any attempts at peace. Any moral obfuscation of his history is a cop out.
                      New to TG?

Comment

Replace Mughniyeh's photo with a portrait of Hitler, or Pol Pot, or... John Madden (;P). Now do you get the idea?

Comment

The man was truly destructive to any attempts at peace. Any moral obfuscation of his history is a cop out.
                          I'm not arguing that the world isn't better off without some people. I agree with you that the world would be a better place had he not been born. I just think its important to examine the rhetoric and perhaps look at the conditions that made him who he was and made the situation in that part of the world what it is. Taking such a narrow view of history is a cop out.
                          sigpic

Comment

I get where you're coming from, Buckets. The only objection I have is to their salutes. They could've easily just come to attention or parade rest as the truck bumbled on by without showing an outright sign of "respect" for a scumbag.

Comment

Originally posted by Gillespie View Post
                              I get where you're coming from, Buckets. The only objection I have is to their salutes. They could've easily just come to attention or parade rest as the truck bumbled on by without showing an outright sign of "respect" for a scumbag.
                              My gut reaction is to object as well. I just find it extremely plausible that: A. these people had no idea who the man in the picture that they were saluting was and B. they were tryin g to show respect for the people they were living amongst by saluting the dead. Not that ignorance is a great excuse but in this case, I don't think we have enough facts to demonize these troops and certainly not the U.N as a whole. Unless we're trying to make a loosely coherent political point, I guess.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X