Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this make anyone else nervous ?

RFID(radio frequency identification) on school students

I'm off to find out more on this....I can't imagine no parents objected....I sure woulda...

Re: Does this make anyone else nervous ?

well with cases such as holly wells and jessica simpson and sarah pain i fear its the worry and fear clouding the minds of those who are most vulnerable to these occurences.

it sounds like its only in school premises, but i would be interested to know if its also outside in the street.

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Well...It's also in the buses, as it logs each child in and out as they enter and exit, so, sounds like it wouldn't be too complicated to have these readers placed in other areas as well....and not just on school property

Comment

Originally posted by phyllis
        I sure woulda...
        So would I. I know my kid would probably give it to his friend and have him check it off so he could skip but I'd think he was at school. Li'l rascal.

Also, couldn't a someone hack into it and then get a real-time display of where all the little children in the area are and thier names? That sounds bad. I mean, if it weren't just used for school bus purposes.

Comment

RFID in general makes me nervous... I understand that WalMart is placing RFID tags on certain merchandise and law enforcement will be able to track them. I heard that certain prescription drug containers are going to have them imbedded in the plastic bottles, as well...

The potential for abuse here is enormous. I'm just waiting for my RFID detector wand so that I can start scanning everything I buy for this crap...

Comment

Yea...Wallyworlds getting in on this, and what bothers me the most about theirs, is its not just contained to in-store information, those items can be scanned after the consumer has taken them home... Like you, I'm going to want to remove any RFID traces from any of my stuff. There's wayyyyy too much negative potential in this area. Next, they'll be passing a law that makes it illegal to remove RFID tags....wait and see.....

Comment

I agree: the potential for abuse is enormous. The potential for good is enormous too. There will be many billable hours involved in wrangling over this.

Comment

Originally posted by leejo
                I agree: the potential for abuse is enormous. The potential for good is enormous too. There will be many billable hours involved in wrangling over this.
                The problem is that the law takes so long to catch up with technology. Look at telephone wiretaps. Until the Patriot Act, a judge could only issue a warrant for police to tap a specific phone line. Cell phones, and especially disposable cell phones with prepaid calling cards, made those warrants nearly useless because criminals and terrorist organizations would simply use a different phone every week. The Patriot Act finally enabled a judge to issue a warrant so that a person could be "tapped"
                regardless of what phone he/she is using.

I won't even get into the mess that digital music is in...

I'm afraid that RFID will become commonplace and intrusive before the law can prevent abuse by corporations and/or law enforcement. We already know what the technology is capable of. Why don't we start pressuring our legislators to start looking at this right now?

Comment

Originally posted by HairyNevus
                  Also, couldn't a someone hack into it and then get a real-time display of where all the little children in the area are and thier names? That sounds bad. I mean, if it weren't just used for school bus purposes.
                  Someone could hack low-jack and know where every bentley that has it is located. Doesn't mean low-jack is a bad idea.

Plus, kidnappers and child molesters don't tend to be the highly technical sort (in reference to computer hacking). With the right security it would be a pretty good idea.

The problem would arise from how these badges work. Someone might be able to get a radio scanner and get in that way. It would really depend on the technical details on how these devices respond. Do they always broadcast? What's the range? When do they turn off?

Minors technically have no rights in an everyday sense. They rely on their guardian for their rights. It's in the school's legal and monetary interests to keep them in a desk.

Although, I can just imagine the headlines when kids start leaving the tags in school then ditching class:

"Next on news at 5, a record high in kids being locked into lockers has reach alarming proportions."

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX
                    Someone could hack low-jack and know where every bentley that has it is located. Doesn't mean low-jack is a bad idea.

Plus, kidnappers and child molesters don't tend to be the highly technical sort (in reference to computer hacking). With the right security it would be a pretty good idea.

The problem would arise from how these badges work. Someone might be able to get a radio scanner and get in that way. It would really depend on the technical details on how these devices respond. Do they always broadcast? What's the range? When do they turn off?

Minors technically have no rights in an everyday sense. They rely on their guardian for their rights. It's in the school's legal and monetary interests to keep them in a desk.

Although, I can just imagine the headlines when kids start leaving the tags in school then ditching class:

"Next on news at 5, a record high in kids being locked into lockers has reach alarming proportions."
                    i disagree, most kidnappers are noe grooming kids on the internet, making themselfs sound like a very very trustworthyy and nice person. if this thing is merely a thing you put in your bag, then all the kidnapper has to do is convince the child to fool iots parents and make it think its gone to school.

how far could you get in the 6 hours kids are in school. ?

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

If it was purely in school, lock 'em in.
                      If it could help protect then great. But there is certainly potential for bad. Let's just put all our kids in prison, then they can't get napped... ;)

Comment

Originally posted by IceCold
                        The problem is that the law takes so long to catch up with technology. Look at telephone wiretaps. Until the Patriot Act, a judge could only issue a warrant for police to tap a specific phone line. Cell phones, and especially disposable cell phones with prepaid calling cards, made those warrants nearly useless because criminals and terrorist organizations would simply use a different phone every week. The Patriot Act finally enabled a judge to issue a warrant so that a person could be "tapped"
                        regardless of what phone he/she is using.

I won't even get into the mess that digital music is in...

I'm afraid that RFID will become commonplace and intrusive before the law can prevent abuse by corporations and/or law enforcement. We already know what the technology is capable of. Why don't we start pressuring our legislators to start looking at this right now?
                        No I don't think so. The telescope uses technology that can and is used to invade privacy, but we live with it. The laws and legal principles that exist to protect and preserve privacy will remain in effect, and misuse of this technology will be illegal.

I appreciate your concern, it just doesn't bother or worry me, personally. I think the market impact of negative press along these lines will cause the manufacturers who produce and use this technology to bend over backwards to ensure that it's used responsibly. After all, if the market demands non-rfid-embedded products because of privacy concerns, then they lose.

On the other hand, the technology has great promise in streamlining supply and demand, such that the boom and bust cycle we now see is virtually eliminated. Interesting article here: http://www.newyorker.com/talk/conten...alk_surowiecki

Comment

It would really depend on the technical details on how these devices respond. Do they always broadcast?
                          They broadcast whenever they are scanned.
                          What's the range?
                          Several feet. I'd expect this to increase as technology improves.
                          When do they turn off?
                          I believe these badges are passive of the passive type, which are never "off". They simply use the power of the scanner's signal to send their response whenever they receive it.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X