Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strawmen

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
    Yep, I don't get it. Both Switchcraft and Fatcobra's short retorts make the strawman fallacy. Is it due to poor reading comprehension or what?
    I've found myself guilty of this. Seems to be a lot, lately. Any tips on how to avoid it? I seem to have a blind spot when composing replies and I'm wondering how not to inadvertently create strawmen.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: Strawmen

I think the number one cause on this board is that a number of people are biased towards or against particular trends in politics, and thus they are unlikely to be charitable when reading someone who's opinion disagrees with their own. To be uncharitable in this regard is to attribute to the poster a much weaker or radical position than they are in fact voicing. Arguing against that position would thus count as a strawman.

So how do you avoid it, if you are one of these people? You need to somehow get past your bias when presenting an argument. Take a step back and don't presuppose your own position; read charitably, attributing the strongest position consistent with what the poster writes; read carefully, making sure to respond to what the poster writes and not just what you think they've written.

Comment

Re: Strawmen

Thanks. I have learned in the past to avoid assuming what the poster's next response will be, and to try to address only what's been explicitly said. But I guess I sometimes don't go far enough in that aspect, and make unwarranted assumptions without realizing it.
      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
      X