Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new epidemic of America: Abusing prescription drugs

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/16/he...hp&oref=slogin

it is a growing problem, and the sad part is that most of the time it can go unnoticed for long periods of time.

Now the question is how does one regulate it, and that my friends is the toughest part, it seems nowadays everyone has an ailment that can only be cured by zoloft, or xanax or in some cases ritalin or adderal.

In the fall of 1996 I started my second sophomore year at a prep school in connecticut (it is common to repeat a sophomore, junior or do a Post grad year at these types of schools), and I had little experience in prescription drugs, however being thrown in the mix of all types of students i realized that many parents live in worlds that circulate around their children, and in severe cases want to see their students excel far past the abilities of their own.

I knew kids who were diagnosed with ADD, and took high doses of ritalin (up to 120mgs a day) (I was diagnosed with ADHD, and to this day i still take medication for it), and then there were those who's parents felt they were because they didn't get all 90's and diagnosed their own children and the help of a family doctor to have their kids put on the medication (which they wouldn't necessarily take, or they would sell, or they would take it via the nostril, once they snuck it out of the infirmary).

That my friends was my first experience with prescription drugs, and that was in 1996.

now 12 years later, it has grown from Ritalin, to zoloft, xanax, prozac and onto pain killer medication. (I will look up an article about a Trinity College Pill party that cost the lives of 2 or 3 students)

The problem is growing, and it only is getting worse, oxycontin IMHO is the worst of them all, its heroin in a pill form, women release large amounts of oxycontin over a period of time during and after sex, men only release enough for the sperm to leave the body........and somehow because of this feeling it has been turned into a drug, that should only be given for extreme cases (most notably terminal cancer patients.) Though like many pain killers it is sought out by the young, and the older, and like most addictions it is very dangerous and life threatening.

A good friend of mine from college is addicted to oxycontin, at first one or 2 pills did the job (he started with vicodin, and then moved "up to oxy"), and before he put himself into rehab he was doing up to 40-50 pills a day......yes a day.

Now my question is this, why haven't there been stricter FDA regulations. You can't purchase Claritan-D over the counter anymore, you have to purchase it behind the cashiers counter and fill out information and only then are you allowed to purchase at most 15 or 20 pills, a day due to the crystal meth epidemic which is also plaguing our country........but why are prescription pills still so readily available......it is sad that when one isn't feeling well, you are listed as depressed and voila, zoloft is your new friend, when really it necessarily shouldn't have been prescribed to you in the first place.

It's a sad state that hasn't been given much light, however its a major problem, and sooner or later you will know someone who is dealing with this type of addiction, or who is dabbling with prescription drugs, who knows you might already know someone, or yourself have dabbled with these extremely dangerous form of drugs.
    Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
    Level II Volunteer FireFighter
    Level I HazMat Technician
    NYS EMT-B
    Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
    RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
    Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
    Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
    We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Re: The new epidemic of America: Abusing prescription drugs

It's part of our lazy want everything now society. People are hungry? They get fast food. Want a flashy car they can't afford? Get a lease. Want a big tv? Throw it on a credit card.

It's the same thing with the people's health. Instead of looking at things such as dietary habits, exercise, and other factors, people instead just turn to pills to cure their every problem. I hate how many kids are on Ritalin unnecessarily. People look at ADD like it's the most horrible thing. I grew up with serious attention span issues. Heck, I STILL have them and I'm 27. No pills for me. I LIKE the way my brain works.

What people don't understand is that exercise and good diet can cure SO many problems, such as mild depression, high-blood pressure, etc., etc.. I partially blame the pharmaceutical companies for pushing drugs so hard to people who don't NEED them. many doctor's aren't helping too much either. They see problems that they could easily refer their patients to a dietitian/nutritionist for, but nope. Take 2 of these and call me in the morning. I knew the pill industry was getting ridiculous when I saw the RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome) commercials. I mean COME ON! I know it's an annoying issue for some Americans, but is it enough to start a billion dollar ad campaign over? Time to start pushing more pills for people who don't really need them.

At least we have a cure for RPS...
    NSFW!!!: http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/3150
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Why is this a problem? Is the sky falling?

BTW, my mom has severe back pain, and her doc just upgraded her from Vicodin to Norco, which has more hyrdocodone and less acetaminophen. At one point she tried morphine and didn't like that at all.
      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
        Why is this a problem? Is the sky falling?
        Why is this a problem? Talk to Heath Ledger about that one...
        http://www.people.com/people/article...176284,00.html

Comment

Originally posted by Delta*RandyShugart* View Post
          ...i realized that many parents live in worlds that circulate around their children, and in severe cases want to see their students excel far past the abilities of their own...
          I believe most of the parents out there will agree with me on this: our lives do revolve our children and we hope and pray that our children surpass us.

As to the rest, I would start by getting rid of sites like WebMD and the like, my wife uses it much to often to try and "diagnose" the family.

When I was a kid, I was diagnosed with either ADD or ADHD (though they didn't call it that at the time) and was put on ritalin as well. My mother did not like what it did to me and pulled me off of it. I think more parents should do the same, or simply refuse to put their children on drugs such as these, but that is a topic worthy of its own discussion.

- -

"..good sportsmanship shouldn't be sacrificed in the name of teamwork. " --WhiskeySix

Comment

America has a major prescription drug problem - this is a matter of fact - and it is growing. The average American is overweight and overmedicated. Nothing is being done about these problems.

Where to start? I say ban direct-to-consumer advertising of prescription drugs. America and New Zealand are the only industrialized countries who permit this kind of shady, subversive advertising. If a company wants to glamorize blue jeans or cell phones, fine - but zoloft and zanax? There is something fundamentally wrong with that, and it has contributed to a culture in which patients are simply shopping for drugs when in many cases all that is needed is a change in lifestyle, diet or mental outlook. There is a good reason why medical professionals are supposed to be the ones who recommend drugs to patients. Just because the American healthcare system is broken does not mean that relationship should be reversed.

Take it from Mr. T - "Stay in school. Don't use drugs."

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely View Post
              Where to start? I say ban direct-to-consumer advertising of prescription drugs. America and New Zealand are the only industrialized countries who permit this kind of shady, subversive advertising. If a company wants to glamorize blue jeans or cell phones, fine - but zoloft and zanax? There is something fundamentally wrong with that, and it has contributed to a culture in which patients are simply shopping for drugs when in many cases all that is needed is a change in lifestyle, diet or mental outlook. There is a good reason why medical professionals are supposed to be the ones who recommend drugs to patients. Just because the American healthcare system is broken does not mean that relationship should be reversed.

Take it from Mr. T - "Stay in school. Don't use drugs."
              Wow! I actually have never thought of that! I think that's actually a pretty good idea. Let's allow the doctors to be the experts on prescription drugs, not the consumer who likes the commercial with the pretty flowers and the convertible.

Comment

Let's also make sure consumers aren't allowed to pick anything else for which there are trained experts. Want to build your own computer? Nope, we won't allow it! You might get it wrong. Want to choose your own groceries? Sorry, you might pick something fattening. We can't let amateurs run their own lives. We need to put the experts in charge of everything. No more freedom for you! You didn't choose what we want you to choose, so it's back to serfdom!

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I think everybody should stay out of others business. If an 80yr old wants to sit around wasted then let them. They are old enough to decide what is and isn't good for them.

I just had surgery and was only given Lortab even though it does almost nothing for my pain. The doctor was reluctant to give anything strong because it would "look bad". Screw everybody that wants to tell me what level of pain I should deal with. I think I am old enough, and my doctor is trained enough, to make that decision.

So I took a double dose of it and it made me nauseous and I through up and popped a stitch. Had to go to the emergency room. They gave me a shot of some really good stuff and I went home. But still they wouldn't give my anything better then Lortab. To protect me I guess.

Fortunately my wife had some oxycotin around from her c-section. Took it for the first few days and guess what? I am not addicted!!!!! OMFG it is a miracle! Not only that but I didn't get nauseous because I only had to take a single dose.

Yes, people will abuse anything and everything. Even spray paint. But millions upon millions use pain killers responsibly to very good effect.

Deal with the people that abuse on an individual basis. Quite making monsters out of the addicted and start offering comprehensive, long term, drug treatment to anybody that wants it.
                  Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                  - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                  - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                  - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                  - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                  - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                  - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
                    Why is this a problem? Talk to Heath Ledger about that one...
                    http://www.people.com/people/article...176284,00.html
                    "Mr. Heath Ledger died as the result of acute intoxication by the combined effects of Oxycodone, Hydrocodone, Diazepam, Temazepam, Alprazolam, and Doxylamine," said an announcement released Wednesday morning by office spokeswoman Ellen Borakove.
                    I don't consider that a problem. I consider it evolution in action. It's time we stopped letting the law interfere with it and allow the stupid to clear out of the gene pool.

Comment

EGG makes a good point: How much of this misuse of drugs is because we can't get the stuff we really need? You can poison yourself on Vicodin by taking too much because it has acetaminophen, which is hard on the liver. Yet some see this as a "feature", because it keeps people from using too much! Let's cure addiction by poisoning the potential addicts with overdoses of another drug!

Comment

i am not saying everyone will become addicted the second they take it, for medicinal purposes, i am saying it is a growing problem when those take it that are not prescribed it, or are given a prescription because "its the popular" thing to do....

mosely you also bring up a valid point, and i might have to make a topic on that as well, unless if you beat me to the punch because obesity is another huge problem in the U.S.
                        Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                        NYS EMT-B

sigpic

Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                          Let's also make sure consumers aren't allowed to pick anything else for which there are trained experts. Want to build your own computer? Nope, we won't allow it! You might get it wrong. Want to choose your own groceries? Sorry, you might pick something fattening. We can't let amateurs run their own lives. We need to put the experts in charge of everything. No more freedom for you! You didn't choose what we want you to choose, so it's back to serfdom!
                          Apples and oranges. We're not talking about hard drives and memory, we're talking about potentially lethal side effects, addictive medicine and the overmedication of children.

It's astounding to me that people continue to make this argument ("no more freedom") when the effects of this so-called 'freedom' are plain to see - obesity is rampant and prescription drug abuse is on a rapid rise. Don't confuse consumer choice and education with the drug lobby and its advertisers. Limiting choice is one thing - limiting outside influence is another.

The drug lobby is behind any politician who claims that federal regulation of prescription drugs and their advertising is somehow an infringement on your rights as a consumer. Abusing these drugs is an infringement on your health as a consumer. What would you rather have?

Comment

scratch can you stay on topic? Its obvious to all of us that if you intend to ingest computer parts the side effects will be devastating to your body....and can very well kill you.
                            Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                            NYS EMT-B

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Delta*RandyShugart* View Post
                              i am not saying everyone will become addicted the second they take it, for medicinal purposes, i am saying it is a growing problem when those take it that are not prescribed it, or are given a prescription because "its the popular" thing to do....

mosely you also bring up a valid point, and i might have to make a topic on that as well, unless if you beat me to the punch because obesity is another huge problem in the U.S.
                              I agree that drugs are given for the wrong reasons. This is a social problem and not a medical one.

It is a social one because somebody needs to decide to go to the doctor. Or decide to take a dependent to the doctor.

Take the ADD stuff. Something tells me this has been around for ever. Growing up most boys in my peer group had problems sitting still and paying attention. They solved this by doing vigorous phys ed. and pushing activities during breaks that where very physical. And those that still fidgeted where just lumped into the "boys will be boys" camp.

Today the first sign of fidgeting raises alarms. And we want all kids to be the same. Some of this is caused because we want America to be the best, strongest economy in the world. We want the kids to grow up to be rich and successful but at the same time iconoclasts.
                              Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                              - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                              - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                              - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                              - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                              - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                              - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X