The United States of Obesity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The United States of Obesity

Scary on so many different levels, and all it takes is really walking more, eating healthier, and for all you kids playing outside instead of on the computer or console gaming system for 8 hours straight. (Though i must say there are some really hot college girls who go to ole miss.......but i guess they are in the minority.)

Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
    Level II Volunteer FireFighter
    Level I HazMat Technician
    NYS EMT-B
    Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
    RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
    Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
    Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
    We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Re: The United States of Obesity

I can play on the computer for eight hours straight and I'm about sixty-five kilos, 1.89 meters. I'm also not weak, sickly, or otherwise ill. I really have no patience for obesity, though a good portion of my patients, both as an EMT and on the ICU, are obese. I'll show respect and treat them the same way as anyone else, but at the end of the day, those are the ones who I, simply put, just have less sympathy for. They're like smokers with emphysema, I really just don't care as much.

Also, they drive up health care costs.
    I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

#2 \o/

interesting how Mississippi seems to be leaking fatness into the neighboring states... the further away you get from MS, the less fat you have... o_0

Comment

Originally posted by Razcsak View Post
        I can play on the computer for eight hours straight and I'm about sixty-five kilos, 1.89 meters. I'm also not weak, sickly, or otherwise ill. I really have no patience for obesity, though a good portion of my patients, both as an EMT and on the ICU, are obese. I'll show respect and treat them the same way as anyone else, but at the end of the day, those are the ones who I, simply put, just have less sympathy for. They're like smokers with emphysema, I really just don't care as much.

Also, they drive up health care costs.
        My brother's wife is a nurse and she has told us about some disgusting surgeries dealing with the obese, especially with knee surgeries and open heart stuff, the amount of fat you have to peel away/cut into almost made me vomit in my mouth a few times....
        I hear what you are saying Raz, but nowaday's more kids are into playing video games inside than cops and robbers, or even street hockey outside....Your last sentence i agree with you fully.....
        Its a good thing my mom isn't a member of the TG community, she would go off on a rant/tirade that would probably get her banned about the obese.

(*I don't mean to offend anyone in the community, it is just a topic that was seeping into another topic i posted and it deserved its own topic for us to discuss and talk about*)
        Last edited by Delta*RandyShugart*; 07-29-2008, 05:28 PM.
        Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
        NYS EMT-B

sigpic

Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.

Comment

This is precisely one of the reasons why universal healthcare won't work too well in the U.S., but it might work well in other countries. Take Japan for example. They saw people's waistlines getting bigger, so they nipped that little problem in the bud with their new legal waist restrictions. That sort of government interference wouldn't fly here in our politically correct "don't offend anybody" society, so obviously our health costs would be much much higher. Sorry, I don't mean to hi-jack your thread. I just also see obesity as a big problem...no pun intended.

One good explanation as to why Southern states have more fatties. AWESOME food! I love Soul food and Mexican food. Unfortunately, so does everyone else. But unlike most people, I both exercise and avoid unhealthy food except for rare occasions.
          "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Well I'm helping drive those numbers up so GO ME!!! (sarcasm)

As for driving up health care costs in the gold 'ole US of A. I don't!

I go for regular check ups, I've got a wonderful blood pressure readings 134/80, my cholesterol is high, but it's been that way since I was an unfat teenager. I've yo-yo'ed on my weight since I was a little kid.

Don't say it, I'll say it first, "Wow I must be the exception to the rule."
            Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

Hmm, in the UK there is the NHS, paid for by all tax payers, it is a free state run medical service

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Health_Service

But recently there has been talk of a "fat tax" on obese people ad a "smokers tax" also. Would certainly be contentious....

Comment

Japan has made it mandatory that senior's get checked by doctors every 6 months or yearly to make sure they are not overweight, and i believe there might be some penalties if they are...............

Looking at the map, man, its unreal that the percentages are up that high....
                "But I like the stairs" - Adam Sandler reference.
                Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                NYS EMT-B

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Delta*RandyShugart* View Post
                  Looking at the map, man, its unreal that the percentages are up that high....
                  No, its really not. People look at me and worry that I'm unhealthily skinny and I'm on the lower end of "very healthy" by most standards. IIRC, what most people consider normal (for males) in the US is actually slightly overweight, although still well away from obese.

Sorry for the bitterness, this is one of my pet peeves. It might be because my ambulance company specialized in moving bariatric patients, but...:p
                  I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

I play video games daily, and work at McDonalds. I eat there for breakfast and lunch five days a week, and about every other day I'll eat dinner there as well. I weigh 148 pounds. I'll go for a long bike ride about every third day, and in between I'll take short jogs or bike rides, and of course the usual situps and pushups before bed. It's not necessarily what you eat that makes you fat, it's the people that gorge themselves and have no self control or exercise habits.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

Fat people make up the one demographic in this country that it is still perfectly acceptable in almost all quarters to mock and denigrate based solely on their physical appearance.

If someone has a problem with other people being fat, I have a problem with that person being a jackass. I guess we'll each just have to deal.
                      In game handle: Steel Scion
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler View Post
                        Fat people make up the one demographic in this country that it is still perfectly acceptable in almost all quarters to mock and denigrate based solely on their physical appearance.

If someone has a problem with other people being fat, I have a problem with that person being a jackass. I guess we'll each just have to deal.
                        I could care less about their physical appearance. What I don't like is the fact that we'll be spending exorbitant amounts of tax payer / insurance buyers' money to pay for all the health care that fat people disproportionately need. It's the very same thing with smoking. If people want to smoke, that's fine by me. But I hate that we have to carry the financial burden for their choices. One of my best friends is obese. So is his wife. He is my age and has to go to the doctor almost monthly for various complications. He has problems with infertility, high blood pressure, passed a kidney stone last summer, and throws his back out every once in a while. His wife is also obese. I've seen the two of them blow up over the last decade. Why are they fat? Because they eat out 3 times a day (no exaggeration), and they do nothing but watch movies and play video games. They NEVER exercise. But here's the kicker... I have to pay about the same amount for health insurance premiums as him!!! I NEVER go to the doctor. I take no meds. I'm fit as a fiddle. Why do I have to pay for his health problems? That's where fat people and chronic emphysemic smokers annoy me.
                        "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

I'm waiting to hear your firm stand against drinking, athletics, and anyone who works a labor-intensive job. Why should I pay the same health insurance rate as a coal mine worker? I'm not nearly as likely to be hit by a falling sluice support!

Obesity can come along for a variety of different reasons. Not all of them are controlled by the actions of the individual, very few impose a significant social cost on others, and none are any of your goshdarn business.
                          In game handle: Steel Scion
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler View Post
                            I'm waiting to hear your firm stand against drinking, athletics, and anyone who works a labor-intensive job. Why should I pay the same health insurance rate as a coal mine worker? I'm not nearly as likely to be hit by a falling sluice support!

Obesity can come along for a variety of different reasons. Not all of them are controlled by the actions of the individual, very few impose a significant social cost on others, and none are any of your goshdarn business.
                            Agreed.

Plus there isn't much being done about it accept for calling the obese names.

There isn't much effort into enacting laws and building infrastructure to support walking and riding of bikes. Every time government, either local or national, wants to do simple things like forcing the displaying of nutritional information in restaurants all you hear is cries of how it will hurt business.

I would like to see laws that encourage more activity and less driving. This includes making driving less appealing by raising parking fees and giving walkers and bikers a clear right of way. I would also like to see zoning laws that encourages shopping centers to be easily accessible by those on foot. Zoning laws that discourage creating shopping centers that are miles away from residences and discourage huge Wal marts that are built to serve those in a 15 mile radius.
                            Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                            - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                            - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                            - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                            - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                            - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                            - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Obesity is a problem, but it really isn't one I believe the government should be sticking its nose into. People can smoke, or be fat if they choose to. I do not smoke or am obese but obesity is not forbidden and should not be. Now, if we had socialized medicine I can see exactly why we would have extra incentive to take care of obesity, as it would come more so out of our pockets. You shouldn't have to pay because your neighbor is obese. If you are obese, the extra money for doctors visits and stuff comes out of your own pocket.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X