Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Communication skills/poor writing

Originally posted here: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/showthread.php?t=21371

Link straight to the story: http://news.com.com/What+corporate+A...3-5481494.html

Basically, the popularity of electronic text communication has revealed that many people, at all levels of business, aren't able to effectively communicate using the written word.

When I was in the Marines, I always worked in electronics maintenance shops. I was surrounded by the best and brightest in the USMC. Few jobs in the Marine Corps had people with the same level of education and intelligence. Our leaders, however, were not always of the same cut of cloth. Even though all the officers had bachelors' degrees, they often weren't exactly what you would call "learned". And First Sergeants and Sergeants Major could come from any military background, so, although they were excellent at leading men, their writing skills were often lacking. Really lacking. Embarrassingly lacking...

Anyway, I know that my grammar is not the best in the world, to be sure. But I like to think that I'm able to convey a message in an effective manner, without too many spelling or grammar errors. I also know that I've picked up some bad habits from doing so much typing in informal formats like here and USENET. I misuse periods a LOT. I capitalize words improperly for emphasis. I sometimes catch myself wanting to include a smiley :-) or other informal <grin> method of indicating emotion in my emails at work.

I remember when "ain't" really wasn't in the dictionary. Now it is, although it's still considered crude. So, do you all think this is a problem? Or is the English language simply evolving at a VERY fast rate right now? Are we going to see the word "you" lose a couple of letters? Are smilies going to infiltrate other forms of writing? What effect will this have on contracts, legislation and educational texts? Will we have two classes of citizens, one who speaks formal English and one that speaks pidgin? Will the Chargers win the Super Bowl this year? Oh, sorry. Got carried away with the questions...
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Re: Communication skills/poor writing

It's one of my pet peeves that people can't communicate using written word.

My kids use the computer for all their homework, at the schools behest and that annoys me too. What happened to the 3 'r's?

I can understand the evolution of language, and even include smilies, but lack of punctuation, simple spelling and grammatical errors to me signify a bigger problem, and the dumbing down of the current populace.

/soap box.

Taken from elsewhere, my other ramblings.
    I can forgive the odd spelling mistake or grammatical error, but I personally find it rude.
    It's not difficult to type what you are thinking, and the excuse that you are in a hurry doesn't wash in a forum.

A great bit huge blockof text fullof numb3rs and l33t bollocks is annoyingfrustrating and frankly disturbing.

I don't see it as particularly comforting that the younger generation, and quite frankly I'm not that old, can't articulate without resorting to abbreiviations and acronyms. I also find it disheartening, and perhaps I'm tarring everyone with the same brush here, that this is the best we have to offer? Internet and PC literate people who cannot express themselves without lapsing into garbled rubbish.

If this strikes a chord, look at your last 20 posts using the tools built into this forum and see if you can do better. If your last 20 posts are gr8, yef I r leet, then think about it. If you generally don't hurry through posting as quickly as you can whilst not considering the reader then ignore my ramblings.

Edited to include a smiley so no-one gets offended. :icon16:

Comment

It's an evolution of the language, for certain, but much like curse words, "ain't", "y'all", and things of that ilk, I think that this evolution is one best left behind when trying to be professional and/or courteous.
      [volun2]
      NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
      Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
      <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
      <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
        So, do you all think this is a problem?
        Yes we all do. Every single one of us.

How long have you lived in Texas now? :D

Comment

I work with High School students everyday, and am consistently shocked to see how few of them are able to properly communicate their ideas in writing. I don't mind the use of computers as a primary mode of communication. On the other hand, I *DO* have issue with spelling errors, gramatical mistakes and inconsistent structure (sentence fragments, for example.)

I too overuse periods and commas, and often find myself wanting to put lame little smilies at the end of everything. ;) Nonetheless, I think it is absolutely critical that we hold the students of today to higher standards in communication and written language.

One of these days, I will post a student essay for you guys to peruse. It can be rather disturbing at times to see the quality of work these kids are able to put out.

Comment

Originally posted by =luna=
            I work with High School students everyday, and am consistently shocked to see how few of them are able to properly communicate their ideas in writing.
            I know I didnt try that hard in my papers, you fail to realize most kids are not looking to impress or get good grades but rather get by. Hell I didnt even read over my papers!

I also do understand why people try to act so proper all the time. Its bad for you, the internet is a pass time, save the grammer and spelling stuff for when it counts.

I dont think it is an evolution but rather a poor choice of when to use informal and formal.

Comment

Well, just look at all of the spelling and grammar errors in this thread already. Some are obvious. Some are not. Perfect writing is rare (and up for debate), and that's fine. But effective written communication is also and shouldn't be.

I always do my best to communicate my thoughts in writing as effectively as possible. It shows respect to your reader and to your idea.

I strongly disagree with Emanon's opinion. A triathlete doesn't wait until the day of the event to start swimming. If you're going to be skilled at something, you must practice, practice, and practice some more.

If you plan to have a professional career in today's world, you're going to drown without effective written communication.

I'm normally not a "rubbernecker," but I would like to see some of those papers, Luna.
              Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by RandomGuy
                Originally posted by CingularDuality
                So, do you all think this is a problem?
                Yes we all do. Every single one of us.

How long have you lived in Texas now? :D
                Is that improper? :icon24: That's not a Texas thing... I grew up (in California) using "you all" to specify the plural form of you. And no teacher has ever corrected me on that.

Texans would've typed "y'all".
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

I believe that most of us here have a rather firm grip on the english language in speech and written word. I find most posts easy to read and have a correct flow to get across the intended point. While there are degrees of correctness, I will not try to get out of ending a sentence in a preposition to be grammatically correct. There are some rules that lend themselves to abuse for creative translation. (there are no novels out right now that are grammatically correct. They are written to be readable and understandable, not correct to the last comma.) ----or is it "comma)."---- and I think that for the most part, it is time for the english language to relax a little on its structure.
                  Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                  The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

I think "you all" is part of the southern dialect. The standard plural of "you" is "you". Since this topic is about communication, someone not from the south might read "Do you all think this is a problem?" has having the same meaning as "Does everyone think this is a problem?" as I (facetiously) did.

Heh. What would you say if you did in fact want to know if everyone thought there was a problem...
                    "Do all of you all think this is a problem?"

Talk about communication problems...

Comment

Originally posted by RandomGuy
                      I think "you all" is part of the southern dialect. The standard plural of "you" is "you". Since this topic is about communication, someone not from the south might read "Do you all think this is a problem?" has having the same meaning as "Does everyone think this is a problem?" as I (facetiously) did.
                      Hmmm, well, while it may normally be a southern phrase, I didn't pick it up from the south... And I did mean "Does everyone think this is a problem?". Now I'm really confused...
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X