Let's all thank our Senate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's all thank our Senate

For doing completely nothing about our gas prices and are about to take a 5 week holiday while we are still being murdered at the pumps, thanks a lot. Last time I checked they were elected to represent us, the people. Not several groups of hippies who teach their kids that field mice are more important then they are.(I'm semi-serious with that sentence).

I bring this up since last time I checked (today) almost 80% of the U.S. Population wants off-shore drilling and yet the Democrat leaders in the senate won't even allow a vote on the matter. Instead they want to us to invest in alternative energies, I'm all for that but I'd like to use that sweet black liquid that we call oil as I wait for those alternative energies to advance enough to be practical instead of driving a battery powered Tyco RC car that needs to be recharged every 200 feet to work everyday.

I'm I the only one who feels this way?

Re: Let's all thank our Senate

Originally posted by FatCobra View Post
    For doing completely nothing about our gas prices and are about to take a 5 week holiday while we are still being murdered at the pumps, thanks a lot. Last time I checked they were elected to represent us, the people. Not several groups of hippies who teach their kids that field mice are more important then they are.(I'm semi-serious with that sentence).

I bring this up since last time I checked (today) almost 80% of the U.S. Population wants off-shore drilling and yet the Democrat leaders in the senate won't even allow a vote on the matter. Instead they want to us to invest in alternative energies, I'm all for that but I'd like to use that sweet black liquid that we call oil as I wait for those alternative energies to advance enough to be practical instead of driving a battery powered Tyco RC car to work everyday.

I'm I the only one who feels this way?

Off shore drilling isnt going to help us. The problem is these AMERICAN oil companies that are raping us for our money. If we really want to get serious we need to nationalize the oil companies so we can stop corporations from stealing our money. But sense this country is owned by corporations thats not going to happen.
    "In general, our generals were outgeneralled"
    -John Adams
    "You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence."
    -Charles Beard

Comment

If only the senate had some executive leader to look up to... someone that doesn't run off on vacation while the country is repeatedly found in a crisis... who could be such a stellar leader.. a presidential man... someone great to lead us.... the senate... they are many, even if some of them did not go on vacation, they cannot function without others there to vote... but a leader to inspire them could perhaps make them all work over time!

http://snafu-ed.blogspot.com/2008/03...-vacation.html
      In total, Bush has spent 452 days on vacation during his presidency. That's close to 1 1/3 years.
      Make sure you spread the blame evenly :P
      |TG|Switch

Better known as:
      That noob who crashed the chopper.
      That noob who ran over the mine.
      That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
      That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

...do you really think that when the President is on "vacation" that he is completely unavailable and not still working?

Sorry, trips to Camp David, the Ranch, whatever, say what you will about his policies, even when a President (Republican or Democrat) is on vacation, he's not.
        "I've been working since I was sixteen. I fought in two wars. Hell, I've killed people. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy it..."
        -- Red Forman

Comment

Originally posted by chris934 View Post
          Off shore drilling isnt going to help us. The problem is these AMERICAN oil companies that are raping us for our money. If we really want to get serious we need to nationalize the oil companies so we can stop corporations from stealing our money. But sense this country is owned by corporations thats not going to happen.
          The price of gas went down immediately after we brought up the idea of drilling for our own oil, so its kinda hard to say that it wont. I'd rather have American oil companies get our money then for it to go overseas to the middle-east to countries that hate our guts. Whats wrong with a company making a profit? Exxon for example only makes 7-8 cents of profit per a gallon of gas when they have to go out and find the oil, set up a oil rig, drill it, turn it into gasoline, ship it overseas and then drive it to the gas stations.

Compared to our government that makes 18 cents a gallon for doing nothing and then the states tax which could be anywhere from 15-30 cents a gallon. Yea.... its the oil companies.. not our own government who are making a profit...

Comment

Yeah, we're getting bent over a barrel by the oil companies... and forget lube, they're leaving the pants on:

Exxon Mobil said on Thursday soaring oil prices pushed its second-quarter earnings up 14 percent, again breaking its own record for the highest-ever profit by a U.S. company. Net income in the quarter rose to $11.68 billion (5.9 billion pounds), or $2.22 a share, from $10.26 billion, or $1.83 a share, last year.
            http://uk.reuters.com/article/topNew...EN711420080731

Comment

Keep in mind that for every dollar that Exxon earns by doing actual work to bring us oil, the US Government gets 2 dollars in taxes for sitting there and watching. Who exactly has us bent over a barrel again? The Company that earned an $11.5 Billion profit, or the Government that made $23 Billion in tax revenue off this company?

Meanwhile, on the subject of legislation, the congressional ban on offshore drilling actually has a sunset clause in it (or so I've heard). It has to be actively renewed every few years, and the next renewal is this fall. If the senate doesn't bring the renewal to a vote, the law just expires peacefully without anyone having to know about it. Most likely the Senate leaders are going to take that route to avoid having to actually cast votes on the issue, since any vote they cast is going to make SOMEONE angry. That goes double for Senator Obama -- he can't afford to have his votes on something this important recorded for all to see, so shortly before the election.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
                Yeah, we're getting bent over a barrel by the oil companies... and forget lube, they're leaving the pants on:
                Would you care to explain, logically, why this is your opinion? I hear people say this every day, but I have yet to hear a non-emotional argument to back up this viewpoint...
                Become a supporting member!
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                  Would you care to explain, logically, why this is your opinion? I hear people say this every day, but I have yet to hear a non-emotional argument to back up this viewpoint...
                  While it seems that mister Duality is an agent of the federal government(JK it seems that way though) he should take a look at this report on PROFITS of exxon mobile the largest oil company in the world. Mind you that these are only profits for 2007. While republicans and democrats continue to blame foreign oil for rising gas prices then why do these American companies continue to see RECORD profits?

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu...shots/387.html
                  EDIT: (sorry i forgot the link at first)
                  "In general, our generals were outgeneralled"
                  -John Adams
                  "You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence."
                  -Charles Beard

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                    They can charge whatever they want for gas, and we gotta buy it = over a barrel.

I clearly don't understand everything that goes into the price of gasoline, but Exon/Mobile just had their largest profit in history... Which is fine, don't get me wrong. I very much believe in capitalism and they've got the biggest in-demand product on the planet. Win for them.

I just don't see why everyone's wondering why gas is so expensive - blaming futures speculators, supply issues, or whatever else... To me, it appears that the price is $4/gallon because they can get that much for it.

The problem is that while oil company's are winning, solid people are loosing their shirts. I know a guy in town here that's had to sell all but one of his trucks [6 10-wheel dumptrucks] because it's a $1/mile for him, and he can't afford to pay drivers. His family (and his 5 drivers' families) are SOL.

Comment

Who has us bent over the barrel? China. The real problem is that for the first time in history it's not just us in need of tremendous amounts of resources. China has been bidding up every drop of oil, every lump of coal, every scrap of copper for a few years now and we're starting to see it's effect on our economy. Exxon/Mobile has shown their profits are not coming from American consumption anymore as much as they are coming in from international profits. The oil companies have very little to do with our prices. It's global competition that has us by the nads. Don't expect it to change whether congress takes a vacation or not. This is the natural reaction to an emerging global competitor.
                      | | |

Comment

Here's the funny thing. Not many people HAVE to subject themselves to buying expensive gas. It's different for those with families, but many single people can ditch their cars. Just move to an urban location where everything is convenient. I've known people who have given up driving almost entirely. They walk, bike, and take the rail system to get everywhere. That's here in Fort Worth. What most people aren't willing to do is make lifestyle changes. It still amazes me how few people carpool. There are many ways to adjust to the higher prices. Combine your errands into one large circle of a route. Share rides with co-workers. Ride the rails or buses. Ditch the SUV and buy an old used economy car. Try walking to as many places as you can that are located near you.

It's funny how so many of the same people that have been complaining about global warming and environmental issues are the same ones whining about gas prices. Don't they see this as a great opportunity for America as a whole to make some positive changes that will benefit the environment and even their health?
                        "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

They can charge whatever they want for gas, and we gotta buy it = over a barrel.

I clearly don't understand everything that goes into the price of gasoline, but Exon/Mobile just had their largest profit in history...
                          The prices of oil, gasoline, and many other commodities are set by open commodity exchanges, not by oil/gasoline companies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago...ntile_Exchange

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Yor...ntile_Exchange
                          A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

1. Price of gas is not the problem, it's the price of oil.
                            2. The record profits are not due to overpriced gas, but to massive consumption. The difference between that record profit and zero profit is just a few cents per gallon. Can you name another product where changing just the retail price by 10 cents would mean a company (or industry) could go from $150 billion to a massive loss?

---
                            Sources say the Dow Jones' decline is directly related to Dethklok front-man Nathan Explosion's constant deleting of potential new albums.

Comment

Ah, so no logic, just emotion. That's cool. I was just checking...

Oh, I was also wondering if you consider yourself "over a barrel" with regards to any other commodity?
                              Become a supporting member!
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!
                              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X