Are you happy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you happy?

So just a harmless poll, post your thoughts if you want, if not just vote.

I am in a constant battle with depression and just wanted to get a look into other people's lives. I'm rarely happy. I get bursts of happy when I get home and my kids run to me screaming, "Daddy, Daddy", but that feeling never lasts. I can honestly say that I haven't felt happy for more than an hour at a time in at least the last year. No pity parties here, just wanted to see how everyone else here feels.

I guess we could argue the point of being content vs. being happy, but let's not. Vote based on your own perception of what happy is.
    I'm happy most of the time.
    31.34%
    I'm happy more than I'm not happy.
    40.30%
    I'm not happy more than I'm happy.
    17.91%
    I'm rarely ever happy.
    10.45%
    Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Re: Are you happy?

I am happy most of the time. I have a great life, good health, and wonderful family. What more can a man ask for.
    Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

I'm with you on this one Catman. I've been battling depression for a few years now too. Tried different meds, but don't like the side affects, so I'm going it alone for right now. It's really hard, because right now I'm living the years I know I'll look back on as "the best" years with my kids, where most of them are still pretty young and like hanging around with me as much as they can. But I feel like I'm really missing a key ingredient to being happy that I envy in so many people I know and see every day.
      |TG-55| Infantry Division - Former Captain

Comment

I fell into depression for a few months several years ago, but I've since fully recovered and I'm a very happy person these days. I don't remember exactly what happened to bring me out of depression, but I think it involved a few fundamental shifts in the way I viewed the world.

Comment

I'm reasonably happy most of the time. Not like elated, skipping around, singing happy but definitely satisfied. I've gone through bouts of depression in the past and it was no fun.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Catman1975 View Post
            I guess we could argue the point of being content vs. being happy, but let's not.
            I wish "content" would have been a poll option, heh. I've been content for a long time now; not sad or depressed (though there are those moments), but also not happy or ecstatic (though there are those moments). I'm quite aptly "middle of the road", and I honestly don't have a clue what it would take for me to really be happy.

I'm fine with it though, been this way since college.
            [squadl]
            "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

I'm happy more than I'm not happy. I'm human and my life isn't roses...but hey? Whatcha gonna do about it if you're not willing to change it? And that's the mentality I approach life with. Take everything with a grain of salt, don't sweat the small stuff, live one breath at a time. Cliche? Oh yeah. Rewarding even in the worst of times? Hell yes!
              | | |

Comment

The happiest person I have ever seen is the Dalai Lama. So I started reading his books and others like him so I can find out what makes them so happy. After learning mental exercises and techniques in first person introspection I have learned to know peace. I try to practice those principals in every moment of my life. Except when I'm gaming. Then I will hunt and kill my enemy like the dogs that they are.

Comment

I'm content... or at least that is what I keep telling myself. It terms of 'life' things are good, in terms of work. I'll be nice and NOT go there.

~ Draken

Comment

Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
                    The happiest person I have ever seen is the Dalai Lama. So I started reading his books and others like him so I can find out what makes them so happy. After learning mental exercises and techniques in first person introspection I have learned to know peace. I try to practice those principals in every moment of my life. Except when I'm gaming. Then I will hunt and kill my enemy like the dogs that they are.
                    Ah yes. The Dalai Lama. That's a good role model to achieve happiness. I never thought of reading his books. He is a pretty remarkable person.
                    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

He held McCain's hand. tee hee tee hee.

A friend of mine had a chance to meet him. The Dali Lama, at the time, had never ate a filafil...so my friend treated him to one. He was ecstatic over the whole thing. What a cool dude.
                      | | |

Comment

I'm very content with life right now.
                        About three months ago, my life was all levels of stress. Now it's very low key and stress free. I've been feeling a slight feeling of elation throughout all of the past two months: not for any particular reason other than freedom from my previous endeavours.

I guess I may still be in denial, and I know I'm making a mistake in being where I am right now and doing what I am, but I am leading a very stress free life and I enjoy that. I am content and just ... content. There is nothing I want and that is a really excellent feeling.

I haven't got three days from tomorrow planned out. I haven't a worry in my life just now. I'm free and that feels very good.

Comment

I went with option two.

Why? Well, I'll break it down.
                          When you guys see me, you generally see me at my peak. I'm either on my day off (yuk it up kids, Ferris Bueller said "day off") or I'm just getting home from work and unwinding by killing my friends in one of my favorite pixelated realities. So you generally see a pretty happy camper.

Outside of that, I try to be happy. I genuinely do. I go hang out with friends from time to time as life permits. I go eat at strange and exotic restaurants. I go to jazz clubs and smoke a nice cigar and have a glass of expensive cognac. These things make me happy.

Then theres work. Stress to no end. For those not amply clear on it, I'm an ICU nurse. I also do rotations in the ER from time to time. I do all of this at a level one trauma center, so we get the worst of the worst. Car accidents, fires, gunshot wounds, abuse cases, you name it. In gaming, I'm a very social person with anyone thats around. At work, if you want my attention, try bleeding, cause chances are i'm too busy to deal with you otherwise. It's a constant flood of stress and heartbreak that I have to see and attempt to patch up every day, and it not only wears you out physically, but it eats at your soul.

On top of all that, I'm single. Yeah, yeah, a 26 year old single guy who has a doctorate and makes gobs of money shouldnt have to complain, but I am. Between my work schedule and dealing with my postdoctoral work and my roommates and my impending move to colorado, I have almost zero time to go pursue the opposite sex (a male nurse that's not gay?! wow!). Even with the limited time I do have, I'm so close to leaving that my brain tells me that this is a REALLY stupid time to start a relationship. Smart thing to do, but it's lonely.

Oh yeah, did I mention that I have incredibly bad chronic insomnia, meaning I only get a few hours sleep per week? So I've got plenty of downtime in the middle of the night to stew on life.

So yeah, I have an overall positive mindset. I do everything I can to keep myself in good spirits, and about 18 hours a day, thats how I am. Big ear to ear grinning goofy short guy. But in those hours when you're sitting alone watching TV at 4 am and nothing is on, you get to pondering how much it sucks to be you.

So there you have it, Option 2.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys.

Ferris, I really admire you. I don't have half the stress you do and you seem to handle it so well. Granted everyone is different and I'm trying to not belittle my own perception of stress (leading to feeling bad). Thank you.

Thank you all. I really miss my group therapy sessions and there's definitely comfort in hearing that I'm not alone in feeling this way. Not many people understand how I feel.. I'm rambling.. thank you all!!
                            Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

I suffer from Bi-polar, so my moods are always a roller-coaster.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X