Georgia attacks South Osettia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Georgia attacks South Osettia

Last night Georgia opened up an offensive against South Osettia.South Osettia broke free from Georgia in the early 90's and has never been accredited as a sovereign nation by the UN. The population of South Osettia consists of approx. 90% Russians and it has strong ties to Russia.

Russia has had a stabilizing force in South Osettia for a number of years as a "peace force". However there has been numerous reports of these troops taking sides with the Russian majority.

Georgia has allegedly shelled a Russian camp inside South Osettia's capital Tskhinvali and killed several soldiers. The Russian response is, according to Georgian officials, the bombing of Georgian cities by three Russian planes.

This may lead to a full out war in the Kaukasus. Let's pray that that it never gets to that.

http://atvs.vg.no/player/?id=17910

On a sidenote, Gerogia is currently trying to be accepted into NATO. I think the chances for that after this has been severely reduced.
    Last edited by PanzerHans; 08-08-2008, 09:54 AM.
    --
    VI VI VI - the number of the beast

re: Georgia attacks South Osettia

Russia Invades Georgia

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe...tia/index.html
    | | |

Comment

I think it's South "Osettia".
      "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
      He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Evo<^|SiNz|^> View Post
        I think it's South "Osettia".
        You are absolutely correct.
        --

Comment

Hmmm, I don't know where you hits stand on this, but Russia is seriously throwing its weight around here. Only four million people in Georgia. Late last night the Russians tried to rush through a resolution suggesting the west step back and let them handle it, but thankfully the US and Britain said no to that.

This stinks of Russian hypocract yet again, they are saying that the south assetian nationals have a right to pick who they are governed by, but when kosovo split up they were not happy, and let's not even mention chechnia!

Also, as always these days, there is the oil. Georgia agreed to let a pipe line run south through its territory breaking up the monopoly Russia had in the region, that they were none to pleased about!

Now it appears that kazakastan is apparantly going to get a few shots of against Georgia....

Doesn't look good for the Georgians, no airforce, small army, no navy, not much chance! And all because they were trying to protect their own territory. Most of the people who run south ossetis are Russian officials drafted in, it could even be argued that this was in the planning for quite some time....

My to cents: Russia must be stopped, they have territorial claims over a lot of areas in Asia and East Europe. Now I'm not saying this will necessarily escalate, but who will ever trust Russia? The timing was very clever, Olympic games, most world leaders elsewhere. I believe the west must lean very forcefully on Russia.

Comment

Ugh, and right before the Olympics. I guess we need to kick Russia's ass in medal count.
            Skud

Comment

Isn't OGR set in 2008 and have russia back ossetian rebels and then roll in the tanks? :row__738:
              Your mouse has moved, please restart windows for the change to take effect.

Comment

Yeah, I've been kinda thinking that today too, trying to find the original storyline, but I know it started in April.

Also was just thinking how the Olympics used to be a time when Greece would call of all wars and have peace for the games. Sadly, that doesn't seem to be the way the world works anymore.

Comment

Hopefully the Orthodox Church in both Georgia and Russia will be able to have some sway here. I noted the very different rhetoric coming from Russia, to whit: "it is our sacred duty to protect our people, our constitution demands it" vs. Georgia: "the separatists attacked us fiorst, so we retaliated, and now Russia has bombed us".

It seems to be very similar to the situation in Israel and the occupied territories in that it would only take a very small provocation to get either side to react. Everyone is blaming rogue elements, and this in the same 24-hour period that Georgia declared a ceasefire?! Sounds like a classic situation of a third party fomenting conflict between two on-edge rivals who are perfectly willing to rapidly escalate their military response. Just one possibility: there are plenty of Islamic extremists who would love to get these two Christian countries to shed each other's blood. Not making any accusations, just noting the similarities to Israel and Palestine, Kosovo/Serbia/Bosnia, and the whodunit kind of statements coming from the parties involved.

The question is, who would profit from such an escalation? Certainly the S. Ossetians would not want to be caught in the crossfire. I wonder if, because Georgia is the third largest contributor of troops to Iraq (~2000 according to the AP), they believe they have the clout (i.e. US backing) to challenge Russia? The US have already trained some of their military. Do we have troops, materiel, and/or bases there? Would Russia choose NOW to try and make a clean break for S. O., who in all honesty, want to be in the Russian Federation? (my godfather lived there for three years, it's not just Russian officials at the top; they want independence under the protection of Russia)

Anyway, I hope the Church leaders will be able to bring peace, and appeal to the Orthodox soul these two deeply Christian countries have: Russia with over 1,000 years of Orthodox Christianity, and Georgia over 1,700 years!
                  sigpic

Living proof that "Teamplay ensmartens the idiotest of us!"

"

| | | | |

Comment

Re: Georgia attacks South O****a

This is all over oil and caviar. I love caviar, but not THAT much.

Want another laugh? Many "the sky is falling" environmentalist-types predicted this sort of violence regarding oil. It's only going to get worse and worse as time goes on. Especially with oil as expensive as it is right now. <sigh>

We desperately need alternative energy or personally I think this world is doomed by the next century.

Comment

Hmm...

Russia:Chechnya :: Georgia:S. Ossetia ?

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

I believe Georgia has nukes(leftovers from the Soviet era). I am however not certain of that.
                        --

Comment

The Georgian president just got approval from their senate for a 15 day declaration of war.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe...tia/index.html

It seems things are getting out of hand. I wonder how long Georgia can hold out against the Russian army if this turns into a full scale war.
                          "In general, our generals were outgeneralled"
                          -John Adams
                          "You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence."
                          -Charles Beard

Comment

This has the possibility of escalating into something huge if we (the US) or any other western country intervene in this against the Russians. Though this isn't exactly like it, this reminds me of the Mod for BF: Vietnam called POE.

Comment

The way its looking, nobody is going to intervene...which is unfortunate. Regardless of who shot first, Russia's going overboard (once again) with the rockets targeting civilian populations. It's tragic, but the only one who could intervene is the U.S. Unfortunately, Mr. Bush is either too intimidated by Mr. Putin, or is in bed with him, to do anything about this. Strong pleas to cease fire is about all we're going to get. Reports are already saying 2000 dead...that's in a matter of what? 2 days?
                              | | |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X