Beijing 2008

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beijing 2008

I haven't seen one second of the opening ceremonies, haven't viewed a single portion of any competition, but am already absolutely sick of hearing about the Olympics. If I hear any more about Chinese "national pride," I'm going to lose it. How can someone take pride in their government's ability to waste a bunch of money on a vain attempt at wowing foreign tourists?

The Olympics are a joke.
    A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Re: Beijing 2008

The opening ceremony was spectacular. I'm not too happy about China hosting the Olympics since I despise their gov't, but I'm hoping that politics stay out of the picture now that the games have started. If anything, I hope that people around the world will gain a better understanding of Chinese culture, and that China will be in the spotlight even more so w.r.t their human rights record.

And I agree that the money could have gone to better use. $40 billion is a hell of a lot of money, especially when such a huge proportion of the country's population is still in poverty.

BTW, the commentators in NBC suck. Too much incoherent babbling. It's hard to believe that the Chinese-language broadcasts are better.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

Link to opening ceremony here: http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/pla...d_ocb_hl_en197

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx View Post
        I haven't seen one second of the opening ceremonies, haven't viewed a single portion of any competition, but am already absolutely sick of hearing about the Olympics. If I hear any more about Chinese "national pride," I'm going to lose it. How can someone take pride in their government's ability to waste a bunch of money on a vain attempt at wowing foreign tourists?

The Olympics are a joke.
        "American Pride" is far more prominent than Chinese or any other national pride and the Americans don't even use an excuse like the Olympics to flaunt it! The eyes of the world are on China, I think we should let them have their moment.

Originally posted by tau
        The opening ceremony was spectacular. I'm not too happy about China hosting the Olympics since I despise their gov't, but I'm hoping that politics stay out of the picture now that the games have started.
        Initially I was disappointed that China were to host the Olympics for the same reason as you but now I see that with the event being held in China more pressure than ever is mounting on their government to improve it's human rights and environmental record. Maybe now we'll see more Chinese people being allowed to practice their religion and have the freedom of speech that the West love so much.

Comment

I'd just like everyone to bear in mind that the reason why China has come under fire form the media more than ever in the last 5 years or so is their growing dominance in the world, and the USA, along with Britain and many other countries are constantly attempting to put China down through the media since they are the biggest threat to the USA's dominance of the UN and the world powers.

That said I think the opening ceremony was spectacularly awesome, ruined by the so-called "impartial" BBC commentary which I found hugely insulting to China, with many subtle, and some not-so-subtle political and somewhat discriminatory remarks. I can only imagine how bad the USA's coverage would have been, but I'm just making assumptions. Hilarious how they first talked about "leaving out the politics"...and then going on to talk of just that pretty much the whole way through. Even still the ceremony was really great.

I agree China's human rights is bad, to say the least. Pollution, well of course there is, a developing country will produce much as it's growing at such a huge rate.
          Anger is a gift - Malcolm X

Comment

Tybalt you should really watch the opening ceremony. It was awe-inspiring. I was literally open jawed for most of the ceremony up until the Parade of Nations.

Regardless of 'Olympic Hype' or whatever, go watch the opening ceremony. I've never seen anything like it - just the opening sequence with the 2008 drummers playing was enough to hook me into watching the whole thing, fast forwarding through the 2 hour Parade of Nations though.
            Beatnik

Comment

Originally posted by Beatnik View Post
              Tybalt you should really watch the opening ceremony. It was awe-inspiring. I was literally open jawed for most of the ceremony up until the Parade of Nations.

Regardless of 'Olympic Hype' or whatever, go watch the opening ceremony. I've never seen anything like it - just the opening sequence with the 2008 drummers playing was enough to hook me into watching the whole thing, fast forwarding through the 2 hour Parade of Nations though.
              My thoughts exactly, I just wished the camera panned out a little more. The lighting and effects and everything combined in those wide shots looked amazingly composed. The parade with all the nations was obviously dull, but the lighting of the torch almost completely made up for it.
              Anger is a gift - Malcolm X

Comment

i cant' wait to watch the U.S. women's beach volleyball team. Not only are they hot, (did u check out the blonde, she makes all of them hot) but they are supposedly undefeated!!
                Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                Level I HazMat Technician
                NYS EMT-B
                Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

I was at the bars this weekend and they had some of the swimming on, and I look up and see my little sister's "arch rival" in swimming placing 4th in her heat. My sister just came back from nationals about a week ago where she placed in the top 16th for the country, and secured a spot for the winter nationals. They had told me that her "rival," Elizabeth Biesel (spelling) was gunning for a spot on the Olympic team, but seeing that she's there, it was one of those holy crap moments!

I've watched some of the events and a bit of the opening ceremony. I'm really interested to see how the rest of the world views China after all is said and done and see what they do in the coming years in regards to their quality of life, see if this affects it all and they listen to everyone else pressuring them.

Comment

So, they are now saying some of the opening ceremony was overlayed with video taken at a prior time. Who knows what else is going to turn up later.

Also, has anyone seen those 12 year-old gymnasts from the China team? Of course, they are 'officially' 16, but I can't imagine that a single person believes that.

Regarding the costs of the Olympics.. The Chinese have over a trillion dollars of reserves thanks to our ridiculous trade imbalance with them. The $40 billion spent on the Olympics is but a drop in the bucket.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Woah there, Tempus - not so fast.

For $40B, the could have built a thirty mile MagLev train!

Or, alternatively, they could buy General Motors, Ford, and still have $20B left over for a fifteen mile MagLev train.
                      A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

Comment

They still can, and might even. As is, they are already undertaking a massive 'relocation' of a major river that runs through their country.

What I'm saying is that the Chinese gov't didn't say, "Should we spend this $40billion on the Olympics or a MagLev train." They probably said, "Let's build a MagLev train after we showed them how much we can spend on the Olympics."

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Well, with the money the US saved by making use of the more efficient Chinese production abilities, we could probably build like way more MagLev trains than them. And we can host an Olympics every ten or fifteen years!

So hah! Joke's on them!

Comment

Except we don't... We use those 'savings' to buy more crap from them, thus perpetuating this vicious circle. :)

Comment

This thread is supposed to be about the virtues of the Olympics, which brings us all together! Not another debate about the evil trade deficit.

Get with the Olympic Spirit (c) Coca-Cola Corporation.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X