Game packaging

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game packaging

I recently bought Call of Duty 4, i opened up the box and was surprised to find that it was stuffed with cardboard. The jewel case was that semi clear plastic case that i used to get with all my games. It was nice and small and thin 4"x4" case. I'm just wondering why game companies are using bricks to hold their cd's when they are such a pain to store.

I'm griping about this since this house has a very large crate dedicated to holding these plastic bricks.
    |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Re: Game packaging

The packaging for software is all about visibility. The retailer wants to have as many products on the shelf as possible, the publishers want as much space devoted to themselves as possible. The packaging costs are insignificant because the dumb consumer will eat it.

Comment

P-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-product placement!

:D
      "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
      Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

The amount of packaging is ridiculous for such little product.

The orange box is the only success in packaging in the past millenia. When I went to the store to buy the Orange Box, I was afraid they were out. But alas, I saw the fluorescent orange a mile away :)
        Skud

Comment

The boxes they use now are amazingly small compared to the ones they used to use, if anyone can remember the old PC game boxes. They were probably a bit bigger than a high school textbook (so roughly 2x the size of today's boxes), but only contained what you get inside the boxes nowadays.
          [squadl]
          "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

In all fairness, King's Quest V required more than a dozen 3.5" floppies, so a box of that size and heft wasn't uncalled for.

Oh God I'm old.
            In game handle: Steel Scion
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler View Post
              In all fairness, King's Quest V required more than a dozen 3.5" floppies, so a box of that size and heft wasn't uncalled for.

Oh God I'm old.
              Yea, 3.5" (or even the dreaded 5.25") games needed bigger boxes due to the amount of disks, but even when they went to CD's it took them forever to downsize the boxes. Regardless, the King's Quest information was totally irrelevant because that series was lame. Quest for Glory was way better!

And now we're both old.
              [squadl]

Comment

Hey, I still have my King's Quest games (including that giant box). I loved that series. Space Quest rocked too. They were some big boxes, though. It was funny how Sierra games had the outer box, then the sleeve for the inner box, then that inner box. It was quite a chore getting into those things. Oh yeah, and then the 8 or so floppies to install. Great game, though. Showed off the glory of my VGA graphics card with it's mighty 256 color capability!
                "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Remember the good old days when they used to fill game boxes with comprehensive manuals, novellas, clothe maps, gimmicky toys, decoder rings, and ridiculous copy protection (I think one of the Ultima games actually came with a decoder wheel that you had to use to solve a puzzle in order to play the game).

I still have some of the neat stuff that used to be packaged with computer games. I'm seriously thinking about getting my old UO map framed.

Comment

Yeah, not too long ago that box used to be filled with stuff, of one variety or another. Nowadays you get a slim jewel case with a CD, and a slip of paper that says "the manual is in PDF form on the CD." And besides that its just empty space. ;)

Comment

This is a good thing, in that the material consumption is less, but I have to say I still enjoy flipping through the old big game manuals that came with games like Diablo, or even Wizardry 8! (Dare I mention Realms of Arkania II: StarTrail by SirTech? I dare.)

Old gamers unite.
                      sigpic

Living proof that "Teamplay ensmartens the idiotest of us!"

"

| | | | |

Comment

falcon 4.0 was a huge package, but you got a freakin flight manual with it. I bought the game for the binder....
                        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                        The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Bigger boxes are also harder to steal...

~ Draken

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
                            Nowadays you get a slim jewel case with a CD, and a slip of paper that says "the manual is in PDF form on the CD." And besides that its just empty space. ;)
                            You forgot about the half dozen ads for nVidia equipment and apparel.
                            [squadl]

Comment

The first time I opened a PC game that didn't have a manual I honestly thought someone made a mistake.

Here's an interesting bit on packaging -
                              http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3167646
                              Gigan - Shaman (Resto)
                              Pistos - Semi-retired Shadowpriest
                              ...and other distractions of various levels.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X