Nanny of the Year vs. Michael Phelps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nanny of the Year vs. Michael Phelps

Last edited by Nikolas; 08-15-2008, 10:12 PM.
    A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Re: Nanny of the Year vs. Michael Phelps

A carrot and potato sandwich?

Girlscouts need to give him a beatdown.

Comment

If you consume 12,000 calories you can be an Olympic champion too.

Comment

"Norotous food cop"?

Comment

They fixed the typo.
          A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

Comment

Using Phelps as an example is a idiotic.

Jacobson is correct for the amount of activity most Americans have.
            Im not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
            - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
            - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
            - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
            - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
            - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
            - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Really, Gringo? Bread, potatoes, and carrots?

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx View Post
                Really, Gringo? Bread, potatoes, and carrots?
                Yea, why not?

OK, maybe he is a bit extreme. But throw in some fruit, nuts, fish, chicken and a bit of dairy and that is pretty much my diet. And I have no problem keeping the weight on.

I don't really know about this Jacobson fellow. But I do believe his core message is correct. We Americans, on the whole, eat like crap and eat way to much for our activity level. I am overweight and I can rarely finish a typical restaurant meal. And after I ear it I usually feel very sluggish because of all the saturated fat and sugars in it.
                - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I don't think anyone has an issue with people counseling folks on dietary health. Getting the message out, trying to convert people into the various fads, heck even starting cults. Go for it.

The problem is that the Jacobson fellow wants to tax foods he doesn't like.

And the point of the photo, I believe, is to suggest that everyone is different; my buddies in the marines similarly eat 4-7k+ calories of fatty food a day just to maintain consistent weight. I personally have to eat lots and lots of high fat food just to keep above 5% body fat - dropping below that would be unhealthy.

We make our own decisions. Some may not be considered the best decisions, but that's the whole point, isn't it?

Comment

Phelps is pwned in this thread. Why?

Jacobsen makes a lot more money

-end of line

Comment

i've never heard of Jacobsen.

Therefore, Micheal phelps and his 14 size feet win.

Comment

I don't think anyone has an issue with people counseling folks on dietary health. Getting the message out, trying to convert people into the various fads, heck even starting cults. Go for it.

The problem is that the Jacobson fellow wants to tax foods he doesn't like.

And the point of the photo, I believe, is to suggest that everyone is different; my buddies in the marines similarly eat 4-7k+ calories of fatty food a day just to maintain consistent weight. I personally have to eat lots and lots of high fat food just to keep above 5% body fat - dropping below that would be unhealthy.

We make our own decisions. Some may not be considered the best decisions, but that's the whole point, isn't it?
                        The idea of taxing anything for some people is akin to dancing with the devil. For those people there is no discussion.

Most people do not have a problem with taxing certain substances. The tax on tobacco and alcohol is viewed by many as an acceptable thing. If a particular food is found to be generally unhealthy even if consumed in small amounts then placing a tax on it would not be crazy. Trans fats for example.

After all there are individuals that smoke and drink in large amounts and live a "normal" life span with no major illness. It is rare but does happen.

There is also the new study that showed that about 1/3 of overweight and obese people are pretty healthy with regard to blood pressure, cholesterol levels and such.

I don't know. If there is a large body of evidence that a particular substance is unhealthy for a large number of people I would rather see that substance taxed than banned outright.

The view point that we should do nothing at all is popular among many and I can sympathize with that viewpoint. It defiantly has a very basic, simple appeal. But I also think that viewpoint is more idealistic than piratical and ignores the reality of the world we live in.

The reality is we, as a nation, are always trying to better ourselves. Another reality is we have a health care problem. Some of this problem is cause by the food, what is in the food and the amount of food we eat.

Will taxes change this? I don't know. But I do think it should be part of the discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                          The view point that we should do nothing at all is popular among many and I can sympathize with that viewpoint. It defiantly has a very basic, simple appeal. But I also think that viewpoint is more idealistic than piratical and ignores the reality of the world we live in.
                          You know, it's funny - everything that you said here applies to the people who want to tax things which of which they do not personally approve.

The impulse to tax is:

-Basic
                          -Simple
                          -Emotional
                          -Idealistic
                          -Impractical
                          -Ignores reality and ignores subtlety

You yourself noted that many obese people lead perfectly healthy lives. We can also note that many people not only eat foods of which you do not approve, but indeed NEED to eat large amounts of the foods you do not approve of. This is far different from tobacco and alcohol, both of which NEVER have positive effects when consumed in large amounts - these foods can be REQUIRED in large doses for some people.

But ultimately, I suppose that to some people, the idea of letting people make their own decisions in life is akin to dancing with the devil. The appeal to force other people to better their life to the advantage of society as a whole is a basic appeal which people probably can't be talked out of. It is, unfortunately, an idealistic appeal which is impractical and ignores the reality of most situations, and it's unfortunate that we will forever have folks which spend their time trying to force others to live by their own standards.

Comment

But ultimately, I suppose that to some people, the idea of letting people make their own decisions in life is akin to dancing with the devil. The appeal to force other people to better their life to the advantage of society as a whole is a basic appeal which people probably can't be talked out of. It is, unfortunately, an idealistic appeal which is impractical and ignores the reality of most situations, and it's unfortunate that we will forever have folks which spend their time trying to force others to live by their own standards.
                            Exactly. Two sides of the same coin and the source of the democratic struggle.

Neither side is correct. Neither side is wrong.

No society, no matter how primitive. let people decide what is best for themselves. The only thing that varies is the methods used to shape the behavior of others.

Comment

Except that allowing people to eat a hamburger for dinner free from coercion is not idealistic. Allowing someone to eat a burger is realistic. It's practical. It's not demeaning. It's better.

Bon apptit!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X