Saddleback Church Presidential Forum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saddleback Church Presidential Forum

OK, this was a forum on leadership and compassion. Straight questions, straight answers. Obama and McCain were asked the same questions separately and presented back-to-back.

I was very impressed with this format.

Did anyone else see it? It's running now for the second time tonight, but I haven't been able to track down the link for a full stream of the interviews.

Edit: BTW Do not post on this thread if you did not watch the forum, or if you only saw parts of the forum, OR.. if you just saw pundit responses to this forum.
    Last edited by P8riot; 08-17-2008, 12:52 AM.
    sigpic

Re: Saddleback Church Presidential Forum

I watched it through. I liked the format and I thought Mr. Warren was a good moderator (I do think it was unfair that McCain was allowed a few more questions among which was a security v freedom question).

I thought Obama answered more directly than did McCain. Mr. Warren was emphatic about not delivering stump speeches, but should have also clarified that participants must answer the questions instead of avoiding them. On the question of which SupCo justice the nominee would NOT have nominated, I found it unnerving that McCain simply chose to reject the "liberals" in the court.

It's my pet peeve when politicians avoid answering questions posed to them ESPECIALLY in a forum or debate. McCain, I felt, was guilty of this. (EXAMPLES: Not giving a number amount income for defining rich, not giving an example of when security and liberties "collide.")

I found it ironic that Sen. McCain promoted "defeating" all evil in a more philosophical question and then went on to suggest a rather spineless approach to intervention in Darfur where the US would only provide logistics and not manpower. Having someone else vanquish your evil for you seems a little weak if you are indeed going for full evil eradication here.

I am sorry I criticized McCain here instead of Obama. I guess that's a product of my political leanings. I will focus more on Obama in another post.

Also, I suggest everyone watch this forum. It was about much more than faith and religious issues.
    The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving.

I
    #83 of 213 things you cannot do in the army.
    83. Must not start any SITREP (Situation Report) with "I recently had an experience I just had to write you about...."

Comment

I haven't seen it yet, but I've been hearing good things about it, so I may have to track down a copy. Anyone having any luck finding a link yet?

Comment

Search "saddleback civil forum" on Youtube and you will get 8 different videos (four parts per candidate)
        The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving.

I
        #83 of 213 things you cannot do in the army.
        83. Must not start any SITREP (Situation Report) with "I recently had an experience I just had to write you about...."

Comment

My 3 biggest problems with it were:

1) Question to Obama: "What was an instance where you went against your personal interests to server the greater good?"

Question to McCain: "What was an instance where you went against your personal interests or your partys to server the greater good?"

Total set up for McCain

2) Q: "At what point does a baby get rights"

loaded question, it should have been: "At what point does a clump of cells become a baby?"

3) Obama would give long thought out answers and the crowd would applaud politely. McCain wouldnt even let the question be asked and just yell "Id follow him to the gates of hell!" or "At conception!" and the crowd would wildly applaud. And when McCain started his "drill here drill now" thing, I thought he was joking at first... I was wrong.

not the most balanced crowd.

it was stupid for Obama to go at all. especially with some preacher asking the questions.

Comment

I have found that many people I know, were swayed from their staunch republican stance for McCain. All of whom were also in the faithful conservative, white, middle/upper class, and Christian demographic.

Which is what prompted me to post on the subject - to get a little broader scope of responses.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by teratoma View Post
              it was stupid for Obama to go at all. especially with some preacher asking the questions.
              Watching it now.

But it wasn't stupid. Even if all Obama did was convince a bunch of republicans that he isn't the devil incarnate he succeeds. He doesn't need to get them to vote for him. All he has to do is get them not to vote for McCain.
              Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
              - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
              - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
              - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
              - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
              - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
              - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I watched 90% of it (I missed the beginning and first part of Obama's 'session'). I thought it was interesting, but probably not for the same reasons that most people would or did.

I thought the forum itself - an Evangelical Church - was a bit odd due to the fact that neither of the candidates are Evalgelicals. Watching the candidates being interviewed by a pastor struck me as misplaced. The forum, to me, only served as a constant and uncomfortable reminder that the Evangelical church in America seems to think the church carries more weight than it does; or if it indeed does, more than it should. It's easy to claim that you practice tolerance when you're the one on top - try watching things from a different perspective and you may feel otherwise.

The format - expose-style question and answer while the other candidate supposedly sat backstage with headphones on - seemed a combination of soft and gimmicky. One could have easily scheduled the candidates on different days and all that would have been missed was the pre-event photo op. Substance-wise, it made no difference whatsoever. This was not a debate, it was an Evangelical talk show.

The issues presented (through the questions asked) were the most interesting to me - even more, in some cases, than the actual answers. The issues important to the Evangelical church actually span America's traditional party lines in terms of traditional values. Republicans traditionally support anti-abortion laws and are against homosexual marriage, but Democrats traditionally support environmental legislation (global warming/emission reduction) and subscribe to human rights and religious freedom as strong factor in international diplomacy. Both candidates in this forum tried to pander to both, leaving any voters no better off than where they were before in terms of deciding who to believe.

In 2000, Bush Jr. claimed he was pro-American, pro-environment, pro-education, bipartisan and anti-evil. The Evangelical vote backed him like a racehorse, even without this forum or the momentum of the Saddleback Church. So, is this really an effective method of presenting and evaluating candidates? I would argue that it is no more effective than most others - just a bit more uncomfortable.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X