X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russia threatens Poland

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satelli...cle%2FShowFull

My favorite part:
    A top Russian general said Friday that Poland's agreement to accept a US missile defense battery exposes the country to attack, pointing out that Russian military doctrine permits the use of nuclear weapons in such a situation, the Interfax news agency reported.

Re: Russia threatens Poland

They are just talking big-mouthed; maybe they are angry about all the sanctions they got out of their attack on Georgia, and don't want that their power is weakened further. They'd never risk a war with the NATO (which the use of nuclear weapons would clearly be a declaration of, especially in this situation).

Comment

I would never say never.

Comment

Russia right now is really hurting. They have been left out of many negotiations and talks in that area of the world. They still think they are the USSR and are able to just steam roll anyone they do not like. And are still very upset about the whole serbia deal. And considering the Iraqi red guard was fit with complete Russian equipment and the USA steam rolled it, they are looking to build some sort of military strength again.

And considering the US is basically its only "friend", id say they are gonna get some bad deals from the EU. Who have been just looking to smack Russia back into place.

And consider the whole Georgian conflict did not net the results they where looking for id be they are looking for another country or countries to attack.
        that sounds like a good idea trooper.
        -Vulcan

Comment

They wouldn't mess with NATO countries, but they will mouth off about them.

Comment

NATO said today that they would not continue "normal business" with Russia until the done as agreed and pulled out of Georgia. Now I am not to worried about Russia trying anything silly with NATO, but it is worth saying like this is looking like a step back to the bad old days. Also, the biggrey contributers to NATO, the US, UK and Canada are all involved in the middle east and could do without the distraction, and it looks like Europe will be considering its approach to Afghanistan due to the French getting mauled there yesterday. Also, I don't know how well known it is outside of the UK, but Russia has again stepped up its aggressive patrols north of Scotland, coming near to UK airspace and having to be escourted out by the typhoons. Getting more and more interesting...

Comment

Well last I heard the spy game is not going to well either... According to some news show I saw some time back (sorry can't remember which or when) there are some in the US government that say that the current level of espionage by foreign powers inside the United States is equal to or maybe even greater then levels during the peak of the cold war.

Wait found part of the story, thanks Google...
              http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=10785968

Anyways... Russia in my mind is trying to reassert itself as a world power, the President of Georga was a fool to tempt them, and we (the US) have our hands full with everything else that there is nothing we could do if we wanted to...

I doubt that anyone in Russia is crazy enough to press the preverbal "big red button," but they want us to think that they are. I only hope that people will come to their senses and figure this out soon. I don't know about you, but the idea of a second cold war SUCKS!

~ Draken

EDIT: Just found another story... Things are not looking good.

Russia warns Ukraine to back off at navy base
              http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26297476/
              Last edited by DrakenViator; 08-20-2008, 12:27 AM.

Comment

The european powers have many millions of young men to add to the mix when they please. The wheel is turning slowly, but it has definitely begun to turn, I think. Read up on your history people. War's a' comin', I fear, and not the sort of war that has my liberal friends' panties in a wad, but the real deal.

There is still plenty of time to avoid war provided the great powers respond to the threats with strength, but I fear we will see accommodations and appeasements, which historically have resulted in bloody wars. I am re-reading "The Gathering Storm" right now as I sit on a runway in Newark for God-knows-how-much-longer, and encourage all to read it. It's chilling and relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by leejo View Post
                  The european powers have many millions of young men to add to the mix when they please. The wheel is turning slowly, but it has definitely begun to turn, I think. Read up on your history people. War's a' comin', I fear, and not the sort of war that has my liberal friends' panties in a wad, but the real deal.
                  Spoken like a true Republican. ;)

The fact is war is always on it's way. Peace requires work, war is the easy way. Many of those that acquire power are looking to exert it in some way.

The trick is to have leaders that can keep the peace. That are willing to do the required work. Leaders that can rally enough force behind them so that they can dissuade those that seek to start a fight.
                  Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                  - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                  - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                  - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                  - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                  - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                  - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                    The trick is to have leaders that can keep the peace. That are willing to do the required work. Leaders that can rally enough force behind them so that they can dissuade those that seek to start a fight.
                    I agree with this. Negotiating from a position of strength is always helpful. Merely wanting peace is insufficient.

Comment

I agree with this. Negotiating from a position of strength is always helpful. Merely wanting peace is insufficient.
                      Of course they must desire to actually negotiate. Just making unreasonable demands then using force when the demands are not fulfilled in total is not negotiation. It's asking for a fight.

I hope our leaders know this.
                      Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

There is still plenty of time to avoid war provided the great powers respond to the threats with strength, but I fear we will see accommodations and appeasements, which historically have resulted in bloody wars. I am re-reading "The Gathering Storm" right now as I sit on a runway in Newark for God-knows-how-much-longer, and encourage all to read it. It's chilling and relevant.
                        I can dig this, Russia has to see we are, hrmm, weak isn't the right word, maybe the phrase "stretched to our current limitations" is a better way to put it, so they can afford to be more pushy. Unless CNN stopped broadcasting to Russia, they have to know the American people are concerned with getting out of a war, not getting into another one, so that's a good signal for them to push a little in their old territories. They start piling up a whole bunch of little fires so when the new president comes in office whomever it is a few issues are going to slip between the cracks and they will be able to attain a large upper hand. It would take a focusing event to get the american public to really care about these far-off places. A bet a solid 1/3 of americans couldnt find ukrane on a map, let alone care whether or not they join NATO.

As for Europe standing up, well they have a long and detailed history of hanging their brother and sister countrys out to dry until that "regional conflict" spills into their front yard, and by then it's to late to forstall anything. Europe is going to take it's lead from those of us on this side of the pond, and do you really think the US has any sabers to rattle over there right now? Plus, what does Russia really want? Their old USSR borders back with all the satellite country's under their flag? More access to warm water naval bases? They certainly can't want territory, they have plenty of that unused already inside their borders. Do they really feel threatened by the missile defense systems that we want to put in countrys near their border or is that just lip-service?

Then we get to how do we show strength, deploy an Armored corps? I'm sure we have plenty of them sitting around doing nothing right now. More airplanes (which probably is what is ticking them off in the first place)? Convince NATO to do a joint exercise with the Ukranians? (I'm sure the Russians would love to see Germans right next door again, and I wonder what the Ukranians think about that prospect? You tend to have a long memory when someone attacks and occupies your country, and kills off a not-insignificant percentage of your population no matter how many years pass when you thought they were "liberating you".) What are you willing to give away to calm things down? Stop eastward expansion of NATO and let those countries decide their own fates? (which in effect is the same as telling Russia we dont care what happens there, isn't it?) Today most Americans would say the #1 foriegn policy directive should be to withdraw from our current war, you lay this stuff on them and you will get a big "who cares" as your answer in general, like it or not.

Like it or not, I think we have to sit on the sidelines in Act I of "The wheel is Turning Slowly". The best we can hope for is the American people get interested by Act II or Act III and that is still early enough in the show to stop it before it gets worse.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X