drinking age = 18? could be...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drinking age = 18? could be...

tuned into the local radio talk station (minneapolis/saint paul's KTLK 100.3) and they were real deep into conversation about a law that might be passed lowering the drinking age back to 18... anyone for this? against this? reasons?

personally, it doesnt matter for me anymore, ask me 4 years ago and id be all for it, 19 would be a better age because 99% (except super seniors) would be out of high school by then, and the 18-20 age group wouldnt have to binge drink becasue they dont have access to booze 24/7
    powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Re: drinking age = 18? could be...

Legal drinking age in Canada is 19 or 18 (depends on the Province). Nothing wrong with it.

Comment

"If you can die for your country, you ought to be able to have a beer in it as well." sums it up perfectly.
      sigpic

Comment

It's bad enough going on facebook and seeing pictures of disgusting slutty girls getting drunk around 40 year old men....

Eh, why not. I'll be 40 someday too.
        Skud

Comment

Never done me any harm! But its all what you make it and people are different! Our love of the drink is well known, but there are asshats everywhere who would go crazy on it....

Comment

Drinking, sex, ability to sign contracts, voting, driving, etc. should all be tied to capability, not age. Pass a test and you get all of them at once. Fail and you're legally a child. (I think we should include the ability to program a VCR in the test. :p)
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I've always believed it should be 18. That way, it's not as big of a deal to people when they're around alcohol. I take Europe as an example. Alcohol is a part of their culture. Most of their countries have a low drinking age. I totally believe that 18-20 year olds go crazy and binge drink when alcohol is around. It's because they can't get it whenever they want. In fact, I don't ever like drinking when minors are drinking around me. I've straight kicked minors out of parties of mine before. Why? First off, I don't want to be responsible for some minor I don't even know getting a DUI or in a wreck. Second of all, they usually go way to crazy with the booze and act like idiots.

My biggest problem with the 21 rule, is that we've had soldiers die in Iraq/Afghanistan before ever getting their first legal beer. That's messed up. At least I've seen legislation proposed that would allow 18+ military members to drink legally.
              "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

It used to be 18 - what drove the change to 21?

Comment

I bet the Girls Gone Wild guys are loving this!
                  | | |

Comment

The change was driven by the feds requiring that states set their drinking age to 21 in order to receive highway funding.

I doubt the initiative will succeed as state legislators are far more likely to value millions in highway funding over the crys of college age drunkards who will continue to drink regardless of the law.
                    |TG|Switch

Better known as:
                    That noob who crashed the chopper.
                    That noob who ran over the mine.
                    That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
                    That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

I don't honestly care what the age is. It's only going to affect my friends and not me. If i came home drunk or smelling of cigarettes, my father would beat the living $%@* out of me.

I'm older that 80% of the people in my grade (started school late since i was way to small). That means i get to drive, smoke, drink, and have sex legally before anyone else. Does this make me want to be the guys thats always buying stuff for my underage friends. No. It makes me want to be the one that drives people back home when they all went to a crazy party.
                      |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                        Drinking, sex, ability to sign contracts, voting, driving, etc. should all be tied to capability, not age. Pass a test and you get all of them at once. Fail and you're legally a child. (I think we should include the ability to program a VCR in the test. :p)
                        UM VCR...what's that? Does anyone still have those...Showing your age Scratch....LOL!

How about setting up a media player to hook into your home media server network.

Also on some military bases the under 21 crowd was still allowed to drink. As someone stated before...allowed to defend the country, allowed to drink.

Play MySpace games? PeepsDepot.com to get all the Peeps you need for any game!

Wii# 5935-7920-5346-8754 | PS3:TheeShadyB | XBOX 360:TheeShadyB

Comment

If parents would just sit down and actually drink with their kids in a responsible way much of the problem would be solved.

I am serious.
                          Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                          - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                          - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                          - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                          - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                          - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                          - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

The push for this is from colleges across the country, wanting to ease the strain it puts on them, having to separate and treat their students: 21+ or not.

Me, I just turned 21, I've drank before I turned, and even before I turned 21. I know for me, I drank a bit stupidly when I was like 18-19, but that was mostly due to the crowd I was around.

I'd love to see it turn to 18, but it would be quite a hard adjustment for the country I think. Over in Europe and other countries with lower drinking ages, they supposedly don't have nearly as hard of a problem with underage kids drinking themselves stupid. If it was more of a part of our culture and parents took the time to teach their kids to act responsibly, then we would never had had this issue.

If I end up having kids, I'll let them have a beer or two with me on their birthday's in their later-teen years if they want to, irregardless of the accepted legal age.

Comment

18 as a legal drinking age is just fine. You can vote, you can smoke, you can go to X-rated movies and strip clubs. Why shouldnt you be able to drink? The reason for having to be 21 is as switch said, for highway funding. But that's an antiquated and easily changeable law. Hell, once upon a time we had a national speed limit of 55 for similar reasons, and that went by the wayside.

It's about responsibility. Colleges have to do as said, separate their students into two factions: 21+ and under 21. It's a problem seeing as the two groups have to intermingle in classes and social situations. They're inevitably going to hang out together and do the same things. You really think an 18 year old kid hanging out with his 21 year old friend is going to not drink at a party because it's illegal? No. He's going to do as he pleases because the odds of college parties getting busted up and everyone hauled off to jail are about on par with getting hit by a bus. Generally the cops come, tell everyone to quiet down, or just break up the party and send everyone home. The only people that ever get busted are the ones being belligerent or stupidly obvious with their transgressions.

Personally, I started drinking at 15. I drank with my parents at dinner. I drank with my friends at parties. But we were responsible with it as much as kids could be. All keys were put in a fishbowl and everyone pulled up a section of floor or got a safe ride when it was late. My parents had a great policy: I could call them anytime, anywhere and they'd give me a ride home and not say a word. Why? Sure, I was underage, but I did the responsible thing by getting a safe ride home rather than driving drunk. I also had free license to drink at home whenever I pleased and could invite my friends over to do the same, because it was supervised and done in a mature manner.

Having been there, theres very little difference between 18 and 21 year olds. You dont start to grow up until you get out of college and start having to survive without the mommy and daddy safety net. It would make things a hell of a lot simpler.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X