Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parenting or lack thereof

http://kotaku.com/5037975/parents-le...on-guitar-hero

Yeah...wow. Chik-Fil-A's eh... I guess you could theoretically feed a family with that... -_-

sigpic

Donate Blood. Ask for a gun and a bucket.

Re: Parenting or lack thereof

I guess if they keep it up with the tutors and make sure he graduates, I suppose it's not really all that different than any other parents that home school their children. It seems to me that the writer of the story makes it sound like the parents let him quit school to be a professional gamer. But reading between the lines, it sounds like they did it to shut him up, figuring he'd probably just start skipping or something anyway if they forced him to go.

Would I allow any of my children to stay home every day to play a video game...no. If my 16 year old was putting such a high priority on gaming versus school, his games would be taken away until he got his priorities straightened out.
    Last edited by BigMcLarge; 08-21-2008, 04:06 PM. Reason: Apparently I dropped out of school...horrible typos.
    |TG-55| Infantry Division - Former Captain

Comment

this is exactly what is wrong with today's parents, not kids, parents.

One reason i dint become a cop or teacher, i would smacked the **** out of some parent.
      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
      -Vulcan

Comment

Woh. That's pretty funny. Reminds me of the South Park episode where the kids go pro with their leet GH skills.
        Go to http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/127947 to watch the full episode.
        "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Every species needs to be varied in order to maximize it's survivability.
          Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
          - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
          - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
          - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
          - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
          - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
          - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I'm just not going to send my four year old to school... I am starting her training in 2142. I figure in 20-30 years that expert knowledge in one video game will support her for the rest of her life.
            Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
              Every species needs to be varied in order to maximize it's survivability.
              Yes, and later in his life, this boy will probably suffer under the little bit natural selection still left for us humans.

Comment

I homeschool my two kids, and they get 1/2 hour per day of computer--only if they did chores/ schoolwork--and sometimes some time on the Wii if they did extra chores.

Indeed, way too many parents don't know how to say no or even that they should.

Problems I see:
                1. Following the child's lead and catering to their demands instead of requiring the child to put aside personal whims and put the good of the whole family and community first

2. Inconsistency with making and enforcing basic rules, and not giving clear explanation for why a rule exists

3. Saying a child should do this or that, but not modeling it in their own behavior

4. Being afraid to be firm, allow natural consequences to occur for the child's bad choices, and rescuing them from life lessons

All this leads to a child thinking the world ought to cater to them, that rules are nonsensical and nothing happens when you break them, thinking adulthood means freedom from rules, and that adults are hypocrites, and assuming that if something bad does occur because of their actions, somehow they'll be rescued in the end from having to pay for it.

These conditions of the human soul allows the birth of a Nihilistic world-view, leads to a retarded communal consciousness, and the loss of one's place in the societal framework. The death of society is not far behind when these conditions become pervasive.

Today's "norm" is not normal at all. Not by a long shot.
                sigpic

Living proof that "Teamplay ensmartens the idiotest of us!"

"

| | | | |

Comment

My 81 year old mom has all but dropped out of life to take care of her 11 cats. Any chance Blake could move in with her?

She's in reasonably good shape, but has a lot of back pain and prefers not to drive. So I do her weekly grocery shopping and bring her a huge load of cat food a couple times a month. When she gets done with her daily litter box duty, she plays Mahjong on the computer and watches TV.
                  Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Is dropping out to play guitar hero any worse of a reason the the others have for dropping out? High school isnt hard. Trust me i just got out. All you really have to do is show up and not totally bomb the tests and you will be fine. i know people that only showed up half the time and still graduated. how do you explain that?

http://nces.ed.gov/ssbr/pages/dropoutrates.asp?IndID=26

This shows the dropout rates for highschool students in 2002

It was about 10% across the board. slightly higher for minority students. I can say that in my school it was probably more around 20% but i cant be sure. The guitar hero reason is just as stupid as any other. But this kids parents were pretty dumb to allow him to do this simply because they were "tired of his complaining" if all parents did what we wanted because we were always complaining i don't think we would have eaten to many vegetables.
                    "In general, our generals were outgeneralled"
                    -John Adams
                    "You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence."
                    -Charles Beard

Comment

Originally posted by Axis of Eeevil View Post
                      I homeschool my two kids, and they get 1/2 hour per day of computer--only if they did chores/ schoolwork--and sometimes some time on the Wii if they did extra chores.

Indeed, way too many parents don't know how to say no or even that they should.

Problems I see:
                      1. Following the child's lead and catering to their demands instead of requiring the child to put aside personal whims and put the good of the whole family and community first

2. Inconsistency with making and enforcing basic rules, and not giving clear explanation for why a rule exists

3. Saying a child should do this or that, but not modeling it in their own behavior

4. Being afraid to be firm, allow natural consequences to occur for the child's bad choices, and rescuing them from life lessons

All this leads to a child thinking the world ought to cater to them, that rules are nonsensical and nothing happens when you break them, thinking adulthood means freedom from rules, and that adults are hypocrites, and assuming that if something bad does occur because of their actions, somehow they'll be rescued in the end from having to pay for it.

These conditions of the human soul allows the birth of a Nihilistic world-view, leads to a retarded communal consciousness, and the loss of one's place in the societal framework. The death of society is not far behind when these conditions become pervasive.

Today's "norm" is not normal at all. Not by a long shot.
                      Applause

I totally agree and I'm heartened to see someone else that runs their family similar to how I run mine. I say this, because I know were a minority.
                      ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                      No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
                        Woh. That's pretty funny. Reminds me of the South Park episode where the kids go pro with their leet GH skills.
                        Go to http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/127947 to watch the full episode.
                        That was worth it just for the Coloraod references....yeah!
                        New to TG?

Comment

Those parents obviously weren't beaten when they were children.
                          Skud

Comment

As my father said to me and his father said to him and his father to him.......

"There is a line..... you have the choice to step over that line if you like, but you will only do it once, therefore I strongly advise against it. This is my house and therefore you will live by my rules, if you choose to move out and pay your own way, you can do what you like"

I only ever stepped over the line once or twice and by hell, did I get it! Yes the average "oh you must not dicipline your child with violence" parent, will never understand this, but I knew very quickly where the line was and I look upon my father now as the perfect role model, hopefully I may have the opportunity one day to take his example for my own family when I have one.

The odd swift bit of discipline did me no harm whatsoever. He never abused me nor was he excessive, but I knew never to cross him.

When I was 18, he came in having had a few too many beers and drove MY car which he had borrowed as his was in the service shop, back from work. That day I went "Toe to Toe" with him about drinking and driving and he knew I was prepared to TRY to beat some sense into him (would have failed miserably, but the intention was there) and from that day, he sticked to the limit for drinking and driving. So the tables had turned and now he knew were the line was again. It was from this day that we also became best mates, more than father and son.

So, Parents DO have to set some rules and childen DO need to learn that they do not yet have the wisdom to make learned choices until later in life. I.e. stick to the rules ya bad tempered spoilt brat! "Clipp" ;)
                            BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...