Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police tell owners "we're inspecting your guns"

http://worldnetdaily.com/index.php?f...e&pageId=72906

Oklahoma police investigating the shooting deaths of two girls have told area residents with guns to bring them in for a test to determine whether they were used in the attack, sparking concern among those who own guns for hunting and self-defense.

According to reports in the Tulsa World the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation sent letters to members of the community who were registered as owning .40-caliber handguns suggesting they voluntarily bring in their gun or guns for a test.

The individuals who were "invited" to bring their guns in but didn't now will be included in the ongoing investigation, as well as people who were identified by former owners as having purchased that type of weapon recently, authorities said.
    What do you all think of this? I personally wouldn't cooperate with this, simply because the logic being used here is ridiculous. Imagine if this had happened in a major city and the police there came up with this assenine idea? How many people do you think own .40 s&w in a city? Probably thousands. And most of them probably shoot them frequently too. How is having all of these people who don't agree to it being investigated a proper use of tax money? Unless someone is identified as a suspect, I see no reason why they should be investigated based on their owning a weapon in the same caliber as what was used in a crime.

Re: Police tell owners "we're inspecting your guns"

Good news, lawful citizen, you're guilty until proven innocent.

Comment

Wow. Uhh i really wouldn't know what to say to the person who came up with this idea. I mean wow. Uh...wow. Im speechless.
      "In general, our generals were outgeneralled"
      -John Adams
      "You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence."
      -Charles Beard

Comment

No, this wouldn't fly in a big city, but considering the population of Weleetka, OK is only around 1,014...I don't think its an outrageous idea if it helps bring to justice the killer(s). And also, just because you're involved with an ongoing investigation does not in any way mean you are presumed guilty.
        | | |

Comment

I think it's rediculous... the killer probably ain't coming in with his guns, just honest good gun owners... no way.

IMO
          Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum50 View Post
            I think it's rediculous... the killer probably ain't coming in with his guns, just honest good gun owners... no way.

IMO
            I think that's the whole point though, don't you? I'm sure these guys don't really believe the killer is going to come in with the murder weapon. They're probably just trying to refine their list of suspects...you know...narrow the search. Which in a town that small, I'm sure the list is already pretty small.
            | | |

Comment

Originally posted by Atomic Dog View Post
              No, this wouldn't fly in a big city, but considering the population of Weleetka, OK is only around 1,014...I don't think its an outrageous idea if it helps bring to justice the killer(s). And also, just because you're involved with an ongoing investigation does not in any way mean you are presumed guilty.
              That would be like if there was a rape the police demanding semen samples from all the men in the city. Its not going to bring any justice. Obviously sense they (the police in that city) are resorting to this it means they have no leads at all. Maybe they aren't very good cops.
              -John Adams
              "You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence."
              -Charles Beard

Comment

No, it's not like that at all. The fact is that most every male produces semen. However, in Weleteeka, OK with a population of 1,014 only a certain percentage of those semen producing men are going to own .40 caliber weapons.

EDIT: And as a parent, if it were my daughter who had been raped, I'd have no problem with every man in a 100 mile radius of her being forced to submit semen for investigation.
                | | |

Comment

No, it's not like that at all. The fact is that most every male produces semen. However, in Weleteeka, OK with a population of 1,014 only a certain percentage of those semen producing men are going to own .40 caliber weapons.

EDIT: And as a parent, if it were my daughter who had been raped, I'd have no problem with every man in a 100 mile radius of her being forced to submit semen for investigation.
                  What about guys with ED? You are defending a crazy idea( im not saying you are crazy) from cops that dont know what they are doing. Whos to say the killer wasnt from out of town?

And with that Example you are bringing Emotion into the realm of justice and that is not where it belongs. Your daughter being rapped does not negate the rights of everyone no matter how horrible a crime it would be.

My house was robbed but does that mean i should be able to go into all of my neighbors homes and look for my stuff? No.
                  -John Adams
                  -Charles Beard

Comment

Again, we're not talking about robbery or rape, we're talking about double homicide in a small town. They know what kind of weapon they're looking for, so I'm sure they're just trying to narrow down the list of suspects at this point. It's not a crazy idea, unorthodoxed certainly, but if it helps them find the killer...I say go for it.
                    | | |

Comment

Again, we're not talking about robbery or rape, we're talking about double homicide in a small town. They know what kind of weapon they're looking for, so I'm sure they're just trying to narrow down the list of suspects at this point. It's not a crazy idea, unorthodoxed certainly, but if it helps them find the killer...I say go for it.
                      I would be kind of fine with it if it didnt make the people who didnt comply essentially suspects. Thats my real issue with this. Not so much that they are asking but that they will investigate you if you dont comply. I think its unreasonable and frightening because if they get away with this i wouldn't be surprised to see a trend emerge of similar acts around the country. Agree to disagree i guess but i doubt this will really help them find the guy. (most murders aren't done with registered legal guns anyway)
                      -John Adams
                      -Charles Beard

Comment

No, it's not like that at all. The fact is that most every .40 caliber gun owner has a .40 caliber gun. However, in Weleteeka, OK, with a population of 1,014, only a certain percentage of those people are able to produce semen.

Logic FTW. :row__531:
                        Become a supporting member!
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Which is why we have a judicial system, and not a random assemblage of lynch mobs.
                          In game handle: Steel Scion
                          sigpic

Comment

There is a difference between "suspected" and "we should investigate further."

This area's entire population is smaller than my high school's graduating class.

If the girls had been hit by a car and it had left red paint only used by Ford, police would be well within their rights to go ask citizens who have registered red Fords to voluntarily allow their cars to be inspected. If a partial license plate had been witnessed, the same goes.

This action is not unreasonable. Refusal to volunteer doesn't create probable cause for a warrant. The fact that so many people panic at this thought actually works to law enforcement's advantage. Think about how many times you've watched a show like Cops and an officer says "do you mind if I look in your car" and a guy who knows there is crack on the passenger seat still says "sure, I don't mind."

Many, many criminals are stupid. I don't have a problem with using this against them. The 4th Amendment hasn't been breached in this case, and so far there is no reason to believe it will be.

Two weapons were used. The police claim they know the actual make of the .40-caliber handgun now, which I'm mildly surprised at. They have shell casings, and they have a description of at least one person of interest.

Not every investigative technique needs to involve a warrant. I don't have a problem with a healthy distrust of the government, but I also don't have a problem with the government asking citizens for help. In this case, 2/3 of the .40-caliber handguns in the area can be accounted for.

I don't think this is the way I would have gone about conducting the investigation, but what do I know? With so many of those guns ruled out, and knowing there is a tire track from the scene, and a description of a person of interest...I'm sure the narrower the lens gets, either everyone will be ruled out, or more of the picture will come together.
                            ---
                            Sources say the Dow Jones' decline is directly related to Dethklok front-man Nathan Explosion's constant deleting of potential new albums.

Comment

Originally posted by Switchcraft View Post
                              This action is not unreasonable. Refusal to volunteer doesn't create probable cause for a warrant.
                              I agree with most of your post, but probable cause is based on a "totality of circumstances" and refusing to volunteer will surely become one of the circumstances. This is NOT good police work and if allowed to continue will result in a serious loss of rights.
                              Become a supporting member!
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!
                              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X