Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas Truant Students To Be Tracked By GPS Anklets!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas Truant Students To Be Tracked By GPS Anklets!

SAN ANTONIO, Texas Court authorities here will be able to track students with a history of skipping school under a new program requiring them to wear ankle bracelets with Global Positioning System monitoring.

But at least one group is worried the ankle bracelets will infringe on students' privacy.

Linda Penn, a Bexar County justice of the peace, said she anticipates that about 50 students from four San Antonio-area school districts likely to be mostly high schoolers will wear the anklets during the six-month pilot program announced Friday. She said the time the students wear the anklets will be decided on a case-by-case basis.
    http://news.yahoo.com/story//ap/2008...toring_truants

Step two, inject RFID chips into all students in kindergarten. Hell, why wait that long? Lets do it at birth!

I'm shocked and.. wait, no, I'm not shocked. I'm still appalled, but not shocked. This is typical.

The texas school system needs to be replaced. Well, maybe the entire US school system needs to be replaced. Rather than having crappy schools that students don't want to go to, but are forced to, we should have private schools that we are able to select from and the government should provide students with vouchers that can be given to whatever school they choose to attend. The schools can then redeem these as payment.

also, read this
    http://www.local6.com/education/17035594/detail.html

Re: Texas Truant Students To Be Tracked By GPS Anklets!

Absolutely positively stupid, It was stupid with dogs, it's stupid with humans.
    Me - I'll Just blame bush.
    Disciple - Bush? Is that some sort of slang for women? - Hahaha I love disciple.

btw Bush = worst president ever.

Comment

SCHOOL IS A PRISON. Maybe they should try filling school with a little less bullspit so kids will want to attend it. i almost feel sorry for the higher ups in these schools. theyre so out of touch with the kids that its disgusting. instead of making them want to go to school, theyre just pushing them away even more.

The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving on.-Ulysses S. Grant

BF2142-|TG-Irr| Steezer

CSS- Blood|TG-Irr|

Comment

I see your problem

I like High School. Why did you guys have such a bad time? I wasn't popular, I wasn't some amazing athletic guy... I just enjoyed the structure and environment.

Then again, I went to a very high-tax school
        Skud

Comment

Originally posted by RudeBoy View Post
          SCHOOL IS A PRISON. Maybe they should try filling school with a little less bullspit so kids will want to attend it. i almost feel sorry for the higher ups in these schools. theyre so out of touch with the kids that its disgusting. instead of making them want to go to school, theyre just pushing them away even more.
          I find this kind of attitude hilarious. Tell me, how exactly are you going to make a teenage kid prefer to go to school (which is mandatory until age 16 in most states) over going and hanging out with friends or doing something that doesnt involve books and/or work? Give no homework or classwork? Allow them to wear their ipods and talk on cell phones in class? Perhaps we ought to just build schools on beaches and in theme parks so the kids can have fun instead of going to class, but still remain on campus, making it all okay. I know, how about just making school completely optional so we can foster an entire generation of mindless idiots who will never be qualified to do anything better than ask if you'd like fries with that. Oh, I know, only hire "cool" teachers that the kids are gonna love.

School can be fun. School can be inspirational. It all depends on the kid and how eager they are to have a decent life after they hit 18. This isnt to say that school is for everyone, but your perspective on it is very flawed.

On the main subject, mentholated, you're letting your paranoia get the best of you yet again. The only kids wearing the ankle bracelets are going to be those selected by a judge after they are arrested for truancy or criminal charges during normal school hours. In addition, any student over the age of 16 will be given the option to withdraw from school as an alternative. This is no different than having to wear a tracking bracelet when you're on house arrest. If you're stupid enough to go out and get arrested when you should be in school, you deserve to have your freedom limited.

The RFID tagging thing is just ridiculous fluff, which I'm not going to even go into.

As far as vouchers go, they are a horrible idea. We had them in florida for a while. You know what the big problem is? You take money from the public schools, so they suffer even more. Even with vouchers, a lot of people could never afford to send their kids to private schools, seeing as vouchers dont cover the full cost of tuition at most private schools.

So what happens to these kids? They are then forced to stay at public schools that receive little to no funding because all of the education budget has been allotted to the vouchers the state is giving out. No more new books, no school improvements, lower teacher salaries and benefits. It's been tried, it was a colossal failure. Perhaps in a world where there was infinite funding for education so the public schools still got a fair share of the budget to maintain operations, but thats just not the case. I could go on and on, but I really dont feel like going into it.

Comment

i love half my teachers, school is fun occasionally. but is it a prison? yes. what am i going to do with knowledge of imaginary numbers? many kids wont even use a majority of what they learn in highschool. All the classes that teach me things i need to know, are too expensive. I get to listen to a bunch of idiots in 11th grade complain about how hard pre algebra is, while all they do in class is text their friends. Its rediculous.

what part of higher ups being in touch with students is flawed? I cant wear hats at my school because theyre afraid its going to spark gang fights. I cant wear studs because theyre considered a weapon. If a kid gets into a fist fight to release some anger, he gets a 200$ fine his parents cant pay, he gets arrested and goes to court, and he gets suspended for 5 days. now instead of fighting, he'll just let it build and stab someone after school. ill keep going if anyones interested...

The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving on.-Ulysses S. Grant

BF2142-|TG-Irr| Steezer

CSS- Blood|TG-Irr|

Comment

What do you think you need to know?

Comment

how to fix my car if it breaks down, if i had a class on survival techniques i would absolutely **** my pants. Home ec would be nice. maybe a class on starting a business. More classes on languages other than spanish and french. Maybe a driving course? (my school only has a course for the written portion, no behind the wheel).

BF2142-|TG-Irr| Steezer

CSS- Blood|TG-Irr|

Comment

School (the learning part) was fun for me. The social aspect was a living hell. And largely because the would-be truants were imprisoned there with me, creating that hell. Let them go somewhere else, anywhere else. Deport them, maybe, and bring in some kids from poor countries who actually want to go to school. No need to lock kids up in school.

"Making" kids go to school just punishes those who want to be there.
                  Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Since I graduated high school, I have used chemistry, biology, anatomy, physics, and all of my math clear through calculus, in every day life.

A high school kid saying "I'm not going to need this in high school" is a giant load of hosre poo. You have ABSOLUTELY no idea what you're going to need.

You cant require that teachers are "in-touch" with the youth. What are you gonna do, quiz them once a semester and fire anyone who's not in the know? Ridiculous posturing. In addition, the rules you cited have 0 to do with the teachers. Thats all administrative policy, and good policy at that.

So you cant wear hats or studs. Wearing a hat inside is disrespectful anyway, learn that one so you dont accidentally piss of a girl's parents one day. Who cares if you cant wear hats or studs? Are you THAT obsessed with fashion that it actually pains you to remove your accesories so that you a.) look like a human being and b.) reduce the real risk of sparking unncecessary violence? Maybe you grew up in white suburbia in california where gangs dont exist, but they do. I've seen them first hand. I got jumped when I was 13 and riding my bike home from baseball practice, in a fairly safe neighborhood, all because some west side members rolled past me and saw me wearing a black shirt.

The fighting thing you talked about? ARE YOU SERIOUS? Of course theres penalties! What do you think would happen if you didnt get in trouble for fighting? Could it be that some kids idea of releasing some anger, as you so succinctly put it, means going and finding some kid smaller than him, who probably did nothing wrong, and beating him to a pulp?

I had a great time in high school. I was the short kid, which got me a lot of jokes. But you know what? I had a large group of friends, I worked hard, I partied hard, I graduated and got into a good college. I didnt get all emo because people made fun of my size. I didnt get into hard drugs and street crime (sure, I did some drugs and I shoplifted a thing or two, what kid doesnt?). I didnt have an overwhelming urge to "release some anger" anytime in high school, nor did I unleash pent up rage on anyone. I was a normal kid doing normal things.

Get real here.

Comment

Uh, school isn't a playground, it's not supposed to be fun. Although this is getting away from the 1984 essence of this thread, its really up to you how much you want to enjoy school. If you are going to complain, complain about something you can change, and as for school, it doesn't fall into the latter category so enjoy it while you can, you sure as hell will miss it once it's gone. Keep telling yourself you hate school and you are in for some miserable years ahead of you, trust me.

By the way, I'm a High School senior and likely military (academy?) bound so I'm enjoying every minute of it. Did I mention that my schedule would probably make you cry for your momma too? (AP Physics, AP Government and Econ, AP English Literature, AP Psychology, AP Statistics (I took AP BC Calculus last year and I literally cannot take any more math in my school, and I hate math with a passion))

So no complaining! You have no right to complain! If I can have fun with a schedule like that, you sure as hell can too! Carry on!

Community, not corporation!

TG-Irr BetterDeadThanRe(D)

Xfire-BetterDeadThanRed1

Irregs PR CO

Comment

That's all that you think should be taught in school?

Comment

you win.

BF2142-|TG-Irr| Steezer

CSS- Blood|TG-Irr|

Comment

wonder how many of those kids are going to have parents that have matching anklets?
                            that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                            -Vulcan

Comment

i love half my teachers, school is fun occasionally. but is it a prison? yes. what am i going to do with knowledge of imaginary numbers? many kids wont even use a majority of what they learn in highschool. All the classes that teach me things i need to know, are too expensive. I get to listen to a bunch of idiots in 11th grade complain about how hard pre algebra is, while all they do in class is text their friends. Its rediculous.

what part of higher ups being in touch with students is flawed? I cant wear hats at my school because theyre afraid its going to spark gang fights. I cant wear studs because theyre considered a weapon. If a kid gets into a fist fight to release some anger, he gets a 200$ fine his parents cant pay, he gets arrested and goes to court, and he gets suspended for 5 days. now instead of fighting, he'll just let it build and stab someone after school. ill keep going if anyones interested...
                              I went up to Pre-Calculus. You know what that did for me? It gave me a 93/98 on my ASVAB, qualifying me for almost every job in the Air Force. If I were in any other branch I would probably be 100% qualified for just about everything.

If you live in an area where gangs are a problem, why do you feel any of that is absurd? Anything the school can do to prevent violence is usually a good thing. Plus, it is rude to wear hats indoors, young man.

When is fighting acceptable in High School? It's usually over:

A. A girl - like high school girlfriends matter...
                              B. Chip on your shoulder - excessive pride and a disrespect for others.

None of this was "ridiculous" if you live in an area where kids find violence acceptable and gangs are a problem.

how to fix my car if it breaks down, if i had a class on survival techniques i would absolutely **** my pants. Home ec would be nice. maybe a class on starting a business. More classes on languages other than spanish and french. Maybe a driving course? (my school only has a course for the written portion, no behind the wheel).
                              You don't have an automotive department? My school had a certificate program for Automotive... No Home Ec? Jeez. My school also had a full business department with 5+ courses. My school also had 5 years of Spanish, Latin, and French available.

Survival classes are something you can easily pursue in your own spare time.

What it sounds to me is that you come from a very ruffian-ridden area, with a lot of violence. I guess your district doesn't fund your school as well as they fund mine - but don't blame the school. They are just average people trying to make a living, just like everyone else. They have to MAKE DO with what they HAVE.

My school had one of the largest fine art programs in NY. 20 or so courses, with 13+ teachers, including Advanced Placement college-credit classes. We also had a full Mac lab for Graphic Design and Video Editing. We've had all this since before I was there.

I guess I'm lucky to live in one of the highest property-tax areas in the country... I really feel for you - you would not feel the way you do about school if you were more fortunate to go to a better-funded school. Our academics are some of the highest in our state, our budget is huge, our athletics have some of the best in the sectionals...

Just stick with it.
                              Skud

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...