9 Year Old Little Leaguer banned for being too good

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9 Year Old Little Leaguer banned for being too good

Nine-year-old Jericho Scott is a good baseball player -- too good, it turns out.

A 9-year-old boy may be banned from baseball because of his 40-mph pitch. The right-hander has a fastball that tops out at about 40 mph. He throws so hard that the Youth Baseball League of New Haven told his coach that the boy could not pitch any more. When Jericho took the mound anyway last week, the opposing team forfeited the game, packed its gear and left, his coach said.

Officials for the three-year-old league, which has eight teams and about 100 players, said they will disband Jericho's team, redistributing its players among other squads, and offered to refund $50 sign-up fees to anyone who asks for it. They say Jericho's coach, Wilfred Vidro, has resigned.

Source: http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/story?id=5657693&page=1

Re: 9 Year Old Little Leaguer banned for being too good

You there, stop being good at things! What do you think this is, a competition?

Comment

That is so lame...

Comment

Should sue, losing is a part of playing a game sometimes..
        "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
        'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

It's all in Jericho's still malleable bone structure. His whole pitching arm bows slightly on the down swing from the wind-up giving it that little extra umph. Forfeiting is probably the worst lesson the opposing coach could have taught his team but he did it anyway... I think the wrong person resigned here.

sigpic

Donate Blood. Ask for a gun and a bucket.

Comment

Originally posted by ThaDoctah View Post
            It's all in Jericho's still malleable bone structure. His whole pitching arm bows slightly on the down swing from the wind-up giving it that little extra umph. Forfeiting is probably the worst lesson the opposing coach could have taught his team but he did it anyway... I think the wrong person resigned here.
            Agreed

Comment

This is what's wrong with little league. This is what's wrong with our over-sensitive wussy nation. We're raising a generation of wimps. In many t-ball leagues, they don't keep score so that way there won't be any losers. WHAT? It's a game! It's good to teach children how to deal with both wins and failures in life.
              "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

So the kid is better not because of skill, but because he's a mutant with a rubber arm? :p
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Can't they make an exception and bump him up an age group so he's playing other players at his skill level? This is a really odd solution to the problem. He's not going to be a better player by sitting on the bench.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

If they advanced him then they would be recognizing someone with an advantage, rather than punishing him for it. That would encourage more kids to be better than the collective, which leads to anarchy.

Comment

They did suggest this. From the second page of the news story: "League officials suggested that Jericho play other positions, or pitch against older players or in a different league."

I think this is a small league where everyone is roughly the same age (only 8 teams in the whole league). There is no advanced grouping in it. The league officials suggested that he play in a different league. I presume that would be one with older kids. This is not to say that I think they are right to forbid him from playing. But the parents should have looked in to alternatives. If he really is that good, then the kids in this league pose no challenge, and that's not good for his development.

Comment

If the all 18 kids on the other team are going to strike out, what's the point of playing the game? (for the pitcher, his bored team mates, or the dejected kids at the plate)

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
                          If the all 18 kids on the other team are going to strike out, what's the point of playing the game? (for the pitcher, his bored team mates, or the dejected kids at the plate)
                          They win the game! Duh. If sports are going to be completely fair, let's make sure Michael Phelps is banned from the 2012 Olympics. Are you also one of those folks who think scores shouldn't be kept in little league and t-ball? That way all the kids can get a trophy, just so we can teach them that even if they suck at things, they can still win?! I was horrible at team sports when I was a kid, so I didn't deserve a trophy of any sort. And guess what? I learned the difference between winning and losing at a young age. I learned to concentrate my efforts at things I was actually good at! Thus, instead of worrying about soccer or anything as a youngin', I learned about computers instead. I was way better at that. As much as it may have hurt my feelings win I'd lose at most sports, it was also pretty cool when my older relatives were coming to an 8 year old for computer advice and help.

This kid is good at something! It's sad he isn't rewarded. He may be better than all the kids in HIS age bracket, but he might be worse than all the kids in the higher bracket.
                          "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

They should learn to hit against some heat, maybe? Just because the ball is fast doesn't mean you can't hit it. We learned that in the arcades with Space Invaders. Young Man approached the black monolith that emitted a faint glow and humming noise, and it became clear to him that he should fire not where the alien ship is, but where it is going to be.

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
                              They win the game! Duh. If sports are going to be completely fair, let's make sure Michael Phelps is banned from the 2012 Olympics.
                              You're right. What we should really do is for sports heavily based on sheer physical ability like weightlifting and wrestling, is classify them based on body type, so a skinny guy can compete with a huge manbeast. Perhaps by organizing 'leagues' based around the weight of the athlete, and we can call them 'weight classes'. Man, why didn't anyone think of this before?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X