X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feds screw small business

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washing...-mad-cow_N.htm

Correct me if I don't understand this correctly:
    The feds are not allowing a company to ensure the safety of its customers by barring premium meats compnay from testing each and every cow for mad cow disease because doing so would force larger companies to spend money to compete? Ridiculous!

WASHINGTON (AP) — A federal appeals court says the government can prohibit meat packers from testing their animals for mad cow disease.

Because the Agriculture Department tests only a small percentage of cows for the deadly disease, Kansas meatpacker Creekstone Farms Premium Beef wants to test all of its cows. The government says it can't.

Larger meat companies worry that if Creekstone is allowed to perform the test and advertise its meat as safe, they could be forced to do the expensive test, too.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit on Friday overturned a lower court ruling that would have cleared the way for the testing. The appeals court said restricting the test is within the scope of the government's authority.
    |TG|Switch

Better known as:
    That noob who crashed the chopper.
    That noob who ran over the mine.
    That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
    That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Re: Feds screw small business

No problem. The small guy can now advertise about how they want to test, how the big company doesn't care about your family's health, and the names of everyone who is keeping them from testing their cattle because they do care.

Comment

That's bizarre.
      In game handle: Steel Scion
      sigpic

Comment

I understand the ruling, but I don't like the decision.

My understanding of the original problem was that Japan doesn't import beef unless it's been 100% tested. The U.S. won't create a 100% testing program, so one company tried to do it on their own, but got told that if they bought the kits it would be a crime.

Ridiculous. Whether or not large meat companies wish to do the testing, or have to, I don't believe the USDA should be blocking private companies from trying to do it. This is the kind of thing that makes me worry about nationalized health care. Britain has had issues with taking people off cancer treatments because they endeavored to go out and try to supplement their government care with private money.
        ---
        Sources say the Dow Jones' decline is directly related to Dethklok front-man Nathan Explosion's constant deleting of potential new albums.

Comment

We are the ones getting screwed. This is a classic example of government looking out for their big business masters instead of the people they are supposed to represent.

Comment

Originally posted by Switchcraft View Post
            I understand the ruling, but I don't like the decision.

My understanding of the original problem was that Japan doesn't import beef unless it's been 100% tested. The U.S. won't create a 100% testing program, so one company tried to do it on their own, but got told that if they bought the kits it would be a crime.

Ridiculous. Whether or not large meat companies wish to do the testing, or have to, I don't believe the USDA should be blocking private companies from trying to do it. This is the kind of thing that makes me worry about nationalized health care. Britain has had issues with taking people off cancer treatments because they endeavored to go out and try to supplement their government care with private money.
            The fed does have the right to regulate all foreign trade.

But I don't understand the logic. Why did the court come to this decision?

_+_+__+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_

Your fears are only relevant if we take up a system like Great Britain. If we create one more like Germany and the rich don't even have to participate.

Using your logic we should avoid a standing army because North Korea uses it's standing army to enforce it's horrible policies upon it's people and threaten it's neighbors.
            Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
            - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
            - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
            - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
            - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
            - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
            - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Virtually all regulation screws small businesses.
              A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                The fed does have the right to regulate all foreign trade.

But I don't understand the logic. Why did the court come to this decision?
                The court? The court just had to decide whether or not the feds had the legal right to make the decision. The USDA has the authority, so the courts just can't overturn it because it was a bad decision, the court would have had to find it was beyond the scope of power.

As for why the USDA made the decision, I can't seem to find my copy of the original filing at the moment (I thought I had it saved for a paper I had intended to write, but then I found something more shiny), so I can't quote the arguments. Anyone who can go find a copy, it would be appreciated.
                _+_+__+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_

Your fears are only relevant if we take up a system like Great Britain. If we create one more like Germany and the rich don't even have to participate.

Using your logic we should avoid a standing army because North Korea uses it's standing army to enforce it's horrible policies upon it's people and threaten it's neighbors.
                Well, actually, my fears are based on the idea that the people who implement the policies will not have my best interests at heart. Oregon has state-run health care. A few weeks ago a woman got a letter telling her the state wouldn't pay for a cancer treatment it found too expensive, but reminded her it would pay for assisted suicide.

Since it's true that we might very well adopt a different system where these kinds of things could never happen, I will rephrase my irrelevant fear with a more precise one: I fear putting my government in charge of my health care decisions.
                ---
                Sources say the Dow Jones' decline is directly related to Dethklok front-man Nathan Explosion's constant deleting of potential new albums.

Comment

I second Switchcrafts request. I did a quick google search but couldn't find anything.

As far as the woman being denied treatment. Well, good thing that never happens with private insurance, huh? Because we know that private insurance is only concerned with the patients interests.

Sarcasm aside what is the chance an insurance company would approve the expensive experimental treatment she sought? My insurance company denied payment on a couple of test my doctor recommended for my newborn son. Basic tests like hearing and neurological.
                  - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                  - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                  - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                  - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx View Post
                    Truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
                      We are the ones getting screwed. This is a classic example of government looking out for their big business masters instead of the people they are supposed to represent.
                      Exactly what I was about to put down. Wonder if next president does anything about stuff like this.
                      "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
                      'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

Wonder no more. The next President will not do anything to fix this - even if he/she tries.
                        A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx View Post
                          Virtually no regulation screws everyone*.

*Except for corporations.

Comment

I found some of my notes, but not direct quotes, but searching for keywords in my notes led me to some of the original news articles about this that gave more detail. Anyway, don't flame me for this part, this is just what my notes say:

Japan stopped importing all U.S. beef.
                            Creekstone makes a killing in Asia selling tender beef from young steer.
                            They get Japan to agree to keep buying if 100% of the beef is tested.
                            They build a lab to do it, but need kits or something from the USDA.
                            The USDA's scientists say testing needs to be conducted scientifically, and thus the following issues are raised:
                            • The last positive test for mad cow hurt the industry in a bad bad bad way.
                            • According to their scientists, testing 100% of the beef leads to a higher chance for a false positive, while not measurably improving safety assurance.
                            • The way mad cow disease is spread has already been identified and banned by law, so it would be better to focus on enforcement in that area.
                            • The testing by this particular company will do no good because the cows are too young to be reliably tested, thus increasing the chance of a false positive while providing no assurance that the test will be effective.
                            • The USDA is mandated to protect the interests of the United States beef industry, and so allowing this guy to conduct a "meaningless" test could considerably harm the US economy as it relates to beef.
                            • There is also a considerable possibility of this becoming a marketing issue, in which consumers become convinced that "untested" beef is somehow more dangerous than "tested" beef, leading to a negative economic impact which incurs a massive amount of unnecessary costs for rest of the industry with no tangible benefit.

My thoughts: even this "small" business slaughters 1,000 cattle per day. That's not really all that small. That's a guy who was losing about $200,000 a day in overseas sales and wanted to use what may or may not be a gimmick to help fight that loss. I'll let the scientists discuss whether or not that's the case.

I should point out the USDA was actually supposed to represent the interests of the big businesses in this case. That is, technically, the job of the USDA...to represent, and manage, our agricultural interests. I certainly understand the arguments for and against having an agency that puts big industry interests first, but I'm not sure it's quite plausible to bash them for performing their function. It's like being mad at a traffic cop who tickets you. If he's doing his job right, your problem is probably with the law, not the enforcer. I'm not sure they made the right call anyway, I'd have to know a lot more about the science behind this testing, but maaaaybe the interest of one company to try and make up some lost profits isn't worth the potential harm to the rest of our economy? The managed market and the free market folks can have at it while the science folks mull it over?
                            ---

Comment

Originally posted by GlobalWarmin View Post
                              Virtually no regulation screws everyone*.

*Except for corporations.
                              You're right. Special interests benefit from regulations. Everyone else is screwed.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X